What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Magic Origins Championship Events
- Magic Origins Release Events Going on Now
- Upcoming Streamer Showdown on August 6
- Standard Super League Starts Next Week
- Constructed Changes Coming to Magic Online
- Path to Exile Promo Miscommunication and Fix
- Magic Origins Sealed PTQ
- Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries Begin Tomorrow
- Discontinuing Draft Packs and Sealed Event Packs from Magic Online
- Magic Origins Redemption Information
- Redemptions Processed Last Week Will Be Slightly Delayed
- Event Tickets Missing From Deckbuilders Essentials
- Downtime for August 5, 2015
- Magic Origins Known Issues
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Magic Origins Championship Events
You've been playing in Magic Origins Release Events for over a week now, showing off your spell mastery prowess, slinging spells with a furor that has earned you no small amount of renown. Menacing at prospective foes from your computer screen, you ask yourself, "What's next?"
The Magic Origins Championships are coming soon to Magic Online, beginning with Limited Qualifiers on Wednesday, August 12, at 12:30 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7)!
Check out the Magic Origins Championship article for full event details.
Magic Origins Release Events Going on Now
Release Events began at 10:00 a.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on Monday, July 27 and run through the Wednesday, August 12, downtime.
For Draft fans, the Pack-per-Win Swiss Draft makes its triumphant return and runs alongside the 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 Single Elimination Drafts in the Limited Queues Room. Try out any of the three and you'll get the Nissa, Vastwood Seer Avatar just for participating. Once you have a feel for the set, raise the stakes with the Magic Origins Release 64-Player Single Elimination Event, and get the Liliana, Heretical Healer Avatar while you're at it.
Prefer Sealed? Try out the Release Swiss Sealed and get the Kytheon, Hero of Akros Avatar—that's the only place you'll be able to earn it throughout Release Events. If you're looking for the biggest Sealed Event with the largest prize pool, mark your calendar for the Release Magic Origins Swiss Sealed. It runs in the Scheduled Events Room, and includes a Top 8 Draft. Participation in that event is one of two ways to get the Liliana, Heretical Healer Avatar.
Get the full Magic Origins Release Event schedule here.
Upcoming Streamer Showdown on August 6
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
Our next event features Magic Origins! Check out the streamer lineup below, then stop by your favorite streamer's Twitch channel on Thursday, August 6, at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC-7) for the latest Streamer Showdown.
Thursday, August 6, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) Event
- Marc Beck Konig
- Paul Cheon
- Thomas Delia
- Kenji Egashira
- Athena Huey
- Frank Lepore
- Paul Pires
Thursday, August 6, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) Event
- Cameron Aldous
- Tavish Ledesma and Noah Sandler
- Scott MacCallum
- Gabe Reale
- Gaby Spartz
- Travis Woo
Standard Super League Starts Next Week
The Standard Super League kicks off a mini-season on Tuesday, August 11! In the meantime, catch up on past episodes of the Vintage Super League here.
If you missed it the first time around, Randy Buehler wrote an article that details how three Super League mini-seasons will qualify players for a Super League Championship later this year. Who will emerge as the Super League grand champion? Find out by watching along!
Constructed Changes Coming to Magic Online
Constructed play on Magic Online is undergoing some pretty big changes that will roll out during the Wednesday, August 12, downtime. In his latest article, Lee Sharpe talked about all of the new uses for the Play Points that replaced Phantom Points in player accounts on Wednesday, July 22.
Get the full details here.
Path to Exile Promo Miscommunication and Fix
When Season 9 Promos were granted during last week's downtime, it came to our attention that there was a miscommunication regarding which version of the Path to Exile promo was being awarded to players as part of the Magic Online Player Rewards program. We advertised one promo on the website and granted another during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime.
We apologize for this error in communication and would like to make it up to players by giving everyone who qualified for last month's MOPR reward the Path to Exile promo that was advertised on MTGO.com in addition to the version they already received during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime. Expect to find the advertised version of Path to Exile in your account following the Wednesday, August 12, downtime. Thank you for your understanding!
Version that was granted during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime.
Version that was advertised on the website.
Magic Origins Sealed PTQ
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, a Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) is approaching! The Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, August 5, and run through Saturday, August 8. We hope to see you in the PTQ Finals on Sunday, August 9!
