Gideon Week means a Gideon quiz, and a Gideon quiz means I get to ask you all kinds of questions about our punchy Planeswalker friend, and then judge you on how well you do. Sound like fun? It does to me!
So here's the deal, below you'll find a few questions concerning Gideon. They could be about cards, they could be about lore—they could be about where he gets his hair cut. Then, down below the pretty picture, you'll find the answers and a key to how well you've done. Feel free to tweet at myself or @Wizards_magic for all of the bragging rights.
Let's get started!
- What plane did Gideon first visit after his spark ignited?
- How many non-planeswalker cards contain either Gideon or Kytheon?
- What was the ordeal Heliod tasked Kytheon with?
- What is the name for the type of magic Kytheon learned from Hixus?
- On what card was the name "Kytheon Iora" first mentioned?
- In the flavor text of a number of cards in Return to Ravnica, Gideon is mentioned having a conversation with whom?
- Gideon Jura the card has a pretty strong tournament pedigree, including a Pro Tour win at which Pro Tour in 2011?
- Which card depicts the tragedy that led to Kytheon's spark igniting?
- Though not depicted in the name or flavor text (so no Gatherer search, ya cheater), Gideon is featured in the art of what alternate-win condition card from Rise of the Eldrazi?
- What was the name of the unofficial "king" of the prison where Kytheon was jailed?
- Six. There are three with Gideon (Gideon's Avenger, Gideon's Lawkeeper, Gideon's Phalanx) and three with Kytheon (Kytheon's Irregulars, Kytheon's Tactics, and Kytheon himself: Kytheon, Hero of Akros).
- Slaying a titan of Erebos
- Desperate Stand. It was found in the flavor text of the Journey into Nyx uncommon.
- Aurelia, the leader of the Boros. Gideon spent a good deal of time on Ravnica working with the Boros, and with Aurelia in particular.
- Pro Tour Paris. Ben Stark won with the first version of the deadly Caw-Blade deck that dominated Standard for a time. Three copies of Gideon Jura were pretty standard during that time.
- Tragic Arrogance
- Near-Death Experience
- Ristos. Things did not go well for Ristos.
How'd you do?
8-10: Irregular. You know Kytheon/Gideon like a brother.
5-7: Knight of Bant. You know about half the story.
2-4: Shattergang Brothers. About all you know about Gideon is that he punches people. Sometimes you.
0-1: Scott Pilgrim. Sorry, wrong Gideon.