Magic: The Gathering® Pro Tour™–Kyoto 2008 Qualifier
December 6-7, 2008
Welcome to Middle Earth – hope you packed your axe!
The Magic: The Gathering® Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring cash prizes and multiple invitations to Pro Tour™ events. For the first time in Magic History, New Zealand will play host to one of these prestigious events. Home to the cinematic Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Loveable Kiwis, All Blacks Rugby, and now top level Magic, the locals stand ready to defend their hallowed turf
The main event is all about competition, but there are also plenty of other reasons to come. Grand Prix's are pure Magic events. Besides the main tournaments, there's plenty of excitement throughout the weekend that you can enjoy... Side events, Magic artists on site to sign your Magic cards, Gunslinging and lots more...
Ellerslie Events Centre
- Tournament Format: Shards of Alara Sealed Deck
- Participation Fee: NZD40
Friday 5 December : from 3.00 to 8:00 P.M.
Saturday 6 December: from 8:00 to 8.45AM.
- Tournament begins: 09:00 A.M
- Sunday 7 December: The top 64 players begin play at 9:00 A.M.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (day1) and Professional (day2)
- The Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players draft and play off in a knockout format.
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to Pro Tour Kyoto
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds of Day 1
- If the event has 799 participants or less, the Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. If the event has 800 or more participants, the top 128 will advance to day 2.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Auckland Mark Brown, Level 4 from Melbourne Australia.
If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix–Auckland, please contact Rob Teirney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Competitive REL Day 1, Professional REL Day 2
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Invitations, Eligibility, and Prize Money
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Auckland is open to Magic players of all ages.
In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI™ player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
- All participants in the Grand Prix will receive a Call of the Herd exclusive Grand Prix foil card, while supplies last
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to Pro Tour-Kyoto 2008.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited ratings published on Thursday 4 December.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited ratings published on Thursday 4 December.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited ratings published on Thursday 4 December.
Grand Prix Trials
Friday, December 5
12:00 – 8:00 PM
Format: Shards of Alara Sealed Deck
Location: Ellerslie Events Centre
Prizes: Top player in each flight receives a Third-Round bye at the Grand Prix, Product Prizes
Other Grand Prix–Auckland Trials will be run throughout Australia and New Zealand in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 Third-Round bye to Grand Prix–Auckland. A full schedule will be available here.
The complete public event schedule is here.
But wait there’s more…
Besides the main tournament and plenty of side events, GP Auckland has a lot to offer.
- Get your cards signed!
We are delighted to announce that two well known Magic Artists will be attending GP Auckland. Chippy and New Zealand’s own Warren Mahy will be on site
- Want to be a Magic judge?
Then take a judge test on site and maybe you’ll be attending the next Grand Prix as a certified judge.
Located a five minute stroll across parklands from the event venue we can recommend HOTEL IBIS as a great pace to base yourself. We have negotiated a special rate for players at this event and you can access this by emailing the Ibis Hotel Directly at H3060email@example.com. For other terrific options check out the Auckland Tourism Auckland website
TRAVEL BY PLANE:
More than 20 international airlines serve Auckland International Airport, which is conveniently situated less than 30 minutes from The Ellerslie Events Centre. Together they provide scheduled flights from destinations all over the globe.
Travel by Car:
The Ellerslie Events Centre is located in the inner city suburb of Ellerslie. It is a 15 minute taxi ride from the city centre and is well served by public transport, including trains and buses
Do you have any comments or suggestions? Drop them in the Idea Box that you'll find at the tournament site.
For more information on the GP contact
WotC Organised Play Territory Mgr
Tel: +61 2 9804 4122