noun, both singular and plural
- European bison having a smaller and higher head than the North American bison.
- A large, recently extinct long-horned European wild ox; considered one of the ancestors of domestic cattle.
- A shallow drinking cup with two handles; used in ancient Greece.
- A phosphorescent glow, especially that produced by certain fungi found on rotting wood.
- An opening in the Earth’s crust, often near a volcano, that emits steam and gases.
- In Scandinavian mythology, a supernatural creature, usually in the form of an animal, who accompanies a person.
- An extinct genus of Tertiary mammals allied to the horse, but three-toed, having on each foot a small lateral hoof on each side of the main central one.
- A type of mudslide that occurs when a volcano erupts under a glacier, sending a mixture of glacial water, mud, and volcanic debris flowing downhill.
- A land surface that forms as ice-rich permafrost melts.