Challenge #1 – Garruk vs. Elspeth
Wings of Light Challenge
You're playing Garruk, and you're getting beat down by his Craw Wurms. You've got the situation under control, though, because you can win the game this turn. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. How can you win the game?
Attacking and blocking creatures that have first strike and double strike deal combat damage before other creatures. Then, all creatures except those with first strike deal combat damage.
Creatures that have double strike deal combat damage twice each combat.
It's possible for a creature to be destroyed before it can deal its combat damage.
Double Strike also doubles the effect of creature enhancements.
- Tap six Plains for mana. Play Angelic Blessing targeting Skyhunter Skirmisher. Play another Angelic Blessing targeting Skyhunter Skirmisher.
- Attack with Skyhunter Skirmisher. It's 7/7 and has flying and double strike. It deals 14 damage to your opponent.
Challenge #2 – Elspeth vs. Chandra
Hands of Flame Challenge
You've been playing a fevered game against Elspeth, and it's all come down to this. Although you've knocked Elspeth down to just 1 life, you're in grave danger of losing next turn thanks to the Serra Angel that's been taking big chunks out of your life total and the Voice of All with protection from red that just joined it. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. How can you win the game?
Sometimes a creature's abilities are more important than their power and toughness.
A creature under your control, even temporarily, uses his abilities to benefit you – not his owner.
- Tap three Mountains and play Threaten targeting Soul Warden. You gain control of the Soul Warden, and it gains haste.
- Tap one Mountain and play Raging Goblin. Since you now control Soul Warden, you gain 1 life. (It's not important that you gain the life – but it's very important that Elspeth doesn't!)
- Attack with Raging Goblin, Soul Warden, and Earth Elemental. Dr. Wombat can block only two of them, meaning that at least one will be unblocked and deal 1 damage to Elspeth. You win!
Challenge #3 - Garruk vs. Garruk
Teeth of the Predator Puzzle
Garruk is chewing into your life total with an unblockable Craw Wurm. It'll kill you next turn, so you have to win the game this turn. It's the beginning of your main phase, you've been stockpiling creature enhancing effects and it's now or never. Can you win on this turn?
If a creature with trample would deal enough combat damage to its blockers to destroy them, it deals the rest of its damage to the defending player.
Put all your power behind the point of least resistance.
- Tap 1 Forest for mana and play Elvish Piper's ability to put Roughshod Mentor into play.
- Attack with all 3 Grizzly Bears.
- The creature that is blocked by anything except the enchanted Wall of Wood (ie civic wayfinders) is Giant Growthed 3 times and deals lethal damage
Challenge #4 - Chandra vs. Liliana
Eyes of Shadow Puzzle
Your game against Chandra hasn't been going well. She's still at 19 life, and you're just at 1. Your opponent has a bunch of cards in her hand, and is playing a red deck – one burn spell and you're toast. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. How can you win the game?
Punish their hand!
Discard and combat damage go hand-in-hand.
- Tap 3 Swamps for mana and play Megrim.
- Tap 2 Swamps for mana and play Ravenous Rats.
- Your opponent discards a card.
- Each Megrim triggers and deals 2 damage to your opponent. She's at 15.
- Attack with Abyssal Specter, Crowd of Cinders, both Drudge Skeletons, and Phage the Untouchable.
- Your opponent can block only two of them. She can't block Abyssal Specter (flying) and Crowd of Cinders. She must block one Drudge Skeletons and Phage the Untouchable.
- Your opponent is dealt 2 damage from Abyssal Specter, 8 damage from Crowd of Cinders, and 1 damage from Drudge Skeletons. She's at 4.
- Abyssal Specter's ability causes your opponent to discard a card.
- Each Megrim triggers and deals 2 damage to your opponent. She's at 0.
Challenge #5 - Liliana vs. Nissa
Ears of the Elves Puzzle
Liliana is toying with you. She's assembled an impressive collection of gigantic black creatures, but she's been content to sit back and let Hollowborn Barghest whittle away your life total. You've got one turn left—and even if you get rid of the Barghest, Liliana can finish you off with a single attack. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. It looks like you have no choice but to win the game this turn! The only question is . . . how?
Maximize your elves!
Immaculate Magistrate can make one of your creatures huge. Make sure it's the correct creature and make sure that creature can get the job done.
