Grand Prix Charlotte is brought to you by StarCityGames.com.
Date: February 22-24, 2013
Friday, February 22: 12 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, February 23: 8 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Preregister online at gpcharlotte.com
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
StarCityGames.com is proud to present Grand Prix Charlotte, and along with it, the second Gold Rush! This exciting promotion puts almost 3,000 incredibly rare and valuable cards randomly into the hands of Grand Prix players! This includes two complete sets of: Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, foil Ravnica: City of Guilds, foil Guildpact and foil Dissension! Gold Rush envelopes are provided randomly to winners of Grand Prix Trials on Friday night, participants in the Grand Prix, winners of all 8-player side events, both heads of Two-Headed Giant winning teams, and participants in Sunday's "Win a Trip to Grand Prix Miami $5,000 Challenge."
The weekend also features artists Eric Deschamps, Steve Belledin, and our guest of honor Terese Nielsen!
Grand Prix Charlotte will also offer participants a set of exclusive commemorative tokens featuring popular Magic personalities Patrick Chapin, Brian Kibler, Gerry Thompson, Mike Flores, and Brad Nelson, drawn by Kristen Plescow who will be at the Grand Prix hanging out in the artist area.
|Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Charlotte at DailyMTG.com and SCGLive's Twitch.tv channel with Mike Flores, Joey Pasco, and Matthias Hunt. The live video stream will start at approximately 11 a.m. ET Saturday.|
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Dragon's Maze in San Diego (May 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare.
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Gatecrash Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, February 22: Registration 12 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, February 23: Registration 8 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, February 23: Grand Prix Charlotte begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, February 24: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Charlotte is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Gatecrash boosters for Day 1 sealed deck
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Gatecrash boosters for Day 2 and Top 8 Draft
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Grand Prix Charlotte will be run over two days using modified Swiss-style rounds of 50 minutes each. The number of rounds on Day 1 will be determined based on the number of players registered, Players will be paired randomly against players with similar win-loss records, with match points accumulating throughout the event.
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff round.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- When necessary, standings as of the final Swiss round will be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Level 4 Judge Chris Richter will be the Head Judge for this event. StarCityGames.com will be hosting a Judge Conference on Friday, February 22. To register to attend the Judge Conference, please visit the Magic JudgeApps page.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Charlotte, the cutoff date will be February 20.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Charlotte Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on gpcharlotte.com. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Other Hall Attractions
Friday, February 22 from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.: All-Star Meet and Greet with Magic greats Mike Flores, Gerry Thompson, Brad Nelson and Hall of Famers Brian Kibler and Patrick Chapin.
We're excited to showcase one of the best fantasy artists in the game. Terese Nielsen's body of work includes Force of Will, Eternal Witness, the GURU lands, and many more. Check out her recently released Series One lithographs or get them in person at Grand Prix Charlotte!
Eric Deschamps has been illustrating amazing cards for Magic since 2003, starting with Unhinged. This New York-based artist has painted many beautiful pieces including Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, Koth of the Hammer, and Olivia Voldaren.
Painting for Magic: The Gathering since the release of Shadowmoor, Steven Belledin's work has been celebrated for its attention to gritty detail and amazing use of light and scale. His work continues to grace the top tables of tournament play.
Airport, hotel, and other travel information can be found at gpcharlotte.com.