Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur is brought to you by Play! Events.
Date: January 24-26, 2014
Registration: MYR RM120
Online registration at www.playeventsasia.com
On-site registration: Friday, January 24 from 2-9 p.m.
There will be no on-site registration on Saturday.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Welcome to Kuala Lumpur! The federal capital and most populous city in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur is the cultural, financial and economic centre of Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur is one of the most-visited cities in the world, with tourists driven by the city's cultural diversity and wide gastronomic and shopping variety. Kuala Lumpur is also home to the tallest twin buildings in the world, the Petronas Twin Towers, which have become an iconic symbol of Malaysia.
Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur is open to the public and all players are invited to participate. Be enthralled in an epic battle of Theros Sealed Deck and immerse yourself in the mythical realm of Theros! In addition, the side-event schedule will be jam-packed with exhilarating events with multiple formats. With Planeswalker Points multipliers of 8x for the main event and 3x for all side events, there is no better way to chalk up those Planeswalker Points! A Sleep-In Special will be available (for a fee) allowing players with byes to have more snooze time on Saturday. Local and international dealers will be on hand, whether you are looking for that elusive card for your Commander deck or looking to barter or unload your cards.
Register for the main event and receive a Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur exclusive Ashen Rider playmat by Chris Rahn (while supplies last).
Come on down to Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur for an amazing and unforgettable weekend of Magic!
Participants in Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur get this Chris Rahn original-art playmat (while supplies last).
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400+ participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Journey into Nyx in Atlanta (May 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Theros Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: MYR RM120
Registration and Schedule
- Online registration at www.playeventsasia.com until Sunday, January 19, 11:59 p.m.
- Friday, January 24: Registration 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, January 25 Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, January 26: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
- Theros Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
- Day One: Sealed Deck
- Day Two and Top 8 Playoff: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Theros boosters
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Theros boosters
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players—whichever is greater—advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players—whichever is greater—advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
Riccardo Tessitori will be the head judge for Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur, the cutoff date will be January 22nd.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 2, 2013 – March 9, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in February 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
Winona Nelson and Anthony Palumbo will be at Grand Prix Kuala Lumpur to meet fans and sign cards. Nelson is a freelance illustrator, working in science fiction and fantasy, video games, trading card games, and comics. Palumbo is an illustrator and gallery artist. His art has appeared on book covers, trading card games, and video games.
Strategically located in the heart of Petaling Jaya, the bustling suburb of Kuala Lumpur, the convention centre is just 35 minutes drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and well served by an extensive network of expressways and rapid rail systems.