Grand Prix Las Vegas is brought to you by Cascade Games, LLC.
Date: June 21 - 23, 2013
Format: Modern Masters Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
ATTENTION: Due to the high number of attendees anticipated at this event and in order to ensure a quality experience for all players, Cascade Games will be capping the participation at 4,500 players.
Preregistration for Grand Prix Las Vegas can be done at the Cascade Games website and will remain open until 9 p.m. PT on Thursday, June 20 or until 4,400 players have preregistered, whichever comes first. This ensures that a mininum of 100 seats are reserved for on-site registration on Friday. Those seats will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. On-site registration will remain open until Friday night at 8 p.m. or until the cap is reached, whichever comes first.
There will be no registration for Grand Prix Las Vegas on the morning of Saturday, June 22, as previously announced. This will allow the tournament to start as close to the announced start time as possible while ensuring the best possible experience for all those who attend.
Attendance to be capped at 4,500 players
Preregistration open until Thursday, June 20 at 9 p.m. PT or until 4,400 players preregister
Friday June 21, 2013, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
There is no Saturday registration.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Magic: The Gathering returns to Las Vegas after more than a decade with the only Modern Masters Sealed Deck / Booster Draft Grand Prix in the world! This event is open to the public and allows casual and competitive players to participate in a large event celebrating Magic's ode to Modern with this one-of-a-kind event. Planeswalker Point multipliers of 8x for the main event and 3x for all other events will pump your point totals like no other weekend. Bring the whole family out for a summer vacation in the gaming capital of the world!
We have a very special free Modern Masters Mega Mini-Masters tournament for registered or preregistered players onsite at noon on Friday, June 21! For this single-elimination event, you'll get one booster pack plus 15 land for your initial deck, and you'll get a new pack each time you win to revise your deck!
Cascade Games has special events planned all weekend to cater to every type of Magic enthusiast. National dealers will be on hand to sell you the sought-after cards you need to finish out your favorite decks. Acclaimed artists will also set up shop to meet their fans, sign cards, offer sketches, and other exclusives. Whether you want to challenge hordes of other players for Grand Prix supremacy or just spend a relaxing weekend playing casually with other gamers, Grand Prix Las Vegas has something for you.
Preregistration is available for the Grand Prix. A sleep-in special is offered (for a fee), allowing players with byes a little extra time before having to show up on site. Details are shared on the Grand Prix Las Vegas preregistration page.
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Las Vegas at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Rashad Miller, Marshall Sutcliffe, Ben Swartz, and Sheldon Menery. The live video stream will start at approximately 2 p.m. local time / 5 p.m. ET / 10 p.m. GMT.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Modern Masters Sealed / Draft
Participation Fee: $60
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, June 21, 2013: Registration 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Reminder: Participation will be capped at 4,500 players and there is NO Saturday registration.
- Saturday, June 22, 2013: Grand Prix Las Vegas begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, June 23, 2013: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Las Vegas is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity and consent form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage and be eligible to receive prizes. Forms can be downloaded here (100k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on this form. Consent forms are usually collected during registration (contact the event organizer for details).
- Day 1: Sealed Deck
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 6 Modern Masters boosters for Day 1 sealed deck
- Booster Draft Product: 3 Modern Masters boosters for Day 2 and Top 8 Draft
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for Grand Prix Las Vegas are Toby Elliott and Jason Lemahieu. Level 1 judge certification testing will be available all weekend. Level 2 judge certification testing will be available by appointment. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Las Vegas, the cutoff date will be June 19.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Las Vegas Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Cascade Games website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in January 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
Cascade Games has an amazing artist alley for Grand Prix Las Vegas. Check the Cascade Games site for more updates about these artists and other exciting opportunities.
- Magic card art by Steve Argyle
- Magic card art by Thomas M. Baxa
- Magic card art by Daarken
- Magic card art by Michael C. Hayes
- Magic card art by Chuck Lukacs
- Magic card art by Anson Maddocks
- Magic card art by rk post
- Magic card art by Chris Rahn
- Magic card art by Mark Tedin
- Magic card art by Pete Venters
The Electric Daisy Carnival is in Las Vegas the same weekend as Grand Prix Las Vegas. Book your travel and accommodations early, as availability may be limited closer to the event.
Palace Station Hotel
2411 West Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89102