What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Super Tuesdays: An Interview with Randy Buehler
- Tempest Remastered Releases Tuesday, May 6
- Magic Online Championship Series Season 5 Ends April 29
- New Episode of Vintage Super League Tonight and Finals on Sunday
- Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed PTQ
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, April 29
- Downtime for April 22, 2015
- Build Notes
- Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Super Tuesdays: An Interview with Randy Buehler
The Standard Super League begins on Tuesday, April 28, just days after the Vintage Super League Finals come to a close on Sunday, April 26. No longer do fans have to wait for more league action between seasons. Super Tuesday will be a day that viewers can tune in to get their weekly dose of innovative decks and expert gameplay across a variety of formats, dependent on the current season.
How did the Standard Super League come to be? Where did the idea of the Vintage Super League originally come from, and what are the logistics of running a Super League? Randy Buehler was kind enough to speak with us about these questions and more in an interview.
Tempest Remastered Releases Tuesday, May 6
Tempest Remastered is coming out May 6, 2015, only on Magic Online! For the first run, Tempest Remastered will be available in the Magic Online Store until May 27. To coincide with the sale of the set, we'll have an array of queues and scheduled events running throughout the same three-week period.
Can't wait for Tempest Remastered? Take a look at the full card image gallery as well as an interview with the lead designers on MTGO.com. Once you're done perusing those, check back on Monday, April 27, for a full schedule of Tempest Remastered Events!
Magic Online Championship Series Season 5 Ends April 29
Season 5 of the Magic Online Championship Series is coming to a close on Wednesday, April 29. Remember, this means it's your last chance to get the Season 5 MOCS promo—a full-art Damnation!
Earning 15 Qualifier Points (QPs) will earn you a copy of this season's MOCS promo card. Players get one promo for every 15 QPs earned. Players can earn QPs from MOCS Events, PTQ Events, Release Events, and more! Get more details about the Magic Online Championship Series here.
New Episode of Vintage Super League Tonight and Finals on Sunday
The Vintage Super League pits Magic celebrities against one another with Magic's oldest and most powerful cards as their weapons of choice. Check it out tonight at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on twitch.tv/magic. After that, mark your calendars and make sure to watch the Vintage Super League finals on Sunday, April 26!
For a review of the current state of the league, as well as a look at what's coming up in tonight's semifinals episode, head over to Randy Buehler's latest article.
Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed PTQ
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, a Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) is approaching! The Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, April 22, and run through Saturday, April 25. We hope to see you in the PTQ Finals on Sunday, April 26!
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, April 29
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, April 29, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC), midnight, and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC) leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC). The system is estimated to return from downtime at 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC).
Downtime for April 22, 2015
A download is required this week.
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, April 22, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (12:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific(14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
- Building, Trade | We have increased the areas in which selections in one scene carry over to other scenes such as when deck building or trading. An example of this is if change your settings such that you build a Limited deck in List view, when you enter Sideboarding the List view selection will be maintained.
- Chat | Players can now copy/paste large amounts of text from the Chat area of the client without erroneous characters appearing.
- Collection | Fixed a crash that would occur when a player had an existing but invalidly named trade binder.
- Collection | Improved the speed and memory footprint of navigating to and from the Collection scene.
- Collection | The “Loading Card Collection” message will no longer display if the game is minimized during the loading process.
- Collection | When making a copy of a deck, the copies name now respects character limits for deck names.
- Duel Scene | Fixed a crash that would occasionally occur when a player was required to split damage.
- Duel Scene | We have reverted work done around how triggers were being automatically stacked. This change will allow players to properly stack triggers from cards such as Amulet of Vigor. If you want your triggers to stack automatically, F7 is the default hotkey for doing so.
- Event Details | Countdown timer for events now displays correct time remaining even if user has an inaccurate time set on their local clock.
- Event Details | Players would crash if they attempted to edit details around names of events.
- Memory Leak | Fixed a memory leak that would be caused on rare occasion by foil animations.
