Grand Prix Indianapolis Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers the winner a three-round bye to Grand Prix Indianapolis.
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with local organizer for specific information.
- The format for each Grand Prix Trial chosen by the individual store running the event. Possible formats include Sealed Deck, Standard, Extended, Modern, or Innistrad Block Constructed. Contact the store or check the event locator for the format of each individual Grand Prix Trial. For Grand Prix Indianapolis Trials, the Legacy format is also an allowed format.
- If the chosen format is Sealed Deck, the Top 8 for the event will be Boosters Draft or Sealed Deck. If the event is run prior to February 3, 2012 the product mix for the event will be 6 Innistrad boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 3 Innistrad boosters per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- If the chosen format is Sealed Deck, the top 8 for the event will be Boosters Draft or Sealed Deck. If the event is run February 3, 2012 or later, the product mix for the event will be 3 Innistrad and 3 Dark Ascension boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 1 Dark Ascension and 2 Innistrad boosters (in that order) per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- Deck lists are required
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
|8||3 Rounds||None (run Single Elimination)|
|9-16||4 Rounds||If Sealed format, cut to Top 8
If Constructed format, cut to Top 4
|17 - 32||5 Rounds||Top 8|
|33 - 64||6 Rounds||Top 8|
|65 - 128||7 Rounds||Top 8|
|129 - 226||8 Rounds||Top 8|
|227 - 409||9 Rounds||Top 8|
|410 or higher||10 Rounds||Top 8|
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 3x
- REL Competitive
- All the Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- This is a premier Magic tournament. Organizers and judges of a Grand Prix Trial are not permitted to play in the tournament.
- Winner receives a three-round bye at Grand Prix Indianapolis.
- Product prizes to be determined by the organizer.
- Players who want more specific tournament or registration information should contact the store hosting the Grand Prix Trial.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or visit www.wizards.com/customerservice.