Date: October 9-10, 2010
Format: Scars of Mirrodin Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Friday, October 8: Registration noon - 9 p.m., cost $40
Saturday, October 9: Registration 8 - 8:45 a.m., cost $50
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Do you have what it takes to Steal the Thunder Down Under?
Come to balmy Sydney, Australia to battle with the hot new Scars of Mirrodin set for a combined prize pool of $30,000 at the renowned Sydney Heritage site, Fox Studios. Of course, with all Grand Prix Tournament Series events, this is more than just Australia’s always anticipated annual professional Magic tournament. With a bustling Public Event schedule there is definitely something for everyone. Popular artist Eric Deschamps will be there, too, so join us for an exciting weekend of Magic, sun, and excitement!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Format: Sealed Deck / Booster Draft Day Two
Participation Fee: $40 if you register Friday, October 8; $50 if you register Saturday, October 9
Grand Prix–Sydney will feed Pro Tour No. 1 in 2011 (location TBA).
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, October 8: Registration Noon - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, October 8: Registration 8 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
- Saturday, October 9: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, October 10: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Sydney is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Scars of Mirrodin booster packs
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Scars of Mirrodin booster packs
- Deck lists are required
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Sydney is Level 4 Mark Brown. If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix-Sydney, please contact Robert Teirney at email@example.com.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 6, 2010.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Sydney Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 6, 2010.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on October 6, 2010.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
In addition to the main event GP Sydney will feature a great program of public events sure to excite players new and old. Remember, each day of the event (Fri-Sun) every player playing in ANY event goes into the draw to win a FROM THE VAULTS – RELICS and a chance to to play in the invite only Foil Scars of Mirrodin Rotisserie draft on Sunday afternoon.
Scars of Mirrodin Single elimination 8 player booster drafts. Entry $20. Prizes 5/3/2/2
Standard Constructed 8 player single elimination. Entry $10. Prizes 5/3/2/2
Friday 8th October
MtgSydney giving back to the Magic community with a special offer. . .
Play in Super FNM or Legacy to get a FREE Sausage sizzle and drink.
11am - 6pm: Last chance GP qualifiers
Format Scars of Mirrodin Sealed, 32 player single elimination. Events start as soon as 32 players are registered. First place gets 3 byes at the GP, second gets a display of Scars of Mirrodin, 3rd & 4th get a half display of Scars of Mirrodin each. Entry $40
5pm: "Good Games" Super FNM
Enter this event and get a FREE BBQ Voucher!
Good Games are giving away 4 Jace the Mind Sculptors! Play in this event and you could win 1 of the 4. They will be given away at random.
Format Scars of Mirrodin draft. Players play players within their pod. Prizes 5/3/2/2 and FNM Cards.
5 pm : NSW Legacy Championship
Enter this event and get a FREE BBQ Voucher!
What will be your Legacy? Very Special Foils, Legends boosters, and Art prints as prizes.
Saturday 9th October
Drafts from 10am
Good opportunity for those with 3 byes!
Noon onwards: Learn to play Magic Intro Pack challenge
Open Dueling is a unique Opportunity to learn Magic, or learn about the newest Magic set in a casual atmosphere. When you enter open Dueling you receive a Magic Pre-constructed deck from the newest set, a pen, and pad. There are no time limits for this event and there will be judges to answer any questions about cards or game mechanics. Everyone wins a prize!
First will win at least a half box of Scars of Mirrodin, and all players will win at least 1 booster.
Special prizes to those under 16, including extra packs, and special DCI foils.
4pm: Metagame Sealed
Sealed deck goodness featuring all sets currently in Standard, including 2 boosters of Scars of Mirrodin, and 1 booster of M11, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi. All players wins at least 1 booster.
6pm: Elder Dragon Highlander
MWHAHAHAHA!!! Multiplayer perfection! Reckon you've got what it takes to be the best EDH player around? Come along and prove it! The focus on this event is fun. Full rules and banned cards see here. Lots of fun prizes and everyone wins at least 1 booster.
