Date: February 25-26, 2012
Format: Innistrad Block Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Recinto Ferial Casa de Campo
Pabellon de la Pipa
Avenida Principal N°6
28011 Madrid, Spain
Friday, February 24: 16.00 – 22.00
Saturday, February 25: 08.00 – 09.00
Doors open at 12:00 Friday and 08:00 Saturday and Sunday. Entrance to the hall is free.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Take part in a weekend of serious Magic fun with a bunch of exciting things to do! Join the fun in Public Events including 8-player pick-up games, Legacy, Casual Standard Dueling and more. Meet Magic artists Aleksi Briclot and Jaime Jones and get your cards signed or try out Duels of the Planeswalkers. Or take part in the main tournament and get a cool foil promo card!Whatever you want to do, Grand Prix Madrid will be a weekend to remember!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored in Barcelona. |
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Format: Innistrad/Dark Ascension Sealed Deck / Booster Draft
Participation Fee: €40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, February 24: Registration 16.00 – 22.00
- Saturday, February 25: Registration 08.00 – 09.00
- Saturday, February 25: Tournament begins at 09.30
- Sunday, February 26: Day Two begins at 08.00
The main tournament at Grand Prix Madrid is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Day 1: Sealed Deck (3 packs of Innistrad, 3 packs of Dark Ascension)
- Day 2 and Top 8: Booster Draft (1 pack of Dark Ascension, 2 packs of Innistrad drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judges for this tournament are Kevin Desprez and Riccardo Tessitori. If you want to become a judge or judge in this tournament, please contact Regional Judge Coordinator Alfonso Bueno at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players ranked in the top 300 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
- Winners of Grand Prix Madrid Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,200 Planeswalker Points Competitive standings in the current or previous Seasonal Award season
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players ranked in the top 2,000 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 600 Planeswalker Points Competitive standings in the current or previous Seasonal Award season
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players ranked in the top 15,000 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 300 Planeswalker Points Competitive standings in the current or previous Seasonal Award season
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
The start of the last public events will be four hours prior to the estimated end of the main event but not earlier then 16.00. Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to make any changes to the schedule without prior notice.
All Public Events at Grand Prix Madrid will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
You can download complete information on Grand Prix Madrid public events here (PDF).
Aleksi Briclot and Jaime Jones will be in attendance at Grand Prix Madrid.
Other Hall Attractions
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 20.00h we start the Magic Game Show with our host Richard Hagon. It’s a Magic quiz you can participate with a team of 1 to 4 people. All you need to do is bring your friends! Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies.
Win Cool Magic Prizes in the Raffle!
Enter in the free raffle and win Path of the Planeswalker graphic anthologies, laptop bags, foil boosters, free draft vouchers or other cool Magic prizes. All you need to do is fill out the raffle form and drop it in the box before 15:00 on Saturday or 15:00 on Sunday. Winners will be announced during the next break between rounds. Only one entry per person. When you have entered the raffle on Saturday, you are automatically included in the raffle on Sunday.
Duels of the Planeswalkers
Get a sneak peek at the new downloadable content for Duels of the Planeswalkers Xbox LIVE® Arcade.
Although trading is both allowed and encouraged, please note that the following things are not permitted at this event:
- Buying/selling cards with anyone except for our authorized dealer(s)
- Soliciting to buy/sell cards elsewhere
- Advertising without receiving permission from Wizards of the Coast’s on-site Event Manager
- Utilizing an excessive amount of space when trading
- Using suitcases, handcarts, luggage carts, etc. for the purpose of transporting excessive amounts of trade stock.
Arriving by Plane
The Madrid-Barajas airport is located within Madrid's transportation core zone, the A zone, and is conveniently served by the metro and local buses. A one-way metro ticket from the airport costs €2 (€1 additional airport surcharge included), and will take you anywhere within the A zone. Alternatively, you could buy a tourist pass, which also includes the airport surcharge. To get to the site, take line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios, and then change to L6, to Alto de Extremadura.
Arriving by Train
Most of the trains arrive at the Atocha station. From there, you can take the metro or bus 36 (stop Pº Extremadura- Albéniz) to get to the venue. The site is accessible from the metro station Alto de Extremadura (L6). If arriving at the Chamartín station, you can take metro line 10 directly from there and change to L6 in Nuevos Ministerios.
Arriving by Car
Madrid is at the center of all major roads in Spain. Motorways A1 to A6 will take you straight to Madrid.
Recinto Ferial Casa de Campo Pabellon de la Pipa
Avenida Principal N°6
28011 Madrid, Spain
Top 64 payout information: email@example.com