Date: March 14-15, 2009
Hanover Congress Centre
Friday, March 13: 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday, March 14: 8 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).Important Notice About Prizes at Grand Prix–Hanover
Local authorities in Hanover requested that Wizards of the Coast cease paying cash prizes at Grand Prix–Hanover, and we are complying with this request. The top 64 competitors will instead receive credit for goods from Wizards of the Coast and/or our partners. In addition, we are reducing the entry fee to €15. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change.
Take part in a weekend of serious Magic fun with a bunch of exciting things to do!
Join the fun in Public Events including 8-players pick-up games, Intro Pack Open Dueling and more.
Meet Magic artists Volkan Baga and Steve Prescott and get your cards signed. Battle against a Pro in the "Champion Challenge." Or take part in the main tournament and get a cool foil Chrome Mox promo card!
Whatever you want to do, Grand Prix-Hanover will be a weekend to remember!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Format: Extended Constructed
Participation Fee: 15€
Grand Prix–Hanover will feed Pro Tour–Honolulu.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, March 13: Registration 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, March 14: Registration 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
- Saturday, March 14: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, March 15: Day Two begins at 8 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Hanover is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Extended Constructed
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 11, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 2000 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on March 11, 2009.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Hanover Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 11, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 1900 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on March 11, 2009.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 11, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 1800 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on March 11, 2009.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Half Price Drafting
Participate in an 8-player single elimination draft tournament before 15.00 on Saturday and pay only half the normal entry fee.
In the open dueling area you can play quick games with other registered players. You can earn cool promos and if you don’t have a deck, there are intro decks available.
Registration for scheduled events opens an hour before the event and closes 15 minutes before the event with the exception of the PTQ.
11.00 8-Player Single Elimination pick up tournaments.
15.00 2 Headed Giant - Limited (4 rounds, prize payout based on point standing)
16.00 Start Registration for PTQ Honolulu
The start of the last public events will be four hours prior to the estimated end of the main event but not earlier then 16.00.
08.00 Registration for PTQ Honolulu
08.30 PTQ Honolulu – Extended – Winner will receive an invite and a flight to Honolulu
09.00 Legacy – iPod tournament
12.30 Shards of Alara Sealed Deck tournament. (Product: 3 Shards of Alara boosters, 3 Conflux boosters, 5 rounds, prize payout based on point standing)
ARTISTS: STEVE PRESCOTT and VOLKAN BAGA
(Note: rk Post will not be in attendance as previously announced. Wizards of the Coast apologies for any inconveniece. As a replacement, Volkan Baga will be appearing at the event on Saturday.
Steve Prescott has been working as an illustrator in the gaming industry since the mid 90s. He has done countless jobs for White Wolf, FASA, Fanpro, Paizo Publishing, Upper Deck, Kosmos (BlueMoon Buka), and Wizards of the Coast. In 2005, he was called upon to help concept design the Lorwyn block for Magic: The Gathering, earning him the opportunity to paint the prerelease Wren's Run Packmaster card and some 40 other cards for the block including Shriekmaw, Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile, Knollspine Dragon, Rhys the Exiled, Rhys the Redeemed, Augury Adept and Stonehewer Giant, not to mention the packaging artwork for Morningtide. Steve also has numerous cards in the Shards of Alara and Conflux sets and has his hands in upcoming Magic projects as well.
Volkan Baga is one of the next generation of artists crafting amazing images for Magic: The Gathering. Currently living in Würzburg, Germany, this 31-year-old is no stranger to great Magic art. Having worked as a studio assistant to Donato Giancola, Volkan developed strong classic roots. Baga’s Stoic Angel, Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Ranger of Eos from Shards of Alara demonstrate his timeless style.
Other Hall Attractions
The Champions Challenge: Play Against Magic Champions
Want to see how you fare against the Magic champions? Come to the Champions Challenge area and test your skills against top pro players.
Travel by Car
Directions can easily be found at the venue website www.hcc.de.
Travel by Plane
Hanover has an airport which connects to a number of big cities in Europe. The official website of Hanover-Langenhagen Airport, including timetables of arrivals and departures, is www.hannover-airport.de.
Public Transport to Venue
To access the Hannover Congress Centre, take bus 128 from Hanover Main Station (“Hauptbahnhof”) towards “Peiner Straße” or bus 134 towards “Bus Depot Süd”. This will take you approximately 10 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from the driver.
Things to See/Do
If you want to explore Hanover, you can take a look at the website www.hannover.de.
Hanover Congress Centre