What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Battle for Zendikar Championship Events
- Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Release Events Ending October 28
- The Eerie Innistrad Draft Event Begins Wednesday, October 28
- The Super League Championship Begins Tonight, October 27!
- Upcoming Streamer Showdown on October 29
- Magic Online Format Updates
- Magic Online Store Inventory Changes
- Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
- Daylight Saving Time Ends November 1
- Extended Downtime for October 28, 2015—See Altered Schedule Below
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Battle for Zendikar Championship Events
The Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Championships are coming up! Mark you calendar for the dates below and check out the full article for event details.
- Battle for Zendikar Limited Championship Qualifiers—October 28–November 3
- Battle for Zendikar Limited Championship Finals—November 8
- Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship Qualifiers—November 4–10
- Battle for Zendikar Standard Championship—November 14
We hope to see you in the Championship!
Remember, in addition to big prizes, the first place winners will be heralded across MTGO.com in an article that regales readers with a play-by-play of their victories, as well as the Championship-winning decklists. If you missed it, check out the Magic Origins Champion announcement here for a look at how a true champ spews Thopters or sacrifices to a Nantuko Husk.
Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Release Events Ending October 28
Join the battle for Zendikar from the comfort of your own home with Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Release events! Release events are on now and run until Wednesday, October 28.
Get the full event details here.
The Eerie Innistrad Draft Event Begins Wednesday, October 28
Eerie Innistrad Flash Back Draft events begin Wednesday, October 28! Read the full article for event details and directions to obtain this creepy promo!
The Super League Championship Begins Tonight, October 27!
If you missed it the first time around, Randy Buehler wrote an article that recaps the Super League season so far and maps the route players have taken on their way to the Super League Championship. Who will emerge as the Super League grand champion? Find out by watching along!
Upcoming Streamer Showdown on October 29
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
This Streamer Showdown will feature Battle for Zendikar! Check out the streamer lineup below, then stop by your favorite streamer's Twitch channel on Thursday, October 29, at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC -7) for the latest Streamer Showdown.
Thursday, October 29, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -7) Event
- Paul Cheon
- Randy Buehler
- Magic the Amateuring
- Kenji Egashira
- Athena Huey
- Paul Pires
- Travis Sowers
Thursday, October 29, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -7) Event
- Cameron Aldous
- Derek Boyko
- Thomas Delia
- Frank Lepore
- Gabe Reale
- Luis Scott-Vargas
- Gaby Spartz
- Travis Woo
Magic Online Format Updates
In order to focus our efforts on improving the most popular formats on Magic Online, we are removing official support for some rarely-played formats and player configurations with the November 11, 2015 downtime. Combined, the removal of the formats below represents less than one percent of play on Magic Online.
The full list of formats removed during the November 11, 2015 downtime are:
- Block Constructed
- Standard Pauper
- 100 Card Singleton
- Legacy Tribal Wars
- All games with five or six players
- All team play, including Two-Headed Giant
Block Constructed and Standard Pauper decks will be moved to become Standard decks in the Collection scene. 100 Card Singleton, Prismatic and Legacy Tribal Wars decks will be moved to become Legacy decks in the Collection scene.
We are always looking to improve the player experience on Magic Online. Trimming our offerings will allow us to focus on improving the most-played formats, and will simplify the interface for starting a game.
For those looking for a game, here are our currently supported formats for up to 4 players:
- Momir Basic
- Freeform Vanguard
Magic Online Store Inventory Changes
Keeping the Magic Online Store fresh and up to date is important. Preventing players from having to browse through long lists of older products to find the items they want helps reduce frustration and ensure that store offerings are kept relevant. With this in mind, the Magic Online Store will be updated during the Wednesday, October 28 downtime, removing a number of the earlier Commander decks from sale. All five Commander (2014 Edition) decks will remain on sale (Forged In Stone, Peer Through Time, Sworn To Darkness, Built From Scratch, and Guided By Nature), but the ten decks from Commander (2011 Edition) and Commander (2013 Edition) will be removed when the downtime ends.
Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, there's a double Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) weekend coming up! Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries and the Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, October 28, and run through the day preceding each Finals Event.
