What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Legacy Festival Moves from Discover to Assemble with Eternal Masters
- Announcing July MOPR Promos
- Watch Two Super Leagues This Week
- The Year of Modern Flashbacks Moves to Shadowmoor
- Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
- Upcoming Skipped Downtime on June 22
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, June 29
- Downtime for June 15, 2016
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Legacy Festival Moves from Discover to Assemble with Eternal Masters
Magic Online has festivals to celebrate a format and its players, as well as to encourage others to join in on the fun. Interested in playing Legacy but haven't given it a try? Already play and want to get your friends to join you? This festival is the time! The Legacy Festival will walk players through the essential steps to discovering a format:
- DISCOVER (JUNE 8–16): A way to try out the format. Learn about the different decks, see what the metagame is like, and find a deck that you want to play.
- ASSEMBLE (JUNE 16–JULY 6): Play the new Eternal Masters set for an an opportunity to acquire cards you'll need for your deck.
- CONQUER (JULY 6–JULY 24): Once you've gotten your deck together, a way to play for some sweet prizes when you jump in and take on the competition.
The Legacy Gauntlet "Discover" phase of the Legacy Festival is on until Thursday, June 16, 10:00 a.m. PT/5:00 p.m. UTC and is immediately followed up by the Eternal Masters "Assemble" phase! The Legacy Festival's second phase is where you can start assembling your Legacy deck of choice via Eternal Masters Events that kick-off right after the Legacy Gauntlet's conclusion! Get the full Eternal Masters Event details here.
Announcing July MOPR Promos
The July MOPR period runs from June 29, 2016, through July 27, 2016. Here are the promo cards:
Please note, the Spatial Contortion Magic Online promo will have the art shown above, but will use Magic Online expansion symbol and a Magic Online frame instead of the expansion symbol and frame shown.
Play in one or more events during the MOPR period, and you'll get a non-premium Spatial Contortion. Five or more and you'll get an additional premium Spatial Contortion. Spend at least $20 total in the Magic Online Store during this MOPR period, and you'll get a non-premium Angel of Deliverance. By spending $40 or more, you'll get an additional, premium, Angel of Deliverance.
And remember, this means it's your last chance to get the June MOPR promos, like this Goblin Dark-Dwellers.
In the Magic Online Player Rewards (MOPR) program, Magic Online players are rewarded for participating in tournaments of a sufficient size, as well as making purchases in the Magic Online Store. Learn about the specifics of the program here.
Watch TWO Super Leagues This Week
Hear ye, hear ye! Let it be known that there are two different opportunities to watch a Super League on twitch.tv/magic each and every week through June 30! Tune in at 5:00 p.m. PT/12 a.m. UTC for Vintage Super League Tuesdays and Community Super League Thursdays!
This week, the Vintage Super League will be in Week 3 of Season 5 and the Community Super League will be competing in Canadian Highlander!
The Year of Modern Flashbacks Moves to Shadowmoor
It's 2016: the Year of Modern Flashbacks! If you want to build up a collection for Modern, these Flashback Drafts add everything you draft to your collection once the event is over. Even if Modern isn't your thing, you can enjoy a leisurely draft through the planes of the past with rotating formats each week!
Triple Shadowmoor Flashback Drafts begin Wednesday, June 15, after downtime, and are followed up with a Shadowmoor-Shadowmoor-Eventide Flashback Draft. The full Flashback Draft schedule has been updated with formats throughout the rest of the year, so mark your calendar for the formats you're most excited about!
Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls: there's a double Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) weekend coming up! Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries and the Shadows over Innistrad Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin Thursday, June 16, and run through Sunday, June 19. The Modern Finals will take place on Saturday, June 18, at 9:00 a.m. PT/4:00 p.m. UTC and the Shadows over Innistrad Sealed Finals are Sunday, June 19, at 7:00 a.m. PT/2:00 p.m. UTC.
Learn more about Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifiers here.
Upcoming Skipped Downtime on June 22
In an effort to make sure Magic Online is available when you want to play Magic, we’re working on ways to reduce the number of times we have to bring the system offline for maintenance. As a first step we’re simply going to eliminate at least one downtime each month.
Here are the dates of the exact downtimes we’ll be skipping through August of 2016:
- June 22
- July 13
- August 3
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, June 29
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, June 29, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. PT/7 a.m. UTC (that's midnight Pacific), and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. The system is estimated to return from downtime at 12:00 p.m.
