What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Happy MTGO Takeover Week!
- Magic Online Satisfaction Survey
- Upcoming Preview Streamer Showdown on November 12
- Legendary Cube Events Begin November 18!
- Super League Championship Group Stage Finale Tonight, November 10
- Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Events
- Magic Online Format Updates and FAQ
- Upcoming Battle for Zendikar Sealed PTQ on Sunday, October 25
- Updated Redemption Schedule
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, November 18
- Downtime for November 11, 2015
- Legendary Cube and Commander (2015 Edition) Known Issues
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Happy MTGO Takeover Week!
Stop by DailyMTG all this week for MTGO Takeover Week! Each day, DailyMTG will have Magic Online-themed articles for your reading pleasure. Check out the author schedule below!
- Worth Wollpert, with an article about Magic Online over the past year
- Adam Prosak, with an article about the Legendary Cube
- Marshall Sutcliffe, with an article about the Legendary Cube
- Uncharted Realms (Disclaimer: Not a Magic Online article, but still a good read)
- Lee Sharpe, with an article about Magic Online events
- Adam Styborski, with an article about Commander on Magic Online
- Lee Sharpe, with an article about the 2016 Magic Online Championship Series
Magic Online Satisfaction Survey
Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us improve Magic Online. Let us know about your play experience in this player survey!
Upcoming Preview Streamer Showdown on November 12
Make sure to watch a special Streamer Showdown that's being held on November 12 at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-8)! Some of the greatest streamers on Magic Online will be getting the chance to draft the Legendary Cube live on Twitch a week before release, so tune in for an early look at Legendary Cube Draft strategy.
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
Thursday, November 12, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
- Randy Buehler
- Paul Cheon
- Kenji Egashira
- Athena Huey
- Neal Oliver
- Paul Pires
- Marshall Sutcliffe
Thursday, November 12, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -8) Event
- Derek Boyko
- Thomas Delia
- Magic the Amateuring
- Gabe Reale
- Ashlen Rose
- Noah Sandler
- Luis Scott-Vargas
- Gaby Spartz
Legendary Cube Events Begin November 18!
Legendary Cube events are running from November 18 through December 9!
Prepare yourself to cube by reading Adam Prosak's article from yesterday, as well as listening to last week's episodes of Magic the Amateuring and The Command Zone for interviews with Adam and some insight on strategy!
Tomorrow, Marshall Sutcliffe will be delving deeper into the world of Legendary Cube Draft strategy in a special MTGO Week edition of Limited Information—be sure to check it out!
Super League Championship Group Stage Finale Tonight, November 10
The Group Stage finale of the Super League Championship airs Tuesday, November 10, at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-8) on twitch.tv/magic. After that, the Super League moves into Playoffs! Check out Randy Buehler's latest article for a preview of tonight's episode.
If you missed it the first time around, Randy Buehler wrote an article that recaps the Super League season so far and maps the route players have taken on their way to the Super League Championship. Who will emerge as the Super League grand champion? Find out by watching along!
Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Events
The Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Standard Championships are coming up! Mark you calendar for the dates below and check out the full article for event details.
- Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Qualifiers—November 4–10
- Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship—November 14
We hope to see you in the Championship!
Remember, in addition to big prizes, the first place winners will be heralded across MTGO.com in an article that regales readers with a play-by-play of their victories, as well as the Championship-winning decklists. If you missed it, check out the Magic Origins Champion announcement here for a look at how a true champ spews Thopters or sacrifices to a Nantuko Husk.
Magic Online Format Updates and FAQ
We've been listening to player feedback regarding the below format removals and understand the desire for more information about these changes and how they'll help us focus our efforts to improve Magic Online. If you missed it, Magic Online R&D Robert Schuster answered some of the most common questions in a recent post on the official Magic Online Tumblr.
In order to focus our efforts on improving the most popular formats on Magic Online, we are removing official support for some rarely-played formats and player configurations with the November 11, 2015 downtime. Combined, the removal of the formats below represents less than one percent of play on Magic Online.
The full list of formats removed during the November 11, 2015 downtime are:
- Block Constructed
- Standard Pauper
- 100 Card Singleton
- Legacy Tribal Wars
- All games with five or six players
- All team play, including Two-Headed Giant
Block Constructed and Standard Pauper decks will be moved to become Standard decks in the Collection scene. 100 Card Singleton, Prismatic and Legacy Tribal Wars decks will be moved to become Legacy decks in the Collection scene.
