Date: April 3-4, 2010
Hilton Americas – Houston
Houston, TX 77010
Friday, April 2: 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, April 3: 7 a.m. – 9 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Houston is Texas's most cosmopolitan city. The forceful, wildcatter temperament that transformed what was once a swamp near the junction of the Buffalo and White Oak bayous into the nation's fourth-largest city also made it a world energy center and pushed exploration into outer space—indeed, the first words spoken from the moon broadcast its name throughout the universe: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
Some of the most popular tourist attractions are Kemah Boardwalk, Space Center Houston, Moody Gardens, Minute Maid Park, Houston Zoo, the Museum of Fine Arts, Traders Village and the Houston Museum of Natural Science. With average April temperatures in the high 70s, Houston serves as a fine place to see the sights and the sun.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participation Fee: $30
Grand Prix–Houston will feed Pro Tour–San Juan.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, April 2: Registration from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, April 3: Registration from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Saturday, April 3: Tournament begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, April 4: Day Two begins at 9:30 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Houston is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Day 1: Extended Constructed
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff round.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Houston is Scott Marshall. If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix–Houston, please contact Sheila Weissman at Sheila.EHevents@gmail.com.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 31, 2010.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Houston Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 31, 2010.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on March 31, 2010.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Extended Grinders on Friday
For an updated list of events, artists and vendors please go to www.EHevents.com
Directions to Venue
From Intercontinental Airport (IAH): Exit Bush Airport and follow the directional signs to the 1-45/Beltway 8 Exit. Proceed onto Beltway 8 West, then exit onto I-45 South. Follow I-45 South to downtown. Exit McKinney St. and follow McKinney St. to La Branch. Turn right on La Branch. Go down 2 blocks to Dallas and turn left on Dallas. Go down 2 blocks and the hotel will be on the right.
From Hobby Airport (HOU): Exit Hobby Airport and follow the directional signs to I-45 North. Take 45 North to the downtown destinations/Scott Street split. Follow the split to the Pease Street exit and continue down to Austin St. Turn right on Austin and continue to Dallas St. Turn right onto Dallas St. and go down 3 blocks and the hotel will be on the right.
Houston Intercontinental Airport
Distance from venue: 25 miles
Drive time: 30 minutes
Take I-45 South to McKinney St., merging onto McKinney St. Right on to LaBranch. Go down 2 blocks to Dallas and turn left on Dallas. Go down 3 blocks and the hotel will be on the right.
Transportation to and from Houston International Airport:
Super Shuttle: $23
William P. Hobby Airport
Distance from venue: 12 miles
Drive time: 15 minutes
Take I-45 North to downtown/Scott Street split, exit on to Pease Street. Turn right on to Austin Street, continue to Dallas Street. Turn right on to Dallas Street and go down 3 blocks the hotel is on the right.
Transportation to and from William P. Hobby Airport:
Super Shuttle: $18
For Super Shuttle reservations go to www.supershuttle.com or call (800) BLUE-VAN (800-258-3826)
Self Parking: $16.00
Valet Parking: $28.00
Things to See and Do
The Hilton Americas – Houston is near to a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment options. Some of the most popular tourist attractions are:
Kemah Boardwalk, Space Center Houston, Moody Gardens, Minute Maid Park, Houston Zoo, the Museum of Fine Arts, Traders Village and the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
For event information please go to www.EHevents.com. For additional information call (713) 569-3936.
Hilton Americas – Houston
Houston, TX 77010