What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- August 2015 Event Updates
- Magic Origins Release Events End August 12
- Constructed Changes Coming to Magic Online August 12
- Magic Origins Limited Championship Qualifiers Begin August 12
- Standard Super League Returns Tonight, August 11
- Announcing September (Season 10) MOCS and MOPR Promos
- The Legendary Cube
- Magic Online Judge Open on Saturday, August 29
- Path to Exile Promo Miscommunication and Fix
- Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
- Magic Origins Redemption Information
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, August 26
- Downtime for August 12, 2015
- Build Notes
- Magic Origins Known Issues
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
August 2015 Event Updates
Relive the dangers of Zendikar via Rise of the Eldrazi Flashback drafts! Practice in for the MOCS Season 9 Legacy Cube Qualifiers with our 2-player Phantom Sealed Queue! Get the full details on these, as well as other Magic Online event updates, in Digital Product Manager for Magic Online Events Lee Sharpe's latest article.
Magic Origins Release Events End August 12
Magic Origins Release Events are only around until the Wednesday, August 12, downtime!
For Draft fans, the Pack-per-Win Swiss Draft makes its triumphant return and runs alongside the 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 Single Elimination Drafts in the Limited Queues Room. Try out any of the three and you'll get the Nissa, Vastwood Seer Avatar just for participating. Once you have a feel for the set, raise the stakes with the Magic Origins Release 64-Player Single Elimination Event, and get the Liliana, Heretical Healer Avatar while you're at it.
Prefer Sealed? Try out the Release Swiss Sealed and get the Kytheon, Hero of Akros Avatar—that's the only place you'll be able to earn it throughout Release Events.
Get the full Magic Origins Release Event schedule here.
Constructed Changes Coming to Magic Online August 12
Constructed play on Magic Online is undergoing some pretty big changes that will roll out during the Wednesday, August 12, downtime. If you missed it the first time around, Lee Sharpe wrote an article about all of the new uses for the Play Points that replaced Phantom Points in player accounts on Wednesday, July 22.
Magic Origins Limited Championship Qualifiers Begin August 12
Magic Origins Release Events are almost behind you now. You've been showing off your spell mastery prowess, slinging spells with a furor that has earned you no small amount of renown. Menacing at prospective foes from your computer screen, you ask yourself, "What's next?"
The Magic Origins Championships are coming soon to Magic Online, beginning with Limited Qualifiers on Wednesday, August 12, at 12:30 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7)!
Check out the Magic Origins Championship article for full event details.
Standard Super League Returns Tonight, August 11
The Standard Super League kicks off a mini-season tonight, August 11 at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on twitch.tv/magic!
If you missed it the first time around, Randy Buehler wrote an article that details how three Super League mini-seasons will qualify players for a Super League Championship later this year. Who will emerge as the Super League grand champion? Find out by watching along!
Announcing September (Season 10) MOCS and MOPR Promos
The MOCS 2015 September Season runs from August 26, 2015, through September 30, 2015. The promo card is:
The September MOPR period runs from August 26, 2015, through September 30, 2015. Here are the promo cards:
Note: Since deploying Magic Origins on Magic Online, we've discovered that the promo version of Mizzium Meddler made its way into the client without a set symbol. The set symbol will be added with the launch of Battle for Zendikar.
Play in one or more events during the September season, and you’ll get a nonfoil Mizzium Meddler. Five or more and you’ll get an additional foil Mizzium Meddler. Spend at least $20 total in the Magic Online Store during Season 9, and you’ll get a nonfoil Orator of Ojutai. By spending $40 or more, you’ll get an additional, premium, Orator of Ojutai.
And remember, this means it's your last chance to get the Season 9 MOCS and MOPR promos, like this full-art Cryptic Command.
Earning 15 Qualifier Points (QPs) will earn you a copy of this season's MOCS promo card. You get one promo for every 15 QPs you earn. Players can earn QPs from MOCS Events, PTQ Events, Release Events, and more! Get more details about the Magic Online Championship Series here.
Magic Online Player Rewards (MOPR) promos are earned a bit differently. In the MOPR program, Magic Online players are rewarded for participating in tournaments of a sufficient size, as well as making purchases in the Magic Online Store. Learn about the specifics of the program here.
