Date: July 30-31, 2011
Event Location: Ellerslie Events Centre
Address: Auckland Racing Club, 80-100 Ascot Avenue, Ellerslie, Auckland, New Zealand
The Magic: the Gathering New Zealand National Championship is an invitation-only event, open to citizens or permanent residents of New Zealand who have won an invitation to Nationals through DCI ratings or from qualifying events such as National Qualifiers.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete in New Zealand Nationals. These forms will be available will be available onsite at the event or can be obtained by writing to Robert Teirney
Minors (those under 18 years of age) must have a parent or guardian's signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions!
Bring these forms with you to registration. We will make forms available for competitors at registration, if necessary.
To register, all participants must present one of the following forms of identification:
- A driver's license, or
- A passport, or
- A copy of a birth certificate and photo ID (school IDs are acceptable)
Players not registered by 8:45 AM on Saturday, July 30 may be denied entry to New Zealand Nationals.
Registration times and locations
Registration for New Zealand Nationals will open at the event venue from 3- 8pm Friday July 29 and between 8am-8.45am Saturday July 30
- Standard (Magic 2012 will be Standard-tournament legal as of July 15, 2011) and Booster Draft
- 3 Magic 2012 booster packs will be used for drafting
- Deck lists are required
- Check the Magic Tournament Rules for Standard and Booster Draft format rules. The Magic Tournament Rules can be found here
- Day 1 will consist of 3 rounds of Standard, 3 rounds of Booster Draft, followed by the second draft and 1 round of Swiss play.
- Day 2 will consist of 2 rounds of Booster Draft, 3 rounds of Standard, and the Top 8 finals.
- 12 Swiss Rounds total, 50 minutes per round
- Top 8 single-elimination finals have no time limit; however, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes.
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds
- After round 12 the top 8 players advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals
- Standard format
- Losers of the semi-final matches will playoff to determine 3rd place.
- The Top 4 players receive invitations to the 2011 World Championships.
- The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place players will form the National Team. The 4th Place player will be the alternate.
- 40K, REL Competitive
- Players are required to use the same Standard deck for day 1, day 2, and Top 8.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document.
Friday 29 July
- 11am Last Chance Qualifiers begin
- 3pm-8pm New Zealand Nationals Registration open
Saturday 30 July
- 8.00am-8.45am New Zealand Nationals Registration open
- 9am Player Meeting
Sunday 31 July
- 9am Day 2 commences
* Please note, while every effort is made to keep to the timetable times may vary.
All prizes are in USD
|5th to 8th||$250|
Pro Points table:
Head Judge for this event is Fabien Peck, L3 Melbourne
For any additional information or if you are interested in Judging at this event please contact Robert Teirney.
In addition to New Zealand Nationals, the weekend will feature an exciting public events program with a wide range of events catering to players of all levels. This will include Last chance qualifiers (LCQ) and Nationals practice events Friday, a Standard Constructed PTQ on Sunday and a host of other fun events that will appeal to players of all levels. Have a friend who is new to the game? Bring them along as there will be learn to play opportunities all weekend. Public event schedule will be linked to this page when available.
Vendors will be onsite offering a wide range of Magic Product and singles.
Auckland is a visitor’s paradise with a huge range of accommodation options. Auckland Racing Club is located a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown Auckland. The Ibis Hotel – Ellerslie (is a five minute walk to the venue. We have secured a preferred rate. To take advantage of this please quote the following code when you make your booking BRO280711