Date: June 30-July 1, 2012
Hyatt Regency Atlanta
265 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Friday, June 29: Noon – 9 p.m.
Saturday, June 30: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Atlanta, Georgia is a brave and beautiful city with an impressive legacy of leadership, progress and inspiration. What better place then to hold a Legacy format Grand Prix? What better time than the week of celebrating our independence?
Last year's Grand Prix in Atlanta broke a format attendance record. The questions are what new achievements and what new experiences will you and your friends be a part of creating this year in Atlanta? To start, we have added Friday Last-Chance Grand Prix Trials in different formats to include Standard and Sealed Deck, along with Legacy. We have added multiple $1,000 public events over the weekend in different formats. Plus there's an amazingly low room rate in our discounted room block at the event hotel of only $99. Special guests include in Matt Tabak from Wizards of the Coast and artists Rob Alexander and rk post. Join your friends for an epic set of experiences in Atlanta this summer that will be remembered by all.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Return to Ravnica in Seattle. |
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, June 29: Registration Noon - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, June 30: Registration 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, June 30: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, July 1: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Atlanta is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
Got some byes? Want to get an extra couple hours of sleep instead of showing up at the venue early for the player meeting? Have we got a deal for you! If you have byes and register Friday night, you will be allowed to verify your byes during registration. Once confirmed, you will be eligible for the “Sleep-In Special" for an additional charge of $20.
You may ONLY skip the player meeting if you paid for the Sleep-In Special.
Required reporting time on Saturday, based on number of byes:
1 Bye: 11 a.m.
2 Byes: 12 p.m. (noon)
3 Byes: 1 p.m.
- Decklists are required (download blank decklist PDF).
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
The Head Judge for this event is Scott Marshall. The official application window has closed to be considered for a judge or admin position. If you wish to volunteer for this event, want to discuss testing, or have other questions, please contact event judge manager Bryan Prillaman at bprill.MTG@gmail.com.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Atlanta Trial tournaments
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-13 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 26, 2011 – April 1, 2012).
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
For a complete schedule of all public events please check back here or visit the Phoenix Games website at www.phoenixgamesinc.com. Here you will find not only the event schedule but information to help you plan every facet of your Magic weekend in Atlanta.
Rob Alexander and rk post will be in attendance. Artists will be on a very tight schedule for the weekend so we may limit the number of cards you can present for signing each time you go through the line. As other artists are confirmed we will add their information as well.
Other Hall Attractions
Grand Prix Atlanta will also feature a number of VIP spell-slingers, including Matt Tabak from Wizards of the Coast, alongside an impressive selection of top vendors from across the nation. For further details on who is attending and other attractions please visit www.phoenixgamesinc.com.
Confirmed vendors include Strike Zone, Gaming ETC, Troll & Toad, Star City Games, Face to Face Games, Game Academy, Super Games, Cape Fear Games, The Gaming Pit, Channel Fireball, Hot Sauce Games & Just Games.
We have an incredible list of vendors who all help in making this and other Premier Events possible for you to enjoy. To support them and you, we will have staff, security and police enforce a strict policy of no cash trading or commercial level trading on the hotel premises. Anyone (buyer or seller) suspected of engaging in cash trades or commercial-level trading other then with vendors at their booth will be removed from the premises.
One of the first hurdles of attending any major city is simply getting there! Luckily for travelers, Atlanta is one of the most accessible cities in the world by plane, train, automobile, and bus.
For those of you planning on spending some time in Atlanta sight-seeing, we strongly encourage you to get a map of the city prior to arriving. Atlanta is well-known for its nonstandard layout, and its fondness for naming streets either "Peachtree" or "Piedmont."
Hartsfield International Airport (Airport Code ATL), just fifteen minutes south of downtown Atlanta or about 12 miles from the hotel, is a two-hour flight (or less) from 80% of the population of the United States and is the international hub for Delta Airlines.
- Hartsfield International Airport Official Site
- FAA's official Hartsfield site (includes major flight delays)
Parking: There is very little free parking in downtown Atlanta but we have arranged a discounted valet parking fee for Magic Players at the Hyatt of only $20 a day. Other parking options exist nearby at various rates.
Quick Reference Driving Directions: When traveling northbound on 75/85, driving from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport or traveling on Interstate 20 you should take 75/85 North to the right-hand exit of 248-C (International Blvd). Turn left onto International Blvd, then turn right at the third traffic light onto Peachtree Center Avenue. Hyatt Regency Atlanta's Motor Lobby entrance is one block on the left.
When traveling southbound on 75/85 or the GA 400, take exit 249-C (Williams Street). Go straight off exit and at the fourth traffic light, turn left onto Harris Street. Then take the third left onto Peachtree Center Avenue. The Hyatt Regency Atlanta hotel entrance is on the left.
MARTA Public Transportation
Atlanta boasts the second-highest rated public transportation system in North America. The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) provides rapid rail service directly from Hartsfield International Airport to the Peachtree Center Rail Station. This station, "carved from the very living rock" ninety feet below Peachtree Street in downtown, is directly connected to the Hyatt Regency through the Peachtree Center Mall and Food Court. The entire walk is covered and almost entirely climate-controlled. The one-way MARTA fare anywhere on the system is $2.50. The MARTA rail system shuts down sometimes from about 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. for track inspection and maintenance, so plan to take alternate transportation to downtown (hotel shuttle, cab, rental car) if you're arriving or departing in the wee hours of the morning.
When Traveling via MARTA from the Airport:
Take the northbound train to the Peachtree Center Station stop, one stop north of the Five Points transfer station. Exit the train and take the escalator up towards Peachtree Center Mall. Once inside the mall, follow the signs to the covered walkway into the Hyatt hotel.
Hyatt Regency Atlanta
265 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-577-1234 for Hotel Info Only