What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Announcing the Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Champions
- Legendary Cube Events End December 9
- Upcoming Streamer Showdown on December 10
- Watch the New Season of the Vintage Super League
- The Modern Mayhem Event Begins December 6
- Season 12 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries Begin Tomorrow
- Upcoming Battle for Zendikar Sealed PTQ on Sunday, December 6
- Prerelease Object and Warmark Removal
- Downtime for December 2, 2015
- Legendary Cube and Commander (2015 Edition) Known Issues
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Announcing the Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Champions
Hundreds of players fought their way through the qualifiers leading up to the Battle for Zendikar Championship Finals. In the end, sixteen players competed for the title of Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Champion.
How did the victors triumph over their competition? Read how each event unfolded here.
Legendary Cube Events End December 9
Legendary Cube events are only around until the December 9 downtime! Players can write the tale of their own legendary battles in two different Phantom Queue events: the Swiss Legendary Cube Phantom Draft and the Single-Elimination Legendary Cube Phantom Draft. Both of these events will only be around until the Wednesday, December 9 downtime, so make sure you get a chance to try them out during the Legendary Cube's inaugural run and win some of the new Legendary Cube Prize Packs while you're at it!
Prepare yourself to cube by reading Adam Prosak's latest article, Marshall Sutcliffe's interview with Adam, as well as listening to these special episodes of Magic the Amateuring and The Command Zone for more interviews with Adam and some insight on strategy!
Upcoming Streamer Showdown on December 10
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
This Streamer Showdown will feature Battle for Zendikar! We'll be announcing the full streamer roster in next Tuesday's Weekly Announcements, so check back on December 7 to find out where to watch and who will be playing!
Watch the New Season of the Vintage Super League
The Vintage Super League play-in tournament continues tonight at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-8) on twitch.tv/magic! Check out Randy Buehler's preview article for a look at what's coming up in tonight's episode.
Check out player decklists here.
Announcing the Modern Mayhem Event
Do you like Modern, sweet prizes, and fun? If the answer is "no," then seriously reconsider your stance on all three and stop on by the Modern Mayhem Event on December 6 at 8:00 a.m. Pacific (UTC-8)—because we got all three!
This event will replace the Modern Daily that would normally be happening during the same time slot. Check out the full event details at the Magic Online Tumblr!
Season 12 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries Begin Tomorrow
The Season 12 Magic Online Championship Series (MOCS) Preliminaries begin tomorrow, December 2, and run through December 4. Five or six wins in a MOCS Preliminary earns players 35 Qualifier Points (QPs), which earns you entry into the MOCS Season 12 Finals on November 5!
Whether you've been saving QPs up all season long, or you turned 15 into 35 via one of this week's MOCS Season Preliminaries, you'll want to be sure to compete in the MOCS Season Finals. Big Prizes are up for grabs, including an invitation to the Pro Tour Shadows over Innistrad!
And remember! This is the last season of the 2015 MOCS. There are still 2015 Last Chance Qualifiers to come, but if you want to get in on the 2016 MOCS, then start planning now and read up on some of the changes to the MOCS here.
Learn more about the 2015 Magic Online Championship Series here.
Learn more about the 2016 Magic Online Championship Series here.
Upcoming Battle for Zendikar Sealed PTQ on Sunday, December 6
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, a Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) is approaching! The Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, December 3, and run through Sunday, December 6. We hope to see you in the PTQ Finals on Sunday, December 6!
Remember, you are no longer required to enter into the PTQ Finals immediately following the Preliminary that you qualified through thanks to the new PTQ system that Lee Sharpe announced in his latest article.
Learn more about Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifiers here.
Prerelease Object and Warmark Removal
We've received a lot of player feedback about untradeable objects adding clutter to player collections. We will be removing entry objects for past set prereleases as well as Mirran and Phyrexian Warmarks from collections during the Wednesday, December 2 downtime as we have no plans to use these objects for future events.
Downtime for December 2, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, December 2, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (13:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (15:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC)
Legendary Cube and Commander (2015 Edition) Known Issues
- Cardset | Caged Sun’s mana ability incorrectly doesn't trigger when a land is tapped for an ability that produces more than one mana.
- Cardset | Abilities that generate replacement effects preventing specific cards from being put into graveyards (such as those found on Progenitus or Blightsteel Colossus) do not function properly while resolving Grenzo, Dungeon Warden's activated ability.
- Cardset | All legendary creature cards in all zones owned by a player who controls a Heroes' Podium incorrectly receive the power/toughness bonus from its first ability.
- Cardset | Kumano, Master Yamabushi's ability does not cause creature cards to be exiled instead of being put into the graveyard.
- Cardset | Myriad Landscape’s activated ability incorrectly allows a player to put two basic lands that do not share a land type onto the battlefield.
- Cardset | Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient does not copy activated abilities of artifacts that sacrifice as part of their activation cost.
- Cardset | Cards cast with conspire that require a player to sacrifice a creature as an additional cost to cast, such as Life's Legacy and Momentous Fall, incorrectly look at the power and toughness of the last creature clicked for conspire.
- Cardset | Villainous Wealth's prompt box text incorrectly suggests that the caster must cast all appropriate exiled spells. This is a display issue only. The Cancel button allows the player to continue without casting remaining spells.
- Cardset | Copying All Suns' Dawn sometimes causes a crash.
- Cardset | Casting Ray of Command without paying its mana cost, via a spell or ability such as cascade or Mizzix's Mastery, incorrectly requires the player to pay the mana cost.
- Collection | Nonfunctional prerelease objects for past events have been removed from players' collections.
- General | When players start a chat, toast messaging now properly appears only once.
- Collection | Decks and binders can once again be deleted from the Collection Scene.
- General | League matches are no longer suspended three and a half hours before scheduled Magic Online downtimes. Players can now enjoy League matches until one hour and seventeen minutes before the downtime is scheduled.
- General | If a player changes the time on his or her computer while in an event, the Round Time clock is no longer affected.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved.
- Duel scene | Images associated with certain triggers no longer appear to untap when put onto the stack.
- Cardset | Casting “pitch” cards—cards that involve an alternative casting cost that involves a player exiling a number of cards from his or her hand, such as Soul Spike or Fury of the Horde—once again require the correct number of cards to be exiled to pay those costs.
- Cardset | Prompt box text for Seal of the Guildpact’s replacement ability has been corrected.
- Cardset | Confluence spells from the Commander (2015 Edition) set now display proper text formatting while on the stack.
- Cardset | Illusory Ambusher and numerous other cards with abilities that trigger upon being dealt damage now correctly display blue text indicating the amount of damage dealt.
- Duel Scene | Players can no longer right-click on the commander of an opponent and be presented with a non-functional context menu with zone change options.
- Cardset | Colorless mana in a player’s mana pool is no longer automatically applied to a converge spell’s mana cost.
- Cardset | Using Jace, Telepath Unbound’s second loyalty ability on a split card in the graveyard now correctly causes that card to be exiled after being cast.
Look and Feel
- Duel Scene | Manifested premium cards no longer obscure the artist name in zoom view.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now–December 9—Legendary Cube Events
December 5—Season 12 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
December 6—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
December 6—Modern Mayhem 8:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)