The Magic: The Gathering
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix—Shizuoka is Standard. All DCI
- Friday, March 7: Registration from 16:00-20:00. Players who cannot attend registration will be allowed to register on Saturday morning between 08:30 and 09:00 for an additional fee of ¥500.
- Saturday, March 8: Tournament begins at 09:00. The Top 64 players from Day 1 advance to Day 2. (In the event Grand Prix—Shizuoka has more than 800 players, the Top 128 players from Day 1 will advance to Day 2.)
- Sunday, March 9: Play begins at 09:00. The Top 8 players from Day 2 will play 3 rounds of single-elimination competition to determine the Grand Prix—Shizuoka champion.
Twin Messe Shizuoka
3-1-10 Magarikane, Suruga-ku
www.t-messe.or.jp (Japanese only)
ACCESS TO TWIN MESSE SHIZUOKA
- 15 minutes on foot Kasuga-chou station
- 7 minutes by car from JR Shizuoka station
¥ 2,500 (¥ 3,000 on Saturday)
TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
Registration will be held on site on Friday and Saturday morning.
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Japan Organized Play Manager
The main tournament at Grand Prix—Shizuoka is open to Magic players of all ages.
The structure for Grand Prix—Shizuoka will be modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds), with the number of rounds determined by the number of participating players. If the event has 799 participants or less, the Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. If the event has 800 or more participants, the Top 128 will advance to Day 2.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix—Shizuoka will be Takeshi Miyasaka (Level 3, Japan).
Tournament Divisions and Prizes
All participants of Grand Prix—Shizuoka will receive a ¥200 discount coupon valid for any on-demand tournament, as well as a special Call of the Herd premium card.
The Top 16 players will receive invitations to Pro Tour—Hollywood, scheduled for May 23-25, 2008. In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix—Shizuoka will feature the standard Grand Prix prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. dollars.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule
Finish Prize Pro Points 1 $3,500 8 2 $2,300 6 3-4 $1,500 5 5–8 $1,000 4 9–12 $600 3 13–16 $500 3 17–32 $400 2 33-64 $200 1 Total: $30,000
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher.
- Winners of a Grand Prix—Shizuoka Trial tournament.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix (March 5, 2008).
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix (March 5, 2008).
- Players with a Players Club level of 1.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix (March 5, 2008).
- Grand Prix—Shizuoka Trial Tournaments
- Pro Tour—Hollywood Qualifier Tournament
- Tribal War Standard Tournament
- Three Kingdoms Vintage Tournament
- Eight-person on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
GRAND PRIX—SHIZUOKA TRIAL TOURNAMENTS
When: Friday, March 7
Registration: March 7, 12:00-15:00
Entry Fee: ¥1,000
Trials will be run in flights of 32 players throughout the day during the registration time given above. The winner of each 5-round single-elimination Trial will receive a Three-Round bye at the Grand Prix.
Additional trials will be held across Japan in the months before the Grand Prix, each awarding at least a Three-Round bye. For details, please see the Grand Prix—Shizuoka Trial page.
PRO TOUR—HOLLYWOOD QUALIFIER TOURNAMENT
When: Sunday, March 9
Registration: March 8, 17:00 – end of last round
Entry Fee: ¥2,000
The winner of the Qualifier tournament will receive an invitation and airfare to Pro Tour—Hollywood, scheduled for May 23-25, 2008. Booster packs will also be awarded to top finishers.
TRIBAL WARS STANDARD TOURNAMENT
When: Sunday, March 9
Registration: March 9, 9:00-10:00
Entry Fee: ¥1000
Format: Tribal Standard (see below)
At least one-third of the cards in decks for this non-sanctioned tournament must have one of the following types: Elf, Elemental, Faerie, Giant, Goblin, Kithkin, Merfolk, or Treefolk. Tribal instant/sorcery/enchantment cards and cards with changeling count toward the total. (Sideboards are not used in this format.)
The winner of the Tribal Wars tournament will receive a special uncut sheet of Morningtide rare cards, straight from the factory. Other top finishers will receive Morningtide boosters.
THREE KINGDOMS VINTAGE TOURNAMENT
When: Sunday, March 9
Registration: March 9, 11:00-12:00
Entry Fee: ¥1500
The winner of the Vintage tournament will receive an unopened display of Japanese-edition Portal: Three Kingdoms booster packs. Other top finishers will receive booster packs from various past expansions.
EIGHT-PERSON ON-DEMAND TOURNAMENTS
- Constructed: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,200
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
SPECIAL GUEST ARTIST
Hotel Century Shizuoka
Single rooms from ¥ 11,000
Hotel New Shizuoka
Single rooms from ¥ 7,500
Shizuoka Orange Hotel
Single rooms from ¥ 5,600