The Daily Magic Update is a roundup of everything Magic you should know on October 21, 2016. Today's Update is brought to you by, well, this.
Single Card Spotlights
- At Pro Tour Kaladesh we spotlighted some of the cards that defined the tournament—and now we have those spotlights in video form! Check out the video for crowd-favorite Aetherworks Marvel below, and then check out the rest of these videos:
- Aetherworks Marvel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1kcNONOM8
- Consulate Surveillance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nwSORJW1M
- Metalwork Colossus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpHYdlLw8s
- Electrostatic Pummeler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yic95JBS6fI
- Dynavolt Tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKO4bL2ENo
- Torrential Gearhulk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fkf3vnGjJU
- A Bevy of Pro Tour Information
Now that we've hit the latter part of the week, players have had time to come back from the Pro Tour, grab a frozen pizza, and write about their experience. As a result, we've got a few pieces coming directly out of the Pro Tour today from the people who were there:
- Riding Cultivator's Caravan to Victory | MTGMintCard | Lee Shi Tian
- 7-3 with (Almost) Mono-White Aggro at Pro Tour Kaladesh | TCGPlayer | Craig Wescoe (Shocker, I know)
- Stitching Zombies in Hawaii | TCGPlayer | Raphaël Lévy
- See LSV's Pre-PT Notes on the Standard Format | ChannelFireball | Luis Scott-Vargas
So if you're still looking to devour Pro Tour Kaladesh content, there's plenty for appetites of all sizes.
After Those, Read, Watch, or Listen to These
- Eternal Standard | Hipsters of the Coast | Kate Donnelly
Donnelly thinks the new/old Standard rotation makes it a good time for Modern and other eternal format players to jump back into Standard. Reason No. 3 might astound you! (Note: This is not a numbered list. That just sounds exciting.)
- Torrential Gearhulk Masterpieces | Top Level Podcast | Mike Flores and Patrick Chapin
This is precisely the episode of Top Level Podcast. Start with breakout, tournament-defining card to focus on (Torrential Gearhulk), sprinkle in some format hyperbole, and throw in some references to Kamigawa block and, boom, you have this week's Top Level Podcast.
- Level Up: Splashing, Survey Results, and Luck | Limited Resources | Marshall Sutcliffe and Luis Scott-Vargas
Not too long ago, Limited Resources surveyed their listeners about a number of topics, from where they live and how old they are to whether they back Team Elmer, Shelly, or Harold. You know, the hard-hitting, important things. In this episode, they review the results and talk a bit about luck and splashing as well.
- Vintage 101: Eternal Champions | MTGGoldfish | IslandSwamp
With Eternal Weekend starting tomorrow (see below), IslandSwamp takes a look back at Vintage Championships of the past and to what this weekend might have in store.
What to Watch This Weekend
The Open Series returns to Milwaukee this weekend, featuring Modern! The tournament starts at 10 a.m. CT/11 a.m. ET/8 a.m. PT and will be broadcast on twitch.tv/scglive. Matthias Hunt and Ryan Overturf host.
This weekend, Bazaar of Moxen hosts the European Legacy and Vintage Championships at Eternal Weekend, streamed on twitch.tv/bazaar_of_moxen. Patrick Dickmann, Pascal Maynard, and Raphaël Lévy host the live coverage, which starts at 10 a.m. local time (UTC+1), which is 2 a.m. PT/5 a.m. ET. It's early, yo.
What People Are Talking About
I had nothing to do with this.
Deck of the Day
This deck, which went 5-0 in a Magic Online Competitive Standard League, plays Lupine Prototype.
There really shouldn't be much more required to get you intrigued.
This black-red list by Magic Online player Niederschatten is a low-to-the-ground, all-in aggressive deck with a bit of a burn component. Bomat Courier both refills your hand after playing everything out and drives Smuggler's Copter pretty well for a mail-delivering robot. And Scrapheap Scrounger, one of the most aggressive artifacts printed in a long time, provides a bit of resiliency that the deck might otherwise lack.
From there, you have a lot of the expected suspects. Some Unlicensed Disintegration, a full helping a Fiery Temper, and even a Key to the City or two. It's aggressive, it's mean, and it Bomat Courier's pretty hard. What more could you want?