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Daylight Saving Time Ends November 1
Please note the tricky time zone changes that will occur across the site and on Magic Online after November 1. At 2:00 a.m. on November 1 we transition from Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) to Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8), so make sure to double-check those time zones when planning for an event.
Extended Downtime for October 28, 2015
Over the past several weeks, we have been working to address the lag that players have experienced as Magic Online returns from downtime. To safeguard against further issues, we will be returning from the October 28 downtime with some functionality disabled—players will not be able to enter into events gated by an entry option or trade with other players. Once we've ensured that any possible lag issues have passed, we will return events and trades to their full functionality and notify players via the Magic Online Home Scene and the Magic Online Twitter account.
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, October 28, at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
- The MOCS and MOPR Season 11 Promos will be granted during this downtime.
- Collection | A bug has been resolved that occasionally incorrectly locked cards used in a League deck. This bug prevented users from trading those cards after completing the League course.
- Collection | Attempting to drag sealed product onto the Add Deck button once again properly displays an error message.
- Collection | Adding a card to a deck or binder now correctly updates the quantity of that card in each of the Subtype filters while multiple Subtype filters are in use.
- Collection | Tokens (which are not collectable) can no longer be added to Wish Lists.
- Leagues | If a player drops from a League course in the middle of a League match, that player now automatically forfeits that match.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved. Additionally, the following actions no longer cause a crash:
- In the Collection scene, filtering by a color and then trading all copies of a card of that color.
- Rapidly dragging and dropping cards between the sideboard and the main deck between games in a match.
- General | If a player is disconnected and reconnects during the second game of a match, the sideboarding choices made for that game will now correctly persist into the third game of the match.
- General | If a player is disconnected and reconnects during sideboarding, the player will once again be able to successfully make sideboarding choices for the next game.
- Duel Scene | Players are no longer able to make new choices for abilities that divide damage among creatures (such as Bogardan Hellkite’s triggered ability) during replays.
- Cardset | A bug that occasionally caused Magic Online to crash when a player interacted with premium cards or face-down creatures has been resolved.
- Cardset | Blocking requirements, such as “must be blocked if able” (as imposed by Joraga Invocation), no longer cause games to be unable to progress when they cannot be met.
- Cardset | The triggered ability on the promo version of Relic Seeker now functions correctly.
- Cardset | The game log now identifies the chosen value of X when a player activates the second ability of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.
- Cardset | Spells with converge now correctly indicate the number of colors of mana spent to cast them while on the stack.
- Cardset | Premium versions of the promo basic lands modeled on the paper Unhinged lands now display premium animation correctly.
- Cardset | The landfall ability of Emeria Shepherd is now correctly optional.
- Cardset | Kiora, Master of the Depths’s second loyalty ability now properly reveals the cards put into her controller’s hand. This ability also now correctly triggers the second triggered ability of Sidisi, Brood Tyrant.
- Cardset | Players are now correctly unable to pay for delve costs using tokens in the graveyard. Previously this could happen, for example, if a token were sacrificed to pay part of the cost of the delve spell and state-based actions had not yet caused it to cease to exist.
- Cardset | A bug that allowed a player to block Breaker of Armies with only one creature has been resolved.
- Cardset | Quarantine Field’s triggered ability will now correctly not exile any permanents if it's not on the battlefield when the trigger resolves.
- Cardset | Spells cast for their awaken costs will now be properly affected by effects that increase or decrease their mana cost.
- Cardset | Mana generated by Shrine of the Forsaken Gods’s second ability can now be correctly spent on face-down creature spells.
- Cardset | If a player controls a Void Winnower, his or her opponent’s creatures with even converted mana costs will properly display "can't block" blue italic text.
Look and Feel
- Account Creation | Tabbing onto a link on the Account Creation website now clearly identifies where the user’s focus is.
- Leagues | A space now properly appears after the comma on the Next League Match line in the League pane on the Home scene.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now–October 28—Battle for Zendikar Release Events
October 28–30—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
October 31—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
November 1—Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
October 28–November 4—Eerie Innistrad Flashback Draft
November 28—Power Nine Challenge 11:00 a.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)