What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Magic Online Playoff Event Recap
- Oath of the Gatewatch Limited Championship Qualifiers This Week
- Upcoming Oath of the Gatewatch Streamer Showdown on February 25
- The Year of Modern Flashbacks Resumes
- Announcing March MOPR Promos
- The Vintage Super League Continues
- Upcoming Standard MOCS Monthly Event on February 21 and Format Updates
- Upcoming Standard RPTQ on Saturday, February 20
- Downtime for February 17, 2016
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Magic Online Playoff Event Recap
In his upcoming Thursday, February 18 article, Jacob Van Lunen walks players through the matchups and deck tech on display in the first Magic Online Championship Series Playoff Event of the 2016 season!
While Jacob reviews decks, Kenji Egashira will be giving the play-by-play of the biggest matches of the Quarterly Playoffs via video commentary as well! Make sure to stop back by on Thursday for the full recap.
Learn more about the 2016 Magic Online Championship Series, including how to qualify for the next Playoff Event, here.
Oath of the Gatewatch Limited Championship Qualifiers This Week
The Magic Online Oath of the Gatewatch Championships are coming up! Mark you calendar for the dates below and check out the full article for event details.
- Limited Championship Qualifiers: Wednesday, February 17-Tuesday, February 23
- Limited Championship Finals: Saturday, February 27
- Standard Championship Qualifiers: Wednesday, February 24-Tuesday, March 1
- Standard Championship Finals: Saturday, March 6
We hope to see you in the Championship!
Upcoming Oath of the Gatewatch Streamer Showdown on February 25
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
This Streamer Showdown will be an Oath of the Gatewatch/Battle for Zendikar Draft event! Check out the streamer lineup below, then stop by your favorite streamer's Twitch channel on Thursday, February 25, at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC -8) for the latest Streamer Showdown.
Thursday, February 25, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
- Kenji Egashira
- Frank Lepore
- Jennifer Long
- Marshall Sutcliffe
- Neal Oliver
- Paul Pires
Thursday, February 25, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
The Year of Modern Flashbacks Resumes
It's 2016: The Year of Modern Flashbacks! If you want to build up a collection for Modern, these Flashback Drafts add everything you draft to you collection once the event is over. Even if Modern isn't your thing, you can enjoy a leisurely Draft through the planes of the past with rotating formats each week!
Triple Champions of Kamigawa Flashback Drafts run until the Wednesday, February 24 downtime and are followed up by a Champions of Kamigawa/Champions of Kamigawa/Betrayers of Kamigawa format. Get the full schedule here and mark your calendar for the formats you're most excited about!
Announcing March MOPR Promos
The March MOPR period runs from February 24, 2016, through March 30, 2016. Here are the promo cards:
Please note, these Magic Online promos will have the art shown above, but will use Magic Online expansion symbol and a Magic Online frame instead of the expansion symbol and frame shown.
Play in one or more events during the MOPR period, and you’ll get a non-premium Smash to Smithereens. Five or more and you’ll get an additional premium Smash to Smithereens. Spend at least $20 total in the Magic Online Store during this MOPR period, and you’ll get a non-premium Burst Lightning. By spending $40 or more, you’ll get an additional, premium, Burst Lightning.
And remember, this means it's your last chance to get the February MOPR promos, like this Clash of Wills.
In the Magic Online Player Rewards (MOPR) program, Magic Online players are rewarded for participating in tournaments of a sufficient size, as well as making purchases in the Magic Online Store. Learn about the specifics of the program here.
The Vintage Super League Continues
Watch the Vintage Super League every Tuesday night at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-8) on twitch.tv/magic!
Decklists for the competitors can be found here.
Upcoming Standard MOCS Monthly Event on February 21
A Magic Online Championship Series (MOCS) Battle for Zendikar Monthly Event is coming up on February 21! Players who have at least 35 Qualifier Points (QPs) in their account are eligible to participate. The series will contain 12 Monthly Events, each of which qualify top players for one of the four Playoff Events. These Playoff Events qualify top players for the Magic Online Championship, a Pro Tour, and the Pro Tour Challenge event at that Pro Tour.
Monthly and Playoff Events also award top players MOCS Leaderboard Points for the current quarter and for the year as a whole. Players of sufficient standing on the MOCS Leaderboard(s) will also qualify for Playoff Events later in the 2016 Magic Online Championship Series as well as the Magic Online Championship.
We look forward to seeing you on February 21 for the latest Monthly Event! Learn more about the 2016 Magic Online Championship Series here.
Please Note: The formats of two upcoming Monthly Events have been altered from the original schedule. The March 19 Monthly Event will now be Modern instead of Battle for Zendikar/Oath of the Gatewatch Sealed and the April 9 event will now be Battle for Zendikar/Oath of the Gatewatch instead of Modern. Furthermore, the June 25 MOCS Monthly Event will be moving to July 2—the format will remain the same. The updated schedule is located here.
Upcoming Standard RPTQ on Saturday, February 20
A Standard Regional Pro Tour Qualifier (RPTQ) is coming up on February 20. Please note, these events are only open to players who have qualified through an in-store qualifier event.
Learn more about Magic Online Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers here.
Downtime for February 17, 2016
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, February 17, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (13:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (15:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC)
- Cardset | Players resolving Infernal Tutor may now properly deliberately fail to find a card when they have one or more cards in their hand.
- Duel Scene | Mana will once again be automatically consumed from a player’s pool in most circumstances. Mana will not be consumed if any of the mana has a rider associated with it, if the spell has a variable or alternate means of paying its cost (such as delve or convoke), or if the spell cannot be cast for exactly the mana in the player’s pool.