- Tap 3 Swamps for mana. Play Eyeblight's Ending targeting Nightmare. Lys Alana Huntmaster's ability triggers and you get an Elf token. Nightmare is destroyed.
- Tap a Forest for mana. Play Elvish Eulogist. Lys Alana Huntmaster's ability triggers and you get an Elf token.
- Tap two Forests for mana. Play Elvish Warrior. Lys Alana Huntmaster's ability triggers and you get an Elf token.
- Tap Immaculate Magistrate to use its ability targeting Elven Riders. You control 10 Elves, so Elven Riders gets ten +1/+1 counters.
- Attack with your 13/13 Elven Riders. Your opponent can't block it. She takes 13 damage. You win!
Challenge #6 – Chandra vs. Jace
Thoughts of the Wind Puzzle
You're playing Chandra, and you're down to just 1 life. It's a dangerous position to be in, but you realize with delight that you can put Chandra away before she gets another untap step. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. How can you win the game this turn?
Read all of Chandra's permanents. Carefully!
Use Chandra's creatures against her.
- Tap the Prodigal Pyromancer to deal one damage to Chandra.
- Tap two Islands for mana. Play Boomerang targeting Persuasion.
- Tap five Islands for mana. Play Persuasion targeting Chandra's Raging Goblin.
- Your opponent can't block the Phantom Warrior (unblockable) or the Raging Goblin (Mountainwalking). Attack with both for 4 damage (Raging Goblin has Haste by default and gets +1/+1 from the opponent's Goblin King. Your creatures will deal 4 damage, and you'll win the game!
Challenge #7 – Nissa vs. Sarkhan Vol
Scales of Fury Puzzle
Nissa has a small army of gigantic, forestwalking Elves. Even worse, she's been gaining life each time Rhys the Exiled attacked. She's at 26 life, you're at 1, and the situation looks bleak. It's your turn, and you've already drawn your card. How can you win the game?
Make your guys bigger.
Creature – Saproling
- Tap a Swamp and one other land, and play Terror targeting Elvish Champion.
- Attack with all your creatures.
- Flameblast Dragon's ability triggers. Target your own Sprouting Thrinax. Tap your remaining four lands to have Flameblast Dragon deal 3 damage to it.
- Sprouting Thrinax goes to the graveyard. Its ability triggers, and you put three Saproling tokens into play. Thanks to your opponent's Coat of Arms, your Saprolings that are already attacking get bigger.
- Your opponent blocks your biggest creature (a Saproling token) with Moonglove Winnower. All your other creatures get through and deal damage: the 2 Goblin Deathraiders each deal 5, the 2 unblocked Saprolings each deal 6, and Flameblast Dragon deals 5, for a total of 27 damage!
Challenge #8 – Liliana vs. Ajani
Claws of Vengeance Puzzle
The fight with Liliana has been long and hard and she's pulled out all her unlocks. Next turn, the Corrupts she's taunted you with from her hand will defeat you. Do you have what it takes to deal 9 damage and defeat her on this turn?
You can Fling a creature at either player.
Dread's destruction ability triggers the response timer.
- Tap 1 Forest and 1 Mountain for mana and Incinerate the Royal Assassin
- Tap 1 Forest and 1 Mountain for mana and Incinerate the Ravenous Rats
- Tap 2 Forests and 1 Plains for mana and cast Pariah on the Platinum Angel
- Tap 1 Forest and 3 Plains for mana and activate the Kings of the Skyward Eye's ability
- Tap 4 Forests and 2 Mountains for mana and cast Sangrite Surge on Knight of the Skyward Eye
- Attack with Mistmeadow Skulk and Knight of the Skyward Eye
- 8 points of first strike damage is dealt by Knight of the Skyward Eye to Liliana, triggering Dread's ability
- Tap 1 Mountain for mana and activate Brion's ability sacrificing Knight of the Skyward Eye targeting yourself
- Pariah redirects the damage from Brion's ability from yourself to Platinum Angel (killing it).
- Mistmeadow Skulk deals 1 points of damage to Liliana defeating her
Expansion Pack 1 Challenges
Challenge #9 – Jace vs. Tezzeret
Relics of Doom Challenge
After Jace’s second Traumatize you’re feeling drawn and quartered. To make matters worse Jace’s Memory Erosion has scoured your library to the quick. You draw your last card; you must win on this turn to remove the millstone of Jace from around your neck.
