What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Article Detailing Constructed Changes coming to Magic Online
- Magic Origins Prerelease Events Begin This Weekend
- The Holiday Cube Ends Wednesday, July 22
- Constructed Prizes and Events Rotate on July 29
- Redemptions Processed During July 29 Downtime Will Be Slightly Delayed
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, June 29
- Downtime for July 22, 2015
- Build Notes
- Magic Origins Known Issues
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Article Detailing Constructed Changes coming to Magic Online
Constructed play on Magic Online is undergoing some pretty big changes that will roll out during the Wednesday, August 12, downtime. In his latest article, Lee Sharpe talks about all of the new uses for the Play Points that will be replacing Phantom Points in player accounts this Wednesday, July 22.
Get the full details here.
Magic Origins Prerelease Events Begin This Weekend
Magic Origins Prerelease Events come to Magic Online this Friday, July 24!
The Swiss Draft will give players a shot at drafting Magic Origins for the first time. Meanwhile, the Friendly and Competitive Sealed events make their comeback, now with six Magic Origins boosters plus the seed booster of your chosen color. Pay particular attention to the participation avatars this time around—there are five of them and some are only available during the Prerelease!
Get the full scoop on Magic Origins Prerelease and Release Events here.
The Holiday Cube Ends Wednesday, July 22
Check out Lee Sharpe's article for details about Holiday Cube Events.
Get the full, newly-updated Holiday Cube list here.
Constructed Prizes and Events Rotate on July 29
Beginning after the Wednesday, July 29, downtime, Constructed Dailies and Constructed Queues that currently award Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir booster packs will begin awarding Magic Origins booster packs. See the below prize tables for a look at how prizes are changing.
Constructed 8-Player Queues
|1st||5 Magic Origins booster packs||2|
|2nd||3 Magic Origins booster packs||1|
|3rd-4th||2 Magic Origins booster packs||0|
Constructed 2-Player Queues
|1st||1 Magic Origins booster pack||0|
Constructed Daily Events
|4 Wins||11 Magic Origins booster packs||3|
|3 Wins||6 Magic Origins booster packs||1|
Redemptions Processed During July 29 Downtime Will Be Slightly Delayed
As a heads up to those of you who are planning to redeem a set sometime soon, we have a slight shipping delay on the horizon. Any redemptions that are processed during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime will not be shipped until Thursday, August, 6.
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, July 29
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, July 29, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC), midnight, and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC) leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC). The system is estimated to return from downtime at 1:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC).
Downtime for July 22, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, July 22, at 4:00 a.m. Pacific (11:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
Magic Origins comes with exciting client updates to improve clarity of game events. A feature has also been added to prevent players from making decisions that would negatively impact them.
- Phantom Points have been retired and replaced by Play Points. All Phantom Points in player accounts have been replaced at the rate of 6 Play Points for each Phantom Point removed. Learn more about what Play Points can be used for here.
- General | If a user logs out and back in during an event, locked cards are no longer treated as not being in the user’s collection.
- Collection | Preconstructed decks now correctly create decklists in the Collection Scene when opened.
- Free Trial | The Free Trial has been updated to now offer decks featuring Magic Origins.
- Collection | The New Player Kit that comes with a new account has been updated.
- Account Sign Up | The account sign up page has been updated with Magic Origins images and text reflecting the changes to the New Player Kit.
- Trade | Magic Online no longer crashes during a trade when importing a deck using the Search Tool.
- Trade | Magic Online no longer crashes when you use the “Add X to Trade” option in a trade after adding cards to a trade from your Wish List.
- Trade | Magic Online no longer crashes when you immediately click on the Trade Tab upon logging in.
- Trade | Players can once again remove items from an active trade while trading with a player using a trade binder containing more than 50,000 objects.
- Deckbuilding | You can once again add basic lands during deckbuilding if you don’t have any basic lands in your collection.
- Duel Scene | All Sun’s Dawn no longer occasionally crashes the game when choosing targets.
- Duel Scene | Colored mana generated from Crucible of the Spirit Dragon’s third ability can now correctly be used to pay generic mana costs.
- Duel Scene | Paying costs for attacking and blocking has been updated to provide users with clearer information about their options.
- Duel Scene | Abilities that provide users with many options for producing mana in combinations of colors have been simplified, making cards like Smokebraider easier to use.
- Duel Scene | Draco’s upkeep cost is now properly being reduced.
- Duel Scene | Genesis Hydra’s prompt box has been updated to show the correct value of X.
