Grand Prix Barcelona is brought to you by Gordian Knot Games.
Date: February 28 - March 2, 2014
Registration: €45 per player (€135 per team)
Preregistration at grandprix.gordianknotgames.co.uk
On-site registration: Friday, February 28 from 14:00 – 22:00
There will be no on-site registration on Saturday.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Make your way to Barcelona with your friends to one of the most anticipated events of the year! The team Grand Prix experience is unlike any other—so start planning your three-person team now and make your way to one of Spain's greatest cities for an unforgettable Magic tournament.
As one of the major touristic hotspots in the Mediterranean, Barcelona is famous for shopping, football and fabulous food. With loads of amazing Magic events for both team and individual players, this is an event you cannot miss!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Barcelona at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Matej Zatlkaj, Pro Tour Hall of Famer Frank Karsten, Simon Görtzen, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 11 a.m. local time / 10 a.m. GMT / 5 a.m. ET.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 400-799 teams, prize money will be paid out to 36th place.
If attendance is 800 or more teams, prize money will be paid out to 51st place.
Top 2 teams also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Journey into Nyx in Atlanta (May 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 400 teams or more, Top 4 finishing teams earn invitations and airfare, and all teams with 36 or more match points who do not make Top 4 earn invitations. All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Theros/Born of the Gods Team Sealed Deck
Participation Fee: 45€ per player (135€ per team)
Registration and Schedule
- Online registration until 22:00 on Friday, February 28 at grandprix.gordianknotgames.co.uk
- Friday, February 28: Registration 14:00 - 22:00
- Saturday, March 1 Grand Prix Barcelona begins at 9:00
- Sunday, March 2: Day Two begins at 9:00
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Barcelona is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Barcelona. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
Players should review the Magic Tournament Rules for the rules specific to Team Tournaments, paying particular attention to the following sections:
- Section 7.7 – Booster Draft Procedure
- Section 8.2 – Team Composition and Identification
- Section 8.3 – Team Communication
- 20 minutes for sealed deck pool registration and deck swap
- 60 minutes for deck building
- Decklists are required
- Deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Team Sealed Deck pools will be pre-registered.
- 60 minutes for deck building
- Decklists are required
- Team members draft at the same draft table with one opposing team (6 total players per draft table). Each team member will be randomly seated between two opposing team members for the draft. No communication (verbal or non-verbal) is permitted between team members during the draft.
- After the draft, team members will be located to separate tables to record their draft pools (15 minutes for draft pool registration and verification). After draft pool registration, team members will sit together for deck building (30 minutes for deck building).
- After the semifinals, the Top 2 teams will draft again using the procedure described above.
- Decklists are required
- Modified Swiss-style rounds of 50 minutes each.
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 5 Swiss rounds and the Top 4 single-elimination playoff.
- All teams with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 40 teams—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- Each round, the team match is won by the team with the most individual match wins.
- The Top 4 teams after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the playoff.
- Top 4 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3 games per individual match, with no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Each team member will be randomly paired against an opposing team member. Only 1 round will be played in the semi-finals and finals.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the playoff, the players on the team that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 4 playoff match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous games decide whether to play first in the next game).
Information coming soon.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Gordian Knot Games website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in February 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
rk post is scheduled to attend Grand Prix Barcelona.
- Magic card art by rk post