The Legendary Cube
The Legendary Cube, featuring cards from Commander (2015 Edition), is coming to Magic Online on November 18. The Legendary Cube will offer a new style of play and a new way to award prizes, too!
Get all the details in the full article.
Magic Online Judge Open on Saturday, August 29
The Magic Online Judge Open (MOJO) pits the folks who know Magic's rules the best—Magic judges—in a head-to-head competition. Applications for the final MOJO event of the year, the Iwazaru MOJO, are still open. If there's a judge in your life (including yourself) who hasn't signed up yet, apply now!
Check out the decklists from the August 8, 2015 Magic Online Judge Open.
Learn more about being a Magic judge.
Magic Online Judge Open
Start Time: Saturday, August 29, 11:00 a.m. All times are Pacific (for UTC, add 7 hours).
Location: Scheduled Events
- Option 1: Invite Only
Product: Magic Online will provide 6 Phantom Magic Origins booster packs
All Boosters are Phantom product and will not be added to a player's collection at the conclusion of the event
Size: 8-1024 players
Play Style: Swiss
Duration: 20 minutes deck-building time. Five rounds, each round up to 50 minutes.
|5 Wins||5 Magic Origins booster packs and a non-premium Moat promo||0|
|4 Wins||4 Magic Origins booster packs and a non-premium Moat promo||0|
|3 Wins||3 Magic Origins booster packs||0|
|2 Wins||2 Magic Origins booster packs||0|
|1 Win||1 Magic Origins booster pack||0|
Note: All participants will receive a Grand Arbiter Augustin IV Avatar.
Path to Exile Promo Miscommunication and Fix
When Season 9 Promos were granted during last week's downtime, it came to our attention that there was a miscommunication regarding which version of the Path to Exile promo was being awarded to players as part of the Magic Online Player Rewards program. We advertised one promo on the website and granted another during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime.
We apologize for this error in communication and would like to make it up to players by giving everyone who qualified for last month's MOPR reward the Path to Exile promo that was advertised on MTGO.com in addition to the version they already received during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime. Expect to find the advertised version of Path to Exile in your account following the Wednesday, August 5, downtime. Thank you for your understanding!
Version that was granted during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime.
Version that was advertised on the website.
Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, there's a double Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) weekend coming up! Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries and the Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, August 12, and run through the day preceding each Finals Event.
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Magic Origins Redemption Information
Magic Origins becomes available for redemption on Wednesday, August 26, about one month after its digital release. If you collect the whole set on Magic Online, you can exchange it for a full, paper version! If you're interested in redeeming Magic Origins, don't wait too long—because the set won't be available to redeem forever.
Learn more about Magic Online redemption.
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, August 26
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, August 26, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC), midnight, and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC) leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC). The system is estimated to return from downtime at 1:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC).
Downtime for August 12, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, August 12, at 4:00 a.m. Pacific (11:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
- Please refer to the section above for information about the additional Path to Exile promo that is being granted to qualified players during the Wednesday, August 5, downtime.
- General | Several bugs that caused the client to close abruptly or stop responding have been addressed.
- Draft Scene | The Draft window for Top 8 drafts now properly comes to the foreground upon starting in all situations.
- Home Scene | The countdown timer for Featured Tournaments now displays the correct time to all players regardless of each player’s hardware configuration.
- Collection | The Add Land function in Limited deckbuilding no longer adds gold-border lands to your deck if no basic lands are in your collection.
- Collection | Digital objects in the “Other Products” tab in the Collection Scene now no longer inappropriately display in the Cards tab.
- Account Creation | Security questions in Account Creation can now be up to 68 characters long.
- Account Creation | Removed a trailing space that was preventing players from copying and pasting the password reset confirmation code into the website.
- Account Scene | You can no longer add line breaks to fields within Account Settings.
- Collection | Colons in deck names are now automatically converted into hyphens to support Windows file naming requirements.
- Account Scene | Hyperlinks in various policy agreements in the Account Scene now function properly.
- Duel Scene | Cards from Magic Origins are now correctly legal in the Legacy Tribal Wars format.
- Cardset | Burn at the Stake no longer incorrectly allows the player to pay mana to increase the value of X.
- Cardset | Creatures exiled by Hallowed Moonlight's effect no longer trigger "enter the battlefield" effects.
- Cardset | Infinite Obliteration will no longer display incorrect prompt box text when the searched library doesn't contain the named card.