We are always looking to improve the player experience on Magic Online. Trimming our offerings will allow us to focus on improving the most-played formats, and will simplify the interface for starting a game.
For those looking for a game, here are our currently supported formats for up to 4 players:
- Momir Basic
- Freeform Vanguard
Upcoming Battle for Zendikar Sealed PTQ on Sunday, November 15
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, a Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) is approaching! The Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, November 11, and run through Saturday, November 14. We hope to see you in the PTQ Finals on Sunday, November 15!
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Updated Redemption Schedule
As we transition into the new Standard rotation we have also updated our Magic Online Redemption guidelines, so new redemption dates will be more closely aligned with the new Standard rotation schedule beginning with Battle for Zendikar. Battle for Zendikar Redemption dates can be found below.
|Product||Digital Release Date||Redemption Release Date||Redemption Guarantee Date||Redemption Cutoff Date|
|Battle for Zendikar||10/12/2015||11/11/2015||5/17/2017||11/22/2017|
Check out the Redemption page for more information about Magic Online set Redemption.
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, November 18
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, November 18, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (08:00 UTC), midnight, and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. Pacific (10:45 UTC) leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. Pacific (11:00 UTC). The system is estimated to return from downtime at 12:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC).
Downtime for November 11, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, November 11, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (13:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (15:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC)
Legendary Cube and Commander (2015 Edition) Known Issues
- Cardset | The Legendary Cube version of Daretti, Scrap Savant appears with incorrect background in the text box.
- Cardset | Legendary Cube versions of Planeswalkers have minor visual irregularities.
- Cardset | When selecting a target for an effect of a card with confluence, there is no indication as to how many times that same target has been chosen.
- Cardset | The triggered ability of Oreskos Explorer does not indicate how many plains cards to search for.
- Cardset | Seal of the Guildpact’s prompt box incorrectly does not specifify how many colors the player can choose.
- Cardset | The first option displayed when casting a card with confluence is slightly misaligned.
- Cardset | Illusory Ambusher does not display blue text indicating the amount of damage it has been dealt.
- Duel Scene | If a player right clicks on the Commander of an opponent, they will be presented with a non-functional context menu with zone change options.
- Collection | New cards from the Legendary Cube set are not legal in Planechase.
- General | Sorting by converted mana cost once again works correctly on the first try.
- Account Creation | A bug that sometimes granted new accounts an extra New Player Starter Kits has been resolved.
- Account Creation | The account creation process has been updated to better guide players towards either Magic Online or Magic Duels based on their experience playing Magic.
- Collection | Qualifier Points from Season 1 through Season 9 have been removed from players’ collections. Those seasons have concluded, and the QPs are no longer useful.
- General | Hiding a Constructed event during sideboarding no longer resets the sort order of a player’s main decks.
- General | Address fields in the Account Settings now only accept ASCII characters and the ampersand (“&”).
- Collection | Attempting to add prerelease objects to decks or binders now correctly causes toast messaging to appear.
- Collection | Right-clicking a deck and selecting the “Add Missing Cards to Wish List” option now adds cards not in a player’s collection from that deck to his or her Wish List, as expected.
- Trade | Planeswalker-format decks no longer appear while using the Search Tool during a trade.
- General | During a Limited event, right-clicking and using the “Select All” function now works as expected in all cases.
- General | During deckbuilding, clicking between columns of cards and dragging the cursor over a pile of cards now properly selects those cards.
- Collection | Changes made to decks will now properly sync if a player logs on Magic Online on a different computer.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved. Additionally, the following actions no longer cause a crash:
- Viewing certain premium cards.
- Quickly dragging cards between the Maindeck and the Sideboard no longer causes a crash.
- Duel Scene | Commanders have a new context menu allowing players to select what will happen when their Commander changes zones.
- Duel Scene | Poison and Experience counters now appear on player avatars and not on the battlefield.
Look and Feel
- Collection | Fuse cards now have the proper colors, borders, and guild symbol watermarks when viewed in the collection.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
November 4–10—Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Qualifiers
November 11–14—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
November 14—Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (17:00 UTC)
November 15—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
November 18–20—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
November 21—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (17:00 UTC)
November 18–21—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
November 21—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
November 28—Power Nine Challenge 11:00 a.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
December 5—Season 12 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)