Grand Prix Houston is brought to you by Pastimes.
Date: June 14-16, 2013
Friday, June 14: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, June 15: 7:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Houston. The first word said from the moon! This great city, the fourth largest in the U.S., will play host to one of this year's greatest Magic events, Grand Prix Houston. Whether or not this is your first rodeo in the Magic GP arena, you will have an incredible time at this event—because there is something for everyone. The format of this Grand Prix is Return to Ravnica Sealed Deck and Booster Draft, showcasing the entire block: Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze. It is the only time in the United States that this format will be used at an individual Grand Prix.
The focus of this weekend is on fun for everyone, from the casual player to the Pro Tour champion. The Grand Prix will be amazing itself, but there are so many great side events, there will be no time to get bored. Enjoy the VIP service if you are playing in the Grand Prix, or play in our newly formatted Commander side events. Play Standard for Sealed Sets, or enjoy our Japanese Sealed Event with Ravnica: City of Guilds block and Return to Ravnica block sets (yep, you read that right!). We even have a Father's Day Two-Headed Giant event that is FREE for any parent/child team (event is open to all). And for those who decide to pre-register, you earn free entry to the Grand Prix Grand Melee!
So saddle up and make your plans to join us for a weekend of fun culminating Sunday with the thrilling Top 8 of the Grand Prix and the Super Sunday Series, an awesome event with a fantastic first prize: a trip to Wizards of the Coast in Seattle! Book the weekend of June 14-16 and plan to have one of the most Magic-al weekends ever.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Return to Ravnica Block Sealed Deck and Booster Draft
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, June 14, 2013: Registration 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, June 15, 2013: Registration 7:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
- Saturday, June 15, 2013: Grand Prix Houston begins at 10:15 a.m.
- Sunday, June 16: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Houston is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 2 Return to Ravnica booster packs, 2 Gatecrash booster packs, 2 Dragon's Maze booster packs
- Booster Draft Product: 1 Dragon's Maze booster, 1 Gatecrash booster, and 1 Return to Ravnica booster (drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The window for applying for staff positions has closed.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Houston, the cutoff date will be June 12.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Houston Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. For complete information about the Grand Prix, pre-registration, side events, artists and more, be sure to check out the Pastimes website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in January 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
Prominent Magic artists Rob Alexander and Clint Cearley will be on hand for free signings of your favorite cards, plus you'll have the opportunity to buy prints and even original artwork.
The Event is at the George Brown Convention Center. Here is information about getting there and some general information about getting around the area.
Interactive map and general directions from major highways
Interactive map of parking lots and garages around the GRB
Bus, Airport, Taxi and Car Rental information
Downtown Houston Map
Downloadable PDF of Downtown
Downloadable PDF of Houston