- Cardset | Ghirapur Æther Grid will now display the correct prompt box text when activating its ability.
- Cardset | Gideon, Battle-Forged's +2 loyalty ability no longer removes attacking requirements from the targeted creature.
- Cardset | Jace, Vryn's Prodigy no longer displays a placeholder string in the game log when five or fewer cards are in his controller’s graveyard.
- Cardset | If Alhammarret, High Arbiter enters the battlefield by a method other than being cast, the cards revealed are now correctly displayed in the game log.
- Cardset | If Alhammarret, High Arbiter enters the battlefield by a method other than being cast, the correct named card will now be displayed in blue text.
- Cardset | If Murder Investigation is enchanting a creature with negative power when its ability triggers, the game will no longer restart.
- Cardset | Pyromancy's activated ability once again deals damage when it resolves.
- Cardset | Starfield of Nyx will now correctly apply its power- and toughness-setting effect to enchantment creature tokens with converted mana cost zero.
- Cardset | Talent of the Telepath will now correctly display the names of the revealed cards in the game log.
- Cardset | The blue italic text granted by the second loyalty ability of Jace, Telepath Unbound is now punctuated correctly.
- Duel Scene | Creatures that can neither attack nor block will now display the blue italic strings "can't attack" and "can't block" as a single string "can't attack or block".
- Duel Scene | Typographical errors have been corrected in the right-click menu text of several cards.
- Play Lobby | Using the Play button to join a 2-player Constructed queue now lets you join that queue without error.
Look and Feel
- Duel Scene | Additional visual indicators have been added to indicate that a player has priority.
- General | Added a link to www.MTGO.com on the logon screen.
- Draft Scene | Cards automatically selected during a draft (if the player fails to select a card in time) now correctly display the gold border to indicate the most recent draft pick.
- Cardset | The art for Dack Fayden and the Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska version of Jace, Architect of Thought now correctly breaks the frame.
- Card Display | Some colorless token creatures were not displaying art properly. These tokens now correctly display their respective art.
- Store | Redemption Request digital objects for Magic Origins now have the correct art assets.
Magic Origins Known Issues
- Collection | When zoomed, Magic Origins planeswalkers display the incorrect card symbol.
- Duel Scene | Casting any red instant or sorcery automatically removes mana generated from Pyromancer's Goggles if the mana is already floating in the user’s mana pool.
- Duel Scene | Creatures selected for the activated ability granted by Consecrated by Blood do not have a red highlight around the card. The number of creatures remaining to sacrifice is also incorrectly not displayed in the prompt box.
- Duel Scene | The delayed triggered ability of Liliana, Defiant Necromancer incorrectly does not display association arrows with creatures sent to the graveyard.
- Duel Scene | The mana ability of Fertile Ground and similar cards incorrectly provides mana when the enchanted permanent is tapped for zero mana.
- Cardset | The promo version of Mizzium Meddler made its way to Magic Online without a set symbol. The set symbol will be added with the launch of Battle for Zendikar.
- Duel Scene | In some circumstances, users are not allowed to choose the order of multiple replacement effects.
- Duel Scene | Nissa, Sage Animist's third loyalty ability has an extra apostrophe in the text.
- Duel Scene | The stack window incorrectly resizes only vertically and not horizontally.
- Duel Scene | When Sakashima the Imposter copies a Timberpack Wolf, it does not get +1/+1 for other Timberpack Wolves.
- Duel Scene | In a Commander game, a Magic Origins planeswalker that is the player’s commander will not return to the battlefield transformed when its owner chooses to send it back to the command zone.
- Duel Scene | We planned to implement the Commander rule commonly referred to as the “tuck rule” with the Magic Origins release during the July 22 downtime. This rule, which allows a player to put his or her commander in the command zone if it would go the library or hand, is proving more difficult than originally expected to implement. Because of this, the Commander change will not go live at this time. We want to take time to ensure the rule functions correctly in a wide, wide variety of Commander game situations, and that will take more development time.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now-August 12—Magic Origins Release Events
August 12-August 14—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
August 12-August 15—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
August 12-August 18—Magic Origins Limited Championship Qualifiers
August 15—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
August 16—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 19-August 25—Magic Origins Standard Championship Qualifiers
August 23—Magic Origins Limited Championship Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 29—Magic Origins Standard Championship Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)