Date: July 23-24, 2011
Event Location: Rydges Lakeside
Address: London Circuit, Canberra City, ACT 2600
The Magic: the Gathering Australia National Championship is an invitation-only event, open to citizens or permanent residents of Australia who have won an invitation to Nationals through DCI ratings or from qualifying events such as National Qualifiers.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete in Australia Nationals. These forms will be available onsite at the event, can be downloaded here, or can be obtained by writing to Robert Teirney.
Minors (those under 18 years of age) must have a parent or guardian's signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions!
Bring these forms with you to registration. We will make forms available for competitors at registration, if necessary.
To register, all participants must present one of the following forms of identification:
- A driver's license, or
- A passport, or
- A copy of a birth certificate and photo ID (school IDs are acceptable)
Players not registered by 8:45 AM on Saturday, July 23 may be denied entry to Australia Nationals.
Registration times and locations
Registration for Australian Nationals will open at the event venue from 3- 8pm Friday July 22 and between 8am-8.45am Saturday July 23
- Standard (Magic 2012 will be Standard-tournament legal as of July 15, 2011) and Booster Draft
- 3 Magic 2012 booster packs will be used for drafting
- Deck lists are required
- Check the Magic Tournament Rules for Standard and Booster Draft format rules. The Magic Tournament Rules can be found here
- Day 1 will consist of 3 rounds of Standard, 3 rounds of Booster Draft, followed by the second draft and 1 round of Swiss play.
- Day 2 will consist of 2 rounds of Booster Draft, 3 rounds of Standard, and the Top 8 finals.
- 12 Swiss Rounds total, 60 minutes per round
- Top 8 single-elimination finals have no time limit; however, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes.
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds
- After round 12 the top 8 players advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals
- Standard format
- Losers of the semi-final matches will playoff to determine 3rd place.
- The Top 4 players receive invitations to the 2011 World Championships.
- The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place players will form the National Team. The 4th Place player will be the alternate.
- 40K, REL Competitive
- Players are required to use the same Standard deck for day 1, day 2, and Top 8.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document.
Friday 22 July
- 10am Last Chance Qualifiers begin
- 3pm-8pm Australian Nationals Registration open
Saturday 23 July
- 8.00am-8.45am Australian Nationals Registration open
- 9am Player Meeting
Sunday 24 July
- 9am Day 2 commences
* Please note, while every effort is made to keep to the timetable times may vary.
All prizes are in USD
|5th to 8th||$700|
Pro Points table:
Head Judge for this event will be Nathan Brewer, L3 Canberra
For any additional information or if you are interested in Judging at this event please contact Robert Teirney.
In addition to Australian Nationals, the weekend will feature an exciting public events program with a wide range of events catering to players of all levels. This will include Last chance qualifiers (LCQ) and Nationals practice events Friday, Standard Constructed PTQ on Sunday and a host of other fun events. Public event schedule will be linked to this page when available.
Vendors will be onsite offering a wide range of Magic Product and singles.
Aside from the event venue, Canberra has a plethora of accommodation options ranging from hostels to resorts. We have negotiated a special rate at the venue hotel which you can access by contacting Rydges on 02 6247 6244 quoting reference F-2107WIZ