Date: March 7-8, 2009
Renaissance® Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center
1551 N. Thoreau Dr.
Schaumburg, IL 60173 USA
When calling for reservations, ask for the Magic The Gathering Grand Prix room rate of $99 (offer good until 2/12/09)
Friday, March 6: 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, March 7: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).A great city, an amazing format and one of the most fantastic venues ever to hold a Grand Prix—the expectations are huge for Grand Prix–Chicago. Couple those factors with the most aggressive public event schedule with the largest pool of prizes to be given out for public events at a Grand Prix and this is an event you cannot miss.
Pastimes brought you the largest Grand Prix in U.S. history last year in Indianapolis and we are back to bring you an even more amazing event in 2009. See www.pastimes.net for more details about public events and everything else going on at the venue.
Chicago, always known for Al Capone, Michael Jordan and pizza, will soon be known as the city that hosted the greatest Magic Grand Prix… and we look forward to you being part of this great event. So make your travel plans, book your room at the amazing Renaissance Hotel (did we mention the $99 room rate for incredible rooms that have flat-screen TVs in the bathrooms?!), and we will see you soon in the Windy City!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participation Fee: $30
Grand Prix–Chicago will feed Pro Tour–Honolulu.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, March 6: Registration 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday, March 7: Registration 8 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, March 8: Tournament begins at 10:00 a.m.
- Sunday, March 9: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Chicago is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Legacy Constructed
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. .
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
Jason Ness will be the head judge of Grand Prix–Chicago. If you are interested in volunteering for Grand Prix–Chicago as a judge, please fill out the form at www.pastimes.net/gpvolunteer.htm. If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 4, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed or Eternal rating of 2000 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed or Eternal ratings published on March 4, 2009.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Chicago Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 4, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed or Eternal rating of 1900 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed or Eternal ratings published on March 4, 2009.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 4, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed or Eternal rating of 1800 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed or Eternal ratings published on March 4, 2009.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For a complete, updated list of events, artists, and vendors, please see www.pastimes.net.
Friday Featured Public Event
Grand Prix Trials
Starts at noon. 32 Person Single Elimination
Win a 3-round bye to the Grand Prix and Conflux prize packs!
Saturday Featured Public Event
Extended Insanity – You chose your prize!!
3 p.m. registration – 4 p.m. start
Play Set of Revised Dual Lands (40) or
NM Beta Ancestral Recall or
$1000 Pastimes Gift Card
Play Set of Mana Drains or
Playset Set of P3K Strategic Planning English or
20 Dual Lands (2 of Each) or
$500 Pastimes Gift Card
If over 128 players, 9th - 16th Place:
18 packs (your choice from Shards of Alara or Conflux)
Sunday Featured Public Event
PTQ Honolulu – Win a trip to Hawaii and your spot on the Pro Tour!!
Extended Format - $25 entry
9 a.m. registration – 10 a.m. start
Prizes: 1st Place – Pro Tour Invite and Travel, Top 8 win Pro Tour Top 8 pins, additional prizes TBD by participation and include booster prizes
ARTIST: To be announced
Schaumburg is a great location, with much to do and a wide variety of restaurant and entertainment opportunities for everyone. There is a free trolley from the hotel/convention center to a variety of local places, including Woodfield Mall (one of the largest in the country), theatres and more.
The venue is located about 20 minutes west of O'Hare Airport.
- Complimentary on-site parking
- Valet parking, fee: $14 USD daily
Shuttle service available from O'Hare and Midway (cheaper than cab)
Chicago/OHare - ORD
- Hotel direction: 13 miles NW
- Driving Directions: West on Interstate 90, exit Route 53 North. Take Algonquin Road exit. Turn right at Algonquin Road head west. Turn left at Meacham Road, 2 blocks to Thoreau Dr., then left. Turn right into hotel and convention center complex. Visit flychicago.com for airport info. Call American Taxi at 877-755-2227 for lowest taxi fares.
Chicago/Midway - MDW
- Hotel direction: 32 miles NW
- Driving Directions: Take 290 West, it merges with 53 north. Take Algonquin Road exit. Turn right at Algonquin Road head west. Turn left at Meacham Road, 2 blocks to Thoreau Dr., then left. Turn right into hotel and convention center complex. Visit flychicago.com for airport info. Call American Taxi at 877-755-2227 for lowest taxi fares.
Bus Station: Pace Northwest Transportation Center (2 miles NE)
Subway Station: Metra Schaumburg-Milwaukee District West Line (10 miles SW)
Train Station: Metra Palatine-Union Pacific Northwest Line
For information, please view www.pastimes.net
For additional information about the event, please call 847-470-9636
For additional information about the location (directions, reservations, etc…) please call 1-847-303-4100