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries Begin Tomorrow
The Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series (MOCS) Preliminaries begin tomorrow, August 5, and run through August 7. Five or six wins in a MOCS Preliminary earns players 35 Qualifier Points (QPs), which earns you entry into the MOCS Season 8 Finals on August 8!
Whether you've been saving QPs up all season long, or you earned them in one fell swoop via a MOCS Season Preliminary, you'll want to be sure to compete in the MOCS Season Finals. Big Prizes are up for grabs, including an invitation to the Magic Online Championship and Pro Tour Battle for Zendikar!
Learn more about the Magic Online Championship Series here.
Discontinuing Draft Packs and Sealed Event Packs
To improve the clarity of our store options, we have discontinued Sealed Event Packs and will be removing Draft Packs from the Magic Online Store during the Wednesday, August 12, downtime. Please note, this will not impact Sealed Event Packs or Draft Packs that you already own.
Magic Origins Redemption Information
Magic Origins becomes available for redemption on Wednesday, August 26, about one month after its digital release. If you collect the whole set on Magic Online, you can exchange it for a full, paper version! If you're interested in redeeming Magic Origins, don't wait too long—because the set won't be available to redeem forever.
Learn more about Magic Online redemption.
Redemptions Processed Last Week Will Be Slightly Delayed
As a heads up to those of you who are planning to redeem a set sometime soon, we have a slight shipping delay on the horizon. Any redemptions that are processed during the Wednesday, July 29, downtime will not be shipped until Thursday, August, 6.
Event Tickets Missing From Deckbuilders Essentials
We are aware of, and working to address, an issue where Event Tickets are missing from the Deckbuilders Essentials. There is no need to file a report, as all players who purchased one between 7/22 and 8/4 will automatically receive two tickets. The expected fix date is 8/5. Thank you!
Downtime for August 5, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, August 5, at 4:00 a.m. Pacific (11:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
Magic Origins Known Issues
- Collection | When zoomed, Magic Origins planeswalkers display the incorrect card symbol.
- Duel Scene | Casting any red instant or sorcery automatically removes mana generated from Pyromancer's Goggles if the mana is already floating in the user’s mana pool.
- Duel Scene | Creatures selected for the activated ability granted by Consecrated by Blood do not have a red highlight around the card. The number of creatures remaining to sacrifice is also incorrectly not displayed in the prompt box.
- Duel Scene | Hallowed Moonlight does not create an ability in the effects zone.
- Duel Scene | Murder Investigation does not display “X equals” blue rules text on the stack.
- Duel Scene | The delayed triggered ability of Liliana, Defiant Necromancer incorrectly does not display association arrows with creatures sent to the graveyard.
- Duel Scene | The first loyalty ability of Gideon, Battle-Forged removes attacking requirements from creatures.
- Duel Scene | The game log does not list the seven cards revealed by Talent of the Telepath.
- Duel Scene | The mana ability of Fertile Ground and similar cards incorrectly provides mana when the enchanted permanent is tapped for zero mana.
- Duel Scene | Using the activated ability of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy when five or fewer cards are in the graveyard displays a placeholder string in the game log.
- Duel Scene | In some circumstances, users are not allowed to choose the order of multiple replacement effects.
- Duel Scene | Nissa, Sage Animist's third loyalty ability has an extra apostrophe in the text.
- Duel Scene | The stack window incorrectly resizes only vertically and not horizontally.
- Duel Scene | When Sakashima the Imposter copies a Timberpack Wolf, it does not get +1/+1 for other Timberpack Wolves.
- Duel Scene | In a Commander game, a Magic Origins planeswalker that is the player’s commander will not return to the battlefield transformed when its owner chooses to send it back to the command zone.
- Duel Scene | We planned to implement the Commander rule commonly referred to as the “tuck rule” with the Magic Origins release during the July 22 downtime. This rule, which allows a player to put his or her commander in the command zone if it would go the library or hand, is proving more difficult than originally expected to implement. Because of this, the Commander change will not go live at this time. We want to take time to ensure the rule functions correctly in a wide, wide variety of Commander game situations, and that will take more development time.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now-August 12—Magic Origins Release Events
August 5-August 7—Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries
August 5-August 8—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
August 8—Season 8 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 9—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 12-August 18—Magic Origins Limited Championship Qualifiers
August 19-August 25—Magic Origins Standard Championship Qualifiers
August 23—Magic Origins Limited Championship Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
August 29—Magic Origins Standard Championship Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)