The Magic: The Gathering
Tournament Format And Schedule
The format for Grand Prix—Matsuyama is Kamigawa Block Sealed Deck + Booster Draft. All DCI
- Friday, May 13: Registration from 17:00-21:00. Players who cannot attend registration will be allowed to register on Saturday morning between 08:30 and 09:00 for an additional fee of ¥500.
- Saturday, May 14: Tournament begins at 09:00. The Top 64 players from Day 1 advance to Day 2. (In the event Grand Prix—Matsuyama has more than 800 players, the Top 128 players from Day 1 will advance to Day 2.)
- Sunday, May 15: Play begins at 9:00. The Top 8 players from Day 2 will play 3 rounds of single-elimination competition to determine the Grand Prix—Matsuyama champion.
Access To Item Ehime
- Located 5 minutes by car from Matsuyama airport
- Located 15 minutes by car from JR Matsuyama station
- Located 15 minutes on foot from Yamanishi station on the Iyo-tetsu Takahama line.
Tournament Registration And Player Contact
The main tournament at Grand Prix—Matsuyama is open to Magic players of all ages. Registration will be held on site on Friday and Saturday morning.
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Japan Organized Play Manager
- Tournament Structure
The structure for Grand Prix—Matsuyama is modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds, with the number of rounds determined by the number of participating players), with the Top 64 players advancing to the Sunday finals for prizes and invitations. (In the event Grand Prix—Matsuyama has more than 800 participating players, the Top 128 players will advance to Day 2.) On Day 2, there will be a Booster Draft (consisting of 2 Japanese Champions of Kamigawa boosters and 1 Japanese Betrayers of Kamigawa boosters) and 3 Swiss rounds of competition, followed by another draft with 3 additional Swiss rounds, to determine the Top 8 players. After performing another draft, the Top 8 players will face off in single elimination play to determine the Grand Prix—Matsuyama champion
- Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative through the season or year.)
Byes for Grand Prix—Matsuyama are based on the 2005 Pro Tour Nagoya professional standings and DCI ratings as of February 9, 2005. Please refer to the Grand Prix—Matsuyama bye list for details. Byes may also be earned through a Grand Prix—Matsuyama