The Daily Magic Update is a roundup of everything Magic you should know on September 26, 2017. Today's Update is brought to you by no changes.
- Dan Burdick and the Infinite Universe of Play Design | Hipsters of the Coast—Kitchen Table Magic | Sam Tang
Ugh, Wizards of the Coast, always pushing its corporate agenda, highlighting its own staff doing interviews. Gross. Amirite? But bear with me on this one.
First, Tang is one of the best interviewers in the Magic podcast game, and Kitchen Table Magic has long been an entertaining and informative podcast—and now it's on Hipsters of the Coast! Congrats to Tang on that.
Second, Burdick actually has interesting things to say. I promise. The new Play Design team is often a topic of conversation in the community, and Burdick manages that team, so if you care about Play Design or the workings of R&D, this is worth a listen.
After That, Read, Watch, or Listen to These
- What's in an MTG Buy-a-Box Promo Pack, and How Do I Get One? | Manaleak | Katie Roberts
The second half of that question is easy—you buy a box (at participating retailers, while supplies last, etc., etc.). The second half we've talked about before, but I'll let Roberts show you. And also show off her dinosaur onesie.
- Ixalan Draft Guide: Best Commons and Uncommons in Each Color for Magic: The Gathering! | The Mana Source | Wedge
Ixalan releases this weekend, and with that release comes Draft Weekend. Or, if you're the impatient type, Magic Online already has Ixalan drafts. Either way, this video will help clue you in on some of the best cards in each color.
- Commander Ban List Update: No Changes | MTG: Commander
- Attacking Week One | Gathering Magic | Andrew Jessup
Jessup thinks the best way to start out a format is aggressively. Get it? Attacking, like with creatures, and attacking, like, going after the metagame? Oh, those clever headlines.
- Winding Constrictor and the Three Stages of Week 1 Testing | StarCityGames.com | Jadine Klomparens
Speaking of week one, Klomparens has some thoughts on how to tackle the first brush with Standard as well. Her answer? Figure out how to make black-green work. Because Winding Constrictor.
- Channel LSV – Ixalan Draft | ChannelFireball | Luis Scott-Vargas
Well that didn't take long. Posted on the same day as the set released online, LSV quickly got what I believe was the first recorded draft on the internet (not counting Twitch streams). Learn along with the returning master.
What to Watch Tonight
It's week three of the Vintage Super League in post-restrictions Vintage land. Ixalan is finally legal for this week—so maybe some new cards show up? Probably not, but, hey, a boy can dream.
What to Watch Tomorrow
- Magic: The Gathering Arena Live Stream | twitch.tv/magic | Wednesday at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET/8 p.m. UTC
Join Principle Game Designer Chris Clay and Community Manager Nate Price for a live discussion of all things MTG Arena, including a Q&A with anyone who has a good question. Suggestion: ask Nate about his upcoming wedding and when I can pick up my tux.
What People Are Talking About
- Ixalan through Indigenous Eyes | Planeswalkers for Diversity | Gar Atkins
Atkins, who is Eastern Band Cherokee, talks about Ixalan's expression of Meso-American culture through his eyes—and comes away with a very positive impression, plus a few thoughts on how it could have been improved.
Deck of the Day
- White-Black Horse | Hareruya English | Pierre Dagen
I'm including this one for the name as much as anything else, but the concept is still cool. Dagen built a life gain–based deck where nearly every creature has lifelink, including Vona, Butcher of Magan. One of the non-lifelinking creatures? Crested Sunmare, which clearly plays well with the rest of the crew in this deck. Legions Landing is another standout, and a lot of decks will be looking to flip this enchantment into the neo–Kjeldoran Outpost that has everyone so excited. If nothing else, that 1/1 can easily lead to a 5/5 horse once the Sunmare gallops onto the battlefield.