Only kill what you have to.
Look for the spells that will boost your damage this turn most efficiently.
- Tap 2 Swamps for mana and cast Terror targeting the Wall of Air.
- Tap 1 Island for mana and summon an Etherium Sculptor (triggers +2/+2 to Glaze Fiend).
- Cast a Howling Mine (0 mana) (triggers +2/+2 to Glaze Fiend).
- Tap 1 Island for mana and summon Master of Etherium (triggers +2/+2 to Glaze Fiend).
- Tap 1 Swamp for mana and cast a Loxodon Warhammer (triggers +2/+2 to Glaze Fiend).
- Tap 1 Swamp for mana and cast an Onyx Goblet (triggers +2/+2 to Glaze Fiend).
- Attack with Etherium Sculptor, Glaze Fiend, Razormane Masticore, and Tidehollow Strix.
- Jace’s Youthful Knight blocks the largest creature, Razormane Masticore, and takes 16 points of combat damage (2 from Etherium Sculptor, 3 from Tidehollow Strix, 11 from Glaze Fiend).
- Tap the Onyx Goblet to cause Jace to lose 1 life, defeating him.
Challenge #10 – Elspeth vs. Sarkhan Vol
Cries of Rage Challenge
Elspeth’s Angels have dealt you a righteous beating. Equally troublesome is Elspeth’s life gain, allowing her to stay out of range of your Lava Axe’s coup de grace. You think all is lost with the Angels readying a righteous smackdown on their next attack. You draw your card and smile as you realize you can now send Elspeth to her divine judgment.
Sometimes creatures are better dead than alive.
Vengeful Firebrand gains a +1/+1 counter AND trample from Bramblewood Paragon.
- Tap 3 Forests and 2 Mountains for mana and cast Jagged Lightning, targeting the untapped Angel of Mercy and your Mudbutton Torchrunner.
- The Mudbutton Torchrunner’s triggered effect deals 3 damage to Elspeth (reducing her life total to 4).
- Tap 4 Mountains for mana casting Vengeful Firebrand.
- Vengeful Firebrand gains haste from a warrior being in the graveyard (the recently deceased Mudbutton Torchrunner), a +1/+1 counter from the Bramblewood Paragon’s effect, and trample from the Bramblewood Paragon's second ability.
- Attack with Bramblewood Paragon and Vengeful Firebrand.
- The best Elspeth can do is to block the Bramblewood Paragon with the Suntail Hawk and the Vengeful Firebrand with the Vengeful Monk.
- Assign 2 points of damage from the Vengeful Firebrand to the Venerable Monk and 4 points to Elspeth, defeating her.
Challenge #11 – Liliana vs. Jace
Minds of Void Challenge
It’s been a long battle, filled with mutual destruction, counterspells, and multiple Wrath of Gods. The end is now in sight…because you have only one card left in your library. You know that it’s a Wrath of God; you’ve drawn everything else. You also have perfect knowledge of Liliana’s situation. You know that the three cards in her hand are Nekrataal, Nightmare, and Phage the Untouchable because you put them all there with Unsummons, and you know that the 10 cards left in her library are all Swamps because that’s all she’s got left. You can’t win the game this turn, but you can win the game. How?
You need another card in your library to draw your Wrath of God.
- Play a Plains.
- Attack with Ambassador Laquatus.
- Tap one Plains to play Condemn targeting Ambassador Laquatus. You put Ambassador Laquatus on the bottom of your library and you gain 3 life.
- Tap five Islands and one Plains to play Kiss of the Amesha targeting yourself. You’ll gain 7 life and draw Wrath of God and Ambassador Laquatus.
- Tap your remaining lands to play Wrath of God. All creatures are destroyed. Purity is shuffled into your library (making it the only card in your library).
- End your turn.
- Liliana’s turn begins. She draws a Swamp. She plays it, plays Nightmare, plays Phage the Untouchable, and ends her turn.
- Your turn begins. You draw Purity.
- Play a Plains.
- Tap three lands (at least two of which are Islands) to play Ambassador Laquatus.
- Tap your remaining lands. Play Ambassador Laquatus’s ability three times targeting Liliana. She puts 9 cards from his library into her graveyard.
- End your turn.
- Liliana’s turn begins. Her library is empty, so she loses in her draw step. You win!