Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour–Kyoto 2008 Qualifier
October 17-19, 2008
Friends, Fun, Foils, Cash, Invites, iPod, GPT Grinders, PTQ, Pros, Wii, Loving Midwest Barbeque, Drafting till you drop, Buying cards, Dan Scott, daarken, The Largest Ferret you've ever seen. Selling cards----- you name it GP-KC has it!
Kansas City sits at the crossroads of North America, odds are you are just a single day's drive from the home of Great Jazz, Wonderful Barbeque and for 3 days the Hottest Magic Spot in the Western Hemisphere.
Steve Ferrell, Jody Godard and Wizards of the Coast invite you to a different kind of plains, this one's a card slinging heaven.
The Magic: The Gathering® Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring $30,000 in cash prizes, invitations to the Pro Tour™ for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants.
Grand Prix—Kansas City is presented by Feral Events and Sunmesa Events
Overland Park Convention Center
6000 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66211
Friday, Date: Registration from 6:00 P.M. – 10:00 P.M.
Saturday, Date: Registration from 8:00 A.M – 9:30 A.M.
Tournament begins at 10:00 A.M. If less than 800 players participate in the event, the Top 64 players advance to competition on Sunday If 800 or more players participate, the top 128 advance to Sunday.
Sunday, Date: The Top 64 (or 128) players begin play at 9:00 A.M.
The Sheraton Overland Park Hotel is attached to the site. They currently offer a courtesy rate of $104 with up to 4 players. Please refer to Feral Events Grand Prix to get this rate. Space is limited for this offer so please book early.
The Pear Tree Inn is within easy walking distance. They offer a courtesy rate of $59 with up to 4 players. It includes breakfast and free parking. Their space is also limited.
Over 21 other hotels in all price ranges are within easy walking distance of the site.
For more details visit: Hotels Grand Prix Kansas City
Airport and Ground Transportation
Kansas City is serviced by Kansas City International Airport (MCI). The site is 35 miles or about 45 miles to an hour by car from the airport.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 1 Shards of Alara tournament pack and 2 Shards of Alara boosters
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Shards of Alara boosters
- Deck lists are required
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Number of Swiss rounds on Day 1 based on attendance and the number of byes in the tournament, and will be announced at the beginning of Day 1
- Day 2 will have 6 Swiss rounds followed by a cut to a top 8
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds of Day 1
- If the event has 799 participants or less, the Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. If the event has 800 or more participants, the top 128 will advance to day 2.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting.
- The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Kansas City will be:
To Be Announced
If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix– Kansas City, please contact:
- Competitive REL Day 1, Professional REL Day 2
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Invitations, Eligibility, and Prize Money
The main tournament at Grand Prix– Kansas City is open to Magic players of all ages.
In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI™ player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
- All participants in the Grand Prix will receive a Call of the Herd exclusive Grand Prix foil card, while supplies last
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to Pro Tour-Kyoto 2008.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Kansas City Trials
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Limited rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
Grand Prix Trials
2:00 – 8:00 PM
Format: Shards of Alara Sealed deck, 32 person single-elimination flights
Location: Overland Park Convention Center
Prizes: Top player in each flight receives a Third-Round bye at the Grand Prix
Other Grand Prix– Kansas City Trials will be run throughout North America in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 Third-Round bye to Grand Prix– Kansas City.
A complete Grand Prix– Kansas City public event schedule can be found at
Premium Public Events
Free Airfare to Worlds Worlds Standard Prep Type 2/Standard for Free Airfare to Worlds in Memphis (Continental US)
Legacy for the popular Nintendo Wii system and other great prizes
80 GB iPod--Grand Prix Trial Insanity
Play in the most GPT's and be one of 16 players drafting for an 80 GB iPod on Sunday
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should call Steven Ferrell @ 913.208.6695.
- Pre-Registration is $35 contact Collector's Cache @ 913-338-2273.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast, Inc., the Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour, Arena–The League for Magic: The Gathering, DCI players’ organization, Qualifier tournaments, the Magic World Championships, National Championships, State/Provincial Championships, or Regionals should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or send email to us via the form at wizards.custhelp.com.