Sunday 10th October
Format Scars of Mirrodin Sealed.
Win a flight and an invite to Pro Tour 1 2011. Second gets 1 display of Scars of Mirrodin, and hundreds of other booster packs as prizes.
1pm: "Battlecraft Games, Standard
The great blokes at Battlecraft games are giving away a XBox with Duels of the Planeswalkers to the winner!
Many other boosters up for grabs and every player wins at least 1 booster.
New Format! New Decks! Extend your skills into this exciting format.
Very Special Foils, boosters, and Art prints as prizes.
5pm: 2HG DRAFT!
Team up and Draft up a storm. The most fun one two people can have cracking packs.
Scars of Mirrodin 2HG draft.
All pod winners go into final pod to determine the winner.
$20 a player / $40 a team
5pm: Foil Scars of Mirrodin Rotisserie draft! (Invite only)
What better way to top off the weekend than a Rotisserie draft! A Rotisserie draft is when the whole set of cards are layed out on the table and then picking cards begins. Drafting the cards is over when no cards remain. Article on Rotisserie Draft
Please note schedule and prize structure may be subject to change.
Eric DeschampsWe are excited to announce that Eric Deschamps will be attending Grand Prix–Sydney as guest artist. Celestial Colonnade and Vampire Hexmage are just two of the many Magic: The Gathering cards that he has illustrated. More information on Eric Deschamps can be found on his personal website EricDeschamps.com.
Flying is the most convenient mode of transportation for most visitors traveling to Sydney. Domestic flights are also easy and convenient, cutting down on journey time. Internationally, more than 20 international airlines serve Sydney International Airport, which is conveniently situated about 30 minutes from the heart of Sydney. Train services and Long distance bus services connect Sydney to all regions of the country.
Getting to the venue
Fox Studios is located 15 minutes from the heart of Sydney. Transport options include driving, cycling, city buses and taxis. More information about getting to Fox Studios can be found here. Paid parking is available at Fox Studios.
Air: More than 20 international airlines serve Sydney International Airport, which is conveniently situated about 30 minutes from the heart of Sydney. Together they provide scheduled flights from destinations all over the globe.
Fox Studios is located a mere 15-minute drive from the heart of Sydney so the accommodation options are plentiful. A few of the closer options are listed below. For the budget-minded, a great range of hostels can be found here.
Meriton Moore Park/Waterloo
Sydney's newest property located just minutes out of the CBD in the Moore Park/Waterloo precinct. An oasis of tranquility designed for both business and leisure travellers.
7 Potter Street
Waterloo 2017 NSW
(Cnr of Potter Street & Gadigal Avenue)
Ph: (02) 9287 2890 or 1800 214 822
Unique, Boutique Hotel & Heritage Accommodation in the Heart of Paddington, Sydney
14 Queen Street
Woollahra NSW 2025
Ph: (02) 9363 4863
Fax: (02) 9362 0398
Sullivans Hotel is located on Oxford Street Paddington & is within walking distance to the SCG, Aussie Stadium and The EQ.
21 Oxford Street (Near Greens Road)
Ph: (02) 9361 0211
Fax: (02) 9360 3735
Addison's on Anzac
Addison's on Anzac is a 3 star hotel with a friendly team of staff who will guarantee a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere for the duration of your stay.
147 Anzac Pde
Kensington, NSW 2033
Ph: (1800) 33-6336
Fax: (02) 9313-6216
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
Enjoy spectacular ocean views from many of our Deluxe Studios or choose one of our 1Bedroom Apartments that offer the best of city style accommodation together with a superb beachfront location.
161-167 Dolphin Street
Coogee Beach NSW 2034
Ph: (02) 9665 8588
Fax: (02) 9664 1406
Byron Kennedy Hall
The Entertainment Quarter, Fox Studios
122 Lang Road, Moore Park
+61 2 8117 6700
For more information on Grand Prix–Sydney please contact Robert Teirney, Organised Play Manager, Australia and New Zealand, at firstname.lastname@example.org.