Here is the answer to yesterday's Magic: The Puzzling, from the Scourge Fat Pack Player's Guide:
- Tap Embermage Goblin to deal 1 damage to Putrid Raptor, which is then destroyed by Frozen Solid. When the Raptor is put into Phoenix’s graveyard, you lose 1 life from each of the Vengeful Dead. You’re now at 3 life. Also, Faces of the Past triggers. Use its ability to tap all Zombies (Nefashu, Twisted Abomination, and both Vengeful Dead).
- Tap Skirk Alarmist to turn Raven Guild Master face up. Tap three islands and two mountains to play Extra Arms on Raven Guild Master.
- Attack with Raven Guild Master. All of Phoenix’s blockers are tapped, so it deals 1 damage to Phoenix. Her life total drops to 23 and she removes the top 10 cards of her library from the game. She now has 15 cards in her library. Use the ability of Extra Arms to deal 2 damage to Nefashu.
- Tap Imagecrafter to turn Twisted Abomination into a Wizard. Clutch of Undeath now gives the Abomination -3/-3, reducing its toughness to 0. The Abomination is put into Phoenix’s graveyard as a Wizard, so you can use Faces of the Past to untap all Wizards. Embermage Goblin, Imagecrafter, Raven Guild Master, and Skirk Alarmist untap.
- Tap two islands and two mountains to play Skirk Volcanist face up.
- Tap one island and one mountain to play Brain Freeze. When you play Brain Freeze, two additional copies of it go onto the stack because two other spells were played this turn (Extra Arms and Skirk Volcanist). Pyrostatic Pillar’s ability also goes on the stack. Tap Skirk Alarmist to turn Mischievous Quanar face up. Use its ability to put another copy of Brain Freeze onto the stack. Tap Imagecrafter to turn Nefashu into a Wizard. Tap Embermage Goblin to deal 1 damage to Nefashu. Nefashu has already been dealt 2 damage this turn (by Extra Arms), so 1 more damage sends it to Phoenix’s graveyard as a Wizard. Use Faces of the Past to untap all Wizards. Embermage Goblin, Imagecrafter, and Skirk Alarmist untap. Tap the Alarmist to turn Master of the Veil face up. Use Master of the Veil’s ability to turn Mischievous Quanar face down. Tap Embermage Goblin to deal 1 damage to Imagecrafter. When Imagecrafter goes to your graveyard, use Faces of the Past to untap all Wizards. Embermage Goblin and Skirk Alarmist untap. Tap the Alarmist to turn Mischievous Quanar face up. Use its ability to put another copy of Brain Freeze onto the stack. Now let everything left on the stack resolve. Five Brain Freezes resolve and Phoenix puts a total of 15 cards from her library into her graveyard. She now has no cards left in her library. Also, Pyrostatic Pillar’s ability resolves, dealing 2 damage to you. You’re now at 1 life.
- End your turn. You sacrifice the creatures you turned face up with Skirk Alarmist, but it doesn’t matter. Phoenix loses the game during her draw step because she is unable to draw.