- Duel Scene | Tempting Wurm no longer allows players to put planeswalkers onto the battlefield using its ability.
- Duel Scene | Noble Quarry’s “must block if able” now works correctly after blocking is cancelled.
- Duel Scene | Infernal Tutor has been fixed. Users can now correctly choose to fail to find while not hellbent.
- Duel Scene | Players who control creatures with conflicting blocking requirements, such as a Mogg Flunkies that has been targeted by Provoke, can now correctly declare blockers.
- Duel Scene | Sundering Titan no longer occasionally resets the game during resolution of its triggered ability.
Look and Feel
- Duel Scene | Animations in the Duel Scene have been updated to show more frames as cards transition between zones while also enhancing performance of animations. See Alli Medwin’s upcoming article on 7/27 for more information on these changes.
- General | Premium cards have a new treatment that both looks better and uses less system resources. See Alli Medwin’s upcoming article on 7/27 for more information on these changes. You can turn these animations on by going to the Account Scene and clicking the “Animate Foil Treatment” button.
- General | Double-faced cards and planeswalkers have each received both performance enhancements and visual enhancements.
- Duel Scene | Additional information about counters is now included in the menu that appears when right-clicking am object in the Duel Scene. For example, both planeswalker starting loyalty and the number of counters of each type on a permanent will now appear on right-click.
- Duel Scene | Damage marked on permanents now appears while zooming in on that permanent.
- Duel Scene | Hornet tokens created by Hornet Cannon have been updated to correctly show the artifact type.
- Duel Scene | Planeswalker commanders from Commander 2014 now correctly show their art when zoomed.
- Duel Scene | Cards with multiple additional costs (such as Silvergill Adept) have been updated to ensure their context menus display correctly.
- Duel Scene | Renowned Weaponsmith now has the correct wording in its prompt when the second activated ability is used.
- Duel Scene | The “reveal a dragon” mechanic found on many Dragons of Tarkir cards has been updated to reflect the revealed card in the game log.
Magic Origins Known Issues
- Collection | When zoomed, Magic Origins planeswalkers display the incorrect card symbol.
- Duel Scene | Casting any red instant or sorcery automatically removes mana generated from Pyromancer's Goggles if the mana is already floating in the user’s mana pool.
- Duel Scene | Creatures selected for the activated ability granted by Consecrated by Blood do not have a red highlight around the card. The number of creatures remaining to sacrifice is also incorrectly not displayed in the prompt box.
- Duel Scene | Hallowed Moonlight does not create an ability in the effects zone.
- Duel Scene | Murder Investigation does not display “X equals” blue rules text on the stack.
- Duel Scene | The delayed triggered ability of Liliana, Defiant Necromancer incorrectly does not display association arrows with creatures sent to the graveyard.
- Duel Scene | The first loyalty ability of Gideon, Battle-Forged removes attacking requirements from creatures.
- Duel Scene | The game log does not list the seven cards revealed by Talent of the Telepath.
- Duel Scene | The mana ability of Fertile Ground and similar cards incorrectly provides mana when the enchanted permanent is tapped for zero mana.
- Duel Scene | Using the activated ability of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy when five or fewer cards are in the graveyard displays a placeholder string in the game log.
- Duel Scene | In some circumstances, users are not allowed to choose the order of multiple replacement effects.
- Duel Scene | Nissa, Sage Animist's third loyalty ability has an extra apostrophe in the text.
- Duel Scene | The stack window incorrectly resizes only vertically and not horizontally.
- Duel Scene | When Sakashima the Imposter copies a Timberpack Wolf, it does not get +1/+1 for other Timberpack Wolves.
- Duel Scene | In a Commander game, a Magic Origins planeswalker that is the player’s commander will not return to the battlefield transformed when its owner chooses to send it back to the command zone.
- Duel Scene | We planned to implement the Commander rule commonly referred to as the “tuck rule” with the Magic Origins release during the July 22 downtime. This rule, which allows a player to put his or her commander in the command zone if it would go the library or hand, is proving more difficult than originally expected to implement. Because of this, the Commander change will not go live at this time. We want to take time to ensure the rule functions correctly in a wide, wide variety of Commander game situations, and that will take more development time.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now-July 22—Holiday Cube Events
July 24-July 27—Magic Origins Prerelease Events
July 27-August 12—Magic Origins Release Events
July 29-July 31—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
July 29-August 1—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
August 1—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
August 2—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 5-August 7—Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries
August 8—Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)