What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Oath of the Gatewatch Prerelease Events This Weekend
- Important Changes Coming with Oath of the Gatewatch on January 27
- Upcoming Oath of the Gatewatch Streamer Showdown on January 29
- Upcoming Power Nine Challenge on January 30
- Legacy Cube Events On Now
- The Vintage Super League Continues
- League Rotates Tomorrow
- Banned and Restricted Updates
- Extended Downtime for January 27, 2016
- Oath of the Gatewatch Release Known Issues
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Oath of the Gatewatch Prerelease Events This Weekend
Oath of the Gatewatch Prerelease Events begin on Friday, January 29! Follow the links below to details on each of the Prerelease and Release events.
Prerelease Events—Friday, January 29–Monday, February 1
Release Events—Monday, February 1–Wednesday, February 17
- 4-3-2-2 Single Elimination Draft
- Fast-Build 8-4 Single Elimination Draft
- Pack-per-Win Swiss Draft
- Release Swiss Sealed
- 64-Player Single Elimination Draft with Top 8
- Swiss Sealed with Top 8
Important Changes Coming with Oath of the Gatewatch on January 27
To support the Oath of the Gatewatch release, Magic Online had to make some changes to the entire system that governs paying mana costs (watch for Alli Medwin’s R&D article tomorrow). As a result, there are two major changes players need to be aware of.
First, adding mana to the mana pool prior to selecting a spell to cast or activating an ability will require players to manually select the mana in the mana pool to fulfill generic mana requirements, as this mana will no longer be auto-consumed as players might be used to. While we hope to improve this process with a future update, players can avoid the extra clicks this change causes by selecting the spell or ability first and then tapping their lands to pay the mana cost. Animations showing what these changes will look like, alongside step-by-step directions, can be found below.
Second, this change affects the accuracy of all replays captured prior to the change. Since they will no longer be accurate, all replays will be permanently deleted during the downtime. Players who have replays they want to view should make sure to do so prior to the downtime or use another method, such as screen capture software, to record games they wish to save.
Tapping for mana, then casting a spell:
- The player taps for two red and one blue mana.
- With that mana floating, the player casts Wee Dragonauts.
- The red floating mana must then be selected to designate that it's paying the generic mana required to cast Wee Dragonauts.
Casting a spell, then tapping for mana:
- The player selects a spell they would like to cast, Wee Dragonauts.
- Using any combination of lands, the player then generates enough mana to cast Wee Dragonauts. In this example, the player taps one Island and two Mountains.
- Mana is automatically consumed and Wee Dragonauts is cast.
Upcoming Oath of the Gatewatch Streamer Showdown on January 29
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
This Streamer Showdown will feature an Oath of the Gatewatch Prerelease Event! Check out the streamer lineup below, then stop by your favorite streamer's Twitch channel on Friday, January 29, at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC -8) for the latest Streamer Showdown.
Friday, January 29, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
- Paul Cheon
- Thomas Delia
- Athena Huey
- Frank Lepore
- Paul Pires (Also hosted on twitch.tv/magic during the event)
- Travis Sowers
Friday, January 29, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
- Evan Erwin
- Scott Gerhardt
- Magic the Amateuring (Also hosted on twitch.tv/magic during the event)
- Gabe Reale
- Ashlen Rose
- Noah Sandler
- Gaby Spartz
Upcoming Power Nine Challenge on January 30
Play in the upcoming Power Nine Challenge on Saturday, January 30, at 11:00 a.m. Pacific (UTC-8) for a chance to win a piece of the Power Nine!
Legacy Cube Events On Now
Melissa DeTora walks players through the changes for the current iteration of the Legacy Cube in her latest article.
Legacy Cube events run until January 29, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific (UTC -8)! Check out the full Legacy Cube list here.
The Vintage Super League Continues
Watch the Vintage Super League every Tuesday night at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-8) on twitch.tv/magic!
Player decklists can be found here.
League Rotates Tomorrow
The current Leagues closed to new entries on Monday, January 25 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time (UTC-8), so no new courses until tomorrow. Players will have until Wednesday, January 27 at 7:00 a.m. (UTC-8) to finish their current League course. Make sure you finish your course by then, so you get all prizes you're eligible for!
After the Wednesday, January 27 downtime, there will be new Leagues available and ready to join in the same formats!
Banned and Restricted Updates
The Banned and Restricted list has been updated. Banned and Restricted updates will take effect with the January 27 downtime.
In addition to the cards mentioned at the page linked above, Prophet of Kruphix will be banned in Commander following the January 27 downtime.
Extended Downtime for January 27, 2016
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, January 27, at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (08:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 2:45 a.m. Pacific (10:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 3:00 a.m. Pacific (11:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC)
Oath of the Gatewatch Release Known Issues
Oath of the Gatewatch Cards
- Cardset | Stone Haven Outfitter’s triggered ability incorrectly triggers when a creature is destroyed if an Equipment had previously been destroyed while equipping that creature.
- Cardset | Players are incorrectly unable to undo Kozilek's Translator‘s activated ability.
