Date: April 9-10, 2011
Fort Worth Convention Center
1201 Houston Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Friday, April 8: Registration times Noon - 8 p.m.
Saturday, April 9: Registration times 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Everything is bigger in Texas, so this will be a super-sized Texas Grand Prix, with bigger than usual fun! Located in the heart of Texas, Grand Prix Dallas/Fort Worth will be an amazing event starting on Friday and ending late Sunday. An event that has something for everyone, the Grand Prix will include casual and competitive events at all times. If you cannot make it one day, there is certainly something for you the next day.
In addition to great Magic events (the Standard main event, Commander, Two-Headed Giant, drafts, Win-A-Box for all formats), there will be vendors from all over the country to buy, sell, and trade with. If you're a fan of Magic artists, this is a show not to miss. We have a very rare U.S. appearance by John Avon—the master of all Magic lands! John has created some of the most memorable lands in all of Magic, as well as the Grand Prix promo Maelstrom Pulse. Fan favorite Steve Argyle, the artist behind such cards as Chandra Ablaze, Slave of Bolas, Everflowing Chalice, and Admonition Angel, will also be in attendance.
So join us for this amazing event—the fun is huge, the prizes are bountiful and the giveaways are great. Gather your friends, make your plans and we will see you in Texas!!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participation Fee: $40
Grand Prix Dallas/Fort Worth will feed Pro Tour Philadelphia.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, April 8: Registration times Noon - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, April 9: Registration times 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, April 9: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, April 10: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Dallas/Fort Worth is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The head judge for this event is Sheldon Menery. The judge staff for this event has been finalized. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on April 6, 2011.
- Winners of Grand Prix Dallas/Fort Worth Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on April 6, 2011.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on April 6, 2011.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Friday: Grand Prix Trial Grinders
Entry Fee: $20
Structure: Each single elimination grinder will start when 32 players register, and new grinders will continue to start until registration closes at 8 p.m.
Prizes: First place: 3-round bye for the Grand Prix and 18 packs of Mirrodin Besieged
Second place: 18 packs of Mirrodin Besieged
Third/Fourth place: 9 packs of Mirrodin Besieged
Sunday: Pro Tour Nagoya Qualifier
Win a trip to Nagoya – and your spot on the Pro Tour!
Entry Fee: $25
Registration: 9 a.m.
Start: 10 a.m.
Prizes: 1st place – Pro Tour Invite and Travel Award, Top 8 win PT Top 8 pins, additional prizes TBD by participation.
For a complete schedule of Public Events, visit www.pastimes.net.
The Amtrak Station is located approximately 0.4 km/0.25 miles from the event site.
Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW) is located approximately 40.23 km/25.0 miles from the event site. Super Shuttle is offering our group a special rate of $15 per person, per direction, to/from DFW International airport and $32 per person, per direction, to/from Dallas Love Field. For attendees who choose to book “round trip” reservations we will discount an additional $2 off, making the total fare as low as $28.
The Greyhound Bus Station is located approximately 0.5 km/0.31 miles from the event site.
For additional information, email email@example.com.
Fort Worth Convention Center
1201 Houston Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102