2007 Magic World Championships Tournament Format
Posted in Feature
on July 13, 2007
All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
Play will begin each day at 9:00 AM. Players should be in the tournament hall by 8:45 AM each day.
FormatIndividual formats: Standard, Booster Draft, and LegacyNational Team format: Two-Headed Giant Booster DraftCheck www.thedci.com for all DCI format rules
Day 1 (Thursday, December 6) Standard format - 5 Swiss roundsBooster Draft format – 1 Booster draft followed by 3 Swiss rounds3 Lorwyn™ booster packs will be used for drafting
Day 2 (Friday, December 7) Booster Draft format – 1 Booster draft followed by 3 Swiss rounds3 Lorwyn booster packs will be used for draftingLegacy format - 5 Swiss rounds
Day 3 (Saturday, December 8) Two-Headed Giant Booster Draft Format6 Lorwyn booster packs will be used for draftingEach National Team will consist of 2 “sub-teams” (example: USA 1 and USA 2) Each sub-team will draft separate from each other
6 Swiss rounds will be played (3 drafts with 2 Swiss rounds per draft.)
- Each sub-team will be drafting with the same National Teams (example: if USA 1, France 1, Germany 1 and Italy 1 draft together in a pod, then USA 2, France 2, Germany 2, and Italy 2 will draft together in a pod)
- Each sub-team will play the same National Team each round (example: if USA 1 plays France 1, then USA 2 plays France 2)
- The composition of the sub-teams will change before each draft (example: Players A, B, C and D are on a National Team. During draft 1, the sub-teams will consist of players A &B and C & D. During draft 2, the sub-teams will consist of players A & C and B & D. During draft 3, the sub-teams will consist of players A & D and B & C.)
Day 4 (Sunday, December 9) The Top 8 individual players and the Top 2 National Teams will compete on SundayThe Top 8 individual matches will be best 3 of 5, the Top 2 Team matches will be single game matchesIndividual players will use the same Standard decks that they used on ThursdayNational Teams will play Two-Headed Giant Booster Draft.
- The composition of each sub-team will be chosen by the members of the National Team.
- The two sub-teams from each National Team will sit across from each other at the draft table.
- Each sub-team will play randomly play a sub-team from the other National Team.
- If both sub-teams from a National Team win their matches, they will be the National Team Champion
- If one sub-team wins and one sub-team loses, the winning sub-teams will play another match to determine the National Team Champion.
Tournament Length16 Swiss Rounds total, 60 minutes per round (Constructed) or 55 minutes per round (Booster Draft) Booster Draft deck construction time limit will be 30 minutesTop 8 single-elimination finals have no time limit; however, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes. 6 Swiss Rounds total, 50 minutes per roundTwo-Headed Giant Booster Draft deck construction time limit will be 40 minutesTop 2 single-elimination finals have no time limit; however, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 60 minutes.
Advancement (Individual formats) All players may participate in all Individual-format Swiss roundsAfter round 16 the top 8 players advance to Sunday’s top 8 single-elimination finals
Advancement (National Team format) The national team members’ match points during the first 2 days will count towards a National Team’s accumulated scoreEach team win during the National Team day will add an additional 9 points to a team’s accumulated score
Members of individual National Teams will not be paired against each other at any time during the Swiss portions of the tournamentAfter round 6 the top 2 National teams advance to Sunday’s top 2 single-elimination finals
- If both sub-teams win during a round, the team receives 9 points
- If both sub-teams lose during a round, the team receives 0 points
- If one sub-team wins and the other loses, the team receives 3 points
Notes48K, REL 5Players are required to use the same Standard deck for day 1 and Top 8. Players are responsible for knowing all DCI rules and high-level tournament rulesPlayers must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate countersPlayers will be drafting from boosters that have had the foils cards replaced. Foils from Lorwyn boosters are replaced as follows: Common, uncommon, and rare foils are replaced by a random, unduplicated Lorwyn common card.
Latest Feature Articles
Consult the archives for more articles!