- Replay | Game numbers are now properly labeled as such while loading up a replay. The game number can be found on the top title bar while watching a replay.
- Sideboarding | Fixed an issue that would cause cards to be duplicated while in the Sideboard scene which would then prevent the player from submitting their deck.
- Store | Fixed a crash that would occur if a player navigated to the Store scene before the Store data was loaded.
- Trade | Fixed a crash that could occur when you were trading with the same trade partner as you had traded with previously.
- Trade | Fixed a crash that would occur when one player left a trade while the other player was interacting with the Trade scene.
- Watcher Mode | Fixed a couple of crashes that would occur for watchers as they joined a match in progress. In addition, fixed an issue where a watcher would only see select cards if they had watched a prior game of the match.
Magic Online Game Play
- BNG | Courser of Kruphix now reveals the top card of library if no land plays left after casting See the Unwritten.
- Cardset | Priority is now passed correctly for a player who is attacking with a creature that has non-mana costs to attack.
- DIS | Protean Hulk updated to ensure it can only put the correct amount of creatures onto the battlefield.
- DTK | Blessed Reincarnation properly shuffles target creature owner's library.
- DTK | Corpseweft's activated ability has been updated to display the correct X value on the stack as blue rules text.
- DTK | Kolaghan's Command no longer deals damage to a creature and a player when using the discard mode.
- DTK | Living Lore now correctly recognizes split cards mana costs and is able to select split cards in the graveyard as valid targets.
- DTK | Having out multiple Enduring Scalelords will no longer be able to lead to a game restart.
- DTK | Mana created by Qarsi Deceiver now correctly can only be used to cast a face-down creature spell, pay a mana cost to turn a manifested creature face up, or pay a morph cost.
- DTK | The ‘F2’ control will no longer cancel the search for a land using ‘Fetchlands.’
- Duel Scene | Balustrade Spy's trigger now functions correctly if the target player's decks contains no lands.
- Duel Scene | Catch // Release fixed to prevent a game hang if a player can't sacrifice a permanent of each type.
- Duel Scene | Goblinslide’s effect now correctly untaps lands when cancelled by the player.
- Duel Scene | Jarad's Orders updated so second card clicked isn’t put into opponent's graveyard.
- Duel Scene | Ruthless Deathfang has been fixed so its trigger will occur multiple times when it and other creatures are sacrificed simultaneously by their controller.
- Duel Scene | Scale Blessing no longer causes additional triggers for Enduring Scalelord if creatures died with +1/+1 counters on them.
- Duel Scene | Stolen Goods properly exiles the last card in a library when appropriate.
- Duel Scene | Players will no longer be prompted to pay mana in addition to the life cost when Athreos, God of Passage triggers.
- General | Lands can now be played off Hideaway lands.
- JOU | Daring Thief is now able to target opponent's lands that share a type with your permanent.
- M11 | Protean Hydra properly gains counters after preventing damage.
Look and Feel
- BNG | Retraction Helix properly displays the grafted ability on the targeted creature.
- Card Display | Hybrid cards have been updated to display the correct title and type plaques.
- Card Display | The promotional versions of Sword of Feast and Famine and Sword of Fire and Ice no longer have black lines in their art.
- Collection | Type line displays correctly for cards from sets older than Eighth Edition.
- Duel Scene | Art is no longer "locked" in peek position if opponent gains control of manifested card while peeking at it.
- Duel Scene | Cards with the Nyx background have been updated to display the correct color background when their abilities are on the stack.
- General | Removed a blank space in certain context menus.
- General | When a player uses Thirst for Knowledge and is prompted to discard, highlighting has been updated so all cards in the player’s hand have the same appearance.
- TPR | The targets for the second activated ability of Thopter Squadron are now highlighted uniformly instead of in two colors.
April 6-April 22—Dragons of Tarkir Release Events
April 22-April 25—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
April 26—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
April 29-May 1—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
May 2—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
May 3—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
May 6-May 27—Tempest Remastered Events