Downtime for June 15, 2016
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, June 15, at 5:00 a.m. PT/12 p.m. UTC
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. PT/2:45 p.m. UTC
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m./3 p.m. UTC until 12:00 p.m. PT/7 p.m. UTC
- Cardset | Many activated abilities now require the use of a context menu to avoid unintentional activations. Notably, this includes the activated abilities of both Wall of Roots and Kozilek's Translator.
- Duel Scene | Players can now use the Undo function (mapped to Ctrl+Z by default) when using a spell or ability that allows them to sacrifice a creature to add mana to their mana pool. This does not apply to creatures that sacrifice themselves to add mana to the mana pool, such as Eldrazi Scion tokens.
- Duel Scene | While resolving Collected Company, players can now undo selecting a creature while resolving Collected Company and still put two creatures onto the battlefield.
- Duel Scene | When paying for a spell or ability that requires multiple payment steps (such as a mana payment step and a sacrifice step), using the Undo function after making the first payment no longer causes the player to be unable to pay for the spell or ability.
- Duel Scene | Several other bugs involving the Undo function not listed here have been resolved.
- Cardset | If Archangel Avacyn is granted lifelink while her transform trigger is on the stack, the damage dealt by Avacyn, the Purifier's triggered ability now properly grants life to her controller.
- Cardset | Devastating Dreams now allows players to discard any number of cards from their hand.
- Cardset | Reflecting Pool can again reflect mana from Gemstone Caverns, Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, or Urza's Tower.
- Cardset | Creeping Dread no longer causes players to incorrectly lose life in certain scenarios.
- Cardset | A non-functional Cancel button no longer displays when resolving the abilities of Sinister Concoction and Tooth Collector.
- Cardset | Brain in a Jar’s first activated ability no longer automatically resolves when its controller does not have an instant or sorcery card with the appropriate converted mana cost in their hand.
- Cardset | Several minor visual irregularities have been resolved involving promotional cards, planeswalkers, and clue tokens.
- Cardset | The game log now informs players if a player chooses not to return any creature cards to their hand with Corpse Churn.
- Cardset | Lotus Blossom's mana ability once again functions as intended.
- Duel Scene | A bug that caused delayed triggered abilities to not appear in the Effects area has been resolved.
- General | Cards from Shadows over Innistrad are now legal in the Freeform Vanguard format.
- Cardset | Players are no longer forced to cast cards with suspend when the last time counter is removed from them if an additional cost is applied to the spell.
- Cardset | Aether Mutation once again properly creates tokens.
- Cardset | If a player casts Predict or Foreshadow, accurately naming one name of a split card (such as Fire // Ice) put into the graveyard by the spell, the player now properly draws two cards.
- Cardset | The triggered ability of Necropotence (and Planar Void, etc.) that exiles cards put into its controller’s graveyard no longer causes those exiled cards to appear dimmed on the battlefield under it.
- Cardset | Sin Prodder does now deals the correct amount of damage when a card with fuse is revealed and put into its controller’s graveyard.
- Cardset | Weirding Wood no longer has excessive blue text.
- Cardset | Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet can no longer create tokens if Hallowed Moonlight resolved earlier in the turn, even if an opponent’s creature dies as a result of a state-based action.
- Cardset | Soulflayer now correctly gains abilities from cards exiled with its delve ability.
- Cardset | The legend rule now correctly applies if more than two Brothers Yamazaki are in play. After the legend rule is applied, there can be only one.
- Cardset | The cast option menu displayed when a player clicks Harbinger of the Tides in their hand is now ordered with the normal “Cast” option on top, consistent with other such menus.
- Duel Scene | If a player changes the size or location of the window that displays the top card of their library (for example, if they have a Courser of Kruphix in play), those changes now properly persist between games.
- General | The following sections of the Magic Online End User License Agreement and Software License have been updated:
- 2.2(ii) Prize Splitting
- 4. Streaming
- 10. Restrictions
- 20. No Assignment
- General | If a player experiences a crash, an error log displays which includes a checkbox option for that player to concede the game if Magic Online cannot recover from the error. This option now persists if the player chooses not to select the checkbox the first time they experience the crash.
- General | When objects are added to a player’s collection, the window displaying these objects is now sorted by type, allowing booster packs earned as prizes to be immediately seen.
- General | While in deckbuilding for a league, players can now move the preview window.
- Store | A rare scenario that prevented the Magic Online store from processing credit card orders has been resolved.
- Store | Users in Romania are now properly charged 20% VAT tax.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Head on over to our shiny new event calendar at MTGO.com/Calendar for an easy-to-digest breakdown of events happening all across Magic Online.