- Cardset | When a player casts Kozilek, the Great Distortion, its triggered ability incorrectly triggers if the casting player has seven or more cards in hand. Upon resolution, the player will not draw cards if he or she already has seven or more cards in hand.
- Cardset | If a player controls multiple Endbringers, only one will untap during other players’ untap steps as intended.
- Cardset | In certain circumstances, Chandra, Flamecaller incorrectly exiles creature tokens created by Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet.
- Cardset | Cards that ask players to choose a basic land type incorrectly include the option to choose Wastes. If a player attempts to choose Wastes, he or she will be asked to choose a basic land type again. Wastes are basic lands, but are not a basic land type.
- Cardset | Several prompt boxes are incorrect or uninformative. Affected cards include Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Harvester Troll, and Devour in Flames.
- Cardset | Cards with the “may additionally reveal a dragon” condition do not correctly trigger the additional effect when a dragon is revealed from hand.
- Cardset | Crumble to Dust incorrectly causes the player to search the library of the land’s controller, not owner.
- Cardset | Fireball lacks visual indicators during targeting to show whether or not it is targeting a player.
- Cardset | Harbinger of the Tides’s casting options are displayed incorrectly. Players can still pay Harbinger of the Tides’s alternative casting cost by selecting the lower “Cast” option from the menu that appears when the card is clicked.
- Cardset | Mass Polymorph incorrectly does not count exiled creature tokens when determining how many creature cards to put onto the battlefield.
- Cardset | Some spells that return multiple permanents from different zones to a player’s hand (such as Rise // Fall) only return one permanent. Notably, this does not affect any cards in Battle for Zendikar or Oath of the Gatewatch.
- Cardset | Spells that require a specific color of mana to be spent (such as Drain Life) incorrectly allow any color of mana to be spent.
- Cardset | The additional cost ability of Chorus of the Conclave does not function.
- Cardset | When a user destroys Auratouched Mage before its triggered ability finishes resolving, a facedown card will be added to the owner's hand.
- Duel Scene | Emblems display with an extra border.
- Duel Scene | If a player controls multiple planeswalkers and is dealt noncombat damage, incorrect prompt box text will be displayed when the player is asked to apply the planeswalker damage redirection effects. This is a display issue only.
- Duel Scene | Mana abilities of permanents that do not include a tap symbol still appear to cause the permanent to tap. This is a display issue only, and is corrected when the game advances to the next step or phase.
- Duel Scene | The “No Possible Play: Yield All” function, commonly mapped to the F8 keyboard shortcut, no longer works as intended.
- Duel Scene | When casting with Convoke, creatures used for the ability have a green highlight for some turns after casting the spell.
To support the Oath of the Gatewatch release, Magic Online had to make some changes to the entire system that governs paying mana costs. Please read Alli Medwin’s January 27 R&D article on DailyMTG for more details.
Due to these changes, adding mana to the mana pool prior to selecting a spell to cast or activating an ability will require players to manually select the mana in the mana pool to fulfill generic mana requirements, as this mana will no longer be auto-consumed as players might be used to. While we hope to improve this process with a future update, players can avoid the extra clicks this change causes by selecting the spell or ability first and then tapping their lands to pay the mana cost.
- The Season 2 MOPR promos and the corrected promo for Season 1 will be granted during this downtime.
- Cardset | Anafenza, the Foremost no longer incorrectly exiles token creatures.
- Duel Scene | Colorless mana is no longer autoconsumed before special mana (e.g. from Cavern of Souls and Mishra's Workshop).
- Cardset | Costs that include a snow mana symbol now work as expected.
- Cardset | Oblivion Sower’s triggered ability no longer incorrectly allows players to put face-down exiled land cards onto the battlefield.
- Cardset | Creatures that would die after being dealt damage by Kumano, Master Yamabushi or one of his friends from Kamigawa are now properly exiled instead.
- Duel Scene | Cards that tutor for multiple cards at once now properly show the tutored cards in the Revealed Zone.
- Cardset | Caged Sun’s mana ability now correctly triggers when a land is tapped for an ability that produces more than one mana.
- Cardset | Casting Ray of Command without paying its mana cost, via a spell or ability such as cascade or Mizzix's Mastery, now works as expected.
- Cardset | A bug that caused a crash when a player targeted a card with split second with Spelltwine has been resolved.
- Cardset | Players who use the “Attack with all creatures” function will now see their flip creatures (such as Erayo, Soratami Ascendant and Akki Lavarunner) attack as expected.
- General | Players eliminated from Premier events no longer falsely appear higher in the standings than players who are still active in the event.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved.
Look and Feel
- Collection | Planeswalker cards have received additional visual polish. In particular, the premium version of Gideon, Ally of Zendikar no longer displays a mysterious second forehead.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now–January 27—Year of Modern Flashbacks: Mirrodin Block
Now–January 29—Legacy Cube Events
January 23—2016 Magic Online Championship Series Monthly Event 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
January 24—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
January 29–February 1—Oath of the Gatewatch Prerelease Events
January 30—The Power Nine Challenge 11:00 a.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
February 1–17—Oath of the Gatewatch Release Events
February 4–7—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
February 6—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (17:00 UTC)