- Duel Scene | The functionality of the “No Possible Play: Yield All” option, associated with the keyboard shortcut F8 by default, has been restored.
- Duel Scene | Mana abilities of permanents that do not include a tap symbol no longer appear to cause the permanent to tap. Notably, this includes Kozilek's Translator.
- Duel Scene | Keyboard shortcuts, such as “OK” (default: F2) or “Yield Until End of Turn” (default: F6), no longer sometimes cause blocking assignments to be reset.
- Duel Scene | Using the Undo keyboard shortcut (default: Ctrl+Z) during the declaration of blockers once again works as expected.
- Duel Scene | While a player is required to choose multiple permanents, using the Undokeyboard shortcut (default: Ctrl+Z) no longer reduces the number of permanents that player has to choose.
- Cardset | Spells that return multiple permanents from different zones to players' hands (such as Rise & Fall or Æther Tradewinds) now work as expected.
- Duel Scene | Creatures that produce mana upon their death, such as Cathodion or Su-Chi, will now provide players an opportunity to use that mana even if the player hasn’t set a stop for the step or phase in which the creature dies.
- Cardset | If Winds of Qal Sisma resolves while its controller also controls a creature with power 4 or greater, the Winds will now correctly protect planeswalkers from combat damage.
- Cardset | Shrine of Boundless Growth's activated ability now generates mana as expected.
- Commander | If a player generates mana outside of his or her commander’s color identity, that mana is no longer turned into colorless mana. This update brings the Commander format on Magic Online in line with the January 2016 rules change. Rejoice, sunburst and converge cards!
- Cardset | Viscerid Drone once again requires the sacrifice of a Swamp to activate either of its abilities.
- Cardset | Prompt box text associated with several cards has been corrected, including Loam Larva, Archangel of Strife, and Devour in Flames.
- Cardset | Spells that require a specific color of mana to be spent on X, such as Drain Life, once again enforce that requirement.
- Cardset | Players can again choose to exile two cards from any single graveyard, not just their own, to activate the ability of Night Soil.
- Cardset | Chorus of the Conclave static ability that allows a player to pay additional mana when casting a creature has been returned to expected functionality.
- Cardset | If Auratouched Mage leaves the battlefield before its triggered ability resolves, the Aura will now be properly put into the player’s hand.
- Cardset | Players are once again required to pay all additional costs for Primitive Justice.
- Cardset | Tokens created by Forbidden Orchard no longer incorrectly appear to have flying.
- Cardset | Spells and abilities that allow a player to change the target(s) of a spell or ability, such as Spellskite's activated ability, can no longer be used to add a target to some spells and abilities. Notably, this includes Oath of the Gatewatch's support mechanic.
- Cardset | If a creature enchanted by Spectra Ward loses all abilities, that creature will now correctly lose the protection granted by Spectra Ward. A remaining display bug may cause the blue text indicating the protection ability to remain on the creature, but the card will function correctly.
- Cardset | Oath of Chandra's second triggered ability now correctly sees planeswalkers that entered the battlefield earlier in the turn even if that object is no longer a planeswalker when the ability would trigger. Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is relieved.
- Cardset | Wicker Warcrawler now receives the expected -1/-1 counter when it attacks or blocks.
- Cardset | A commander destroyed by Necromantic Selection and returned to the command zone with the commander replacement effect can no longer be returned to the battlefield with Necromantic Selection's ability.
- Cardset | Echoing Decay affects only the one target creature when cast on a face-down creature. Face-down creatures have no name, and thus cannot share a name with anything.
- Cardset | Tempting Wurm no longer tempts Magic Online into allowing the opponent to put cards onto the battlefield from another player’s library or hand.
- Cardset | Heroes' Podium no longer provides a power and toughness boost to legendary creature cards in zones other than the battlefield.
- Cardset | A creature sacrificed with Bloodfire Infusion's activated ability now correctly deals damage to each other creature.
- Cardset | Neither Atarka, World Render nor Silumgar, the Drifting Death will now trigger their own abilities if, when they attack, they are no longer Dragons.
- Cardset | Aven Mindcensor's third ability now interacts appropriately with all search effects.
- Cardset | Players can no longer start the game with Gemstone Caverns on the battlefield if they’re playing first and have a Leyline or other start of game action in addition to the Caverns.
- Cardset | Phantasmal Image now properly displays its gained triggered ability in blue text (“When this creature becomes the target…”) when copying a creature, making it more clear that it will be sacrificed if targeted.
- Cardset | A visual indicator is now present when Spellskite redirects a spell or ability that targeted multiple permanents with the same name. When prompted to change targets, players should be alert for a green glow around the current target.
- Cardset | Each Endbringer now properly untaps during other players’ untap steps. Except Shauku.
- Cardset | If a permanent would be destroyed, but has multiple Auras with totem armor on it, an Aura chosen by the creature’s controller will now be correctly destroyed instead.
- Cardset | Players are no longer incorrectly allowed to choose Wastes when prompted to choose a basic land type. “Wastes” is not a land type; it is a basic land card without a basic land type.
- Cardset | Players can no longer choose a value of X higher than 0 when casting a spell with Goblin Dark-Dwellers's triggered ability.
- Cardset | Players can no longer tap noncreature permanents to pay the cost of Sky Hussar’s forecast ability.
Look and Feel
- Duel Scene | The prompt box no longer displays the incorrect color during the scry-like step during the mulligan process.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now–February 17—Oath of the Gatewatch Release Events
Now–February 17—Pro Tour Gauntlet
February 17–24—Year of Modern Flashbacks: Triple Champions of Kamigawa
February 28—Battle for Zendikar/Oath of the Gatewatch Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
March 5—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (17:00 UTC)
March 6—Battle for Zendikar/Oath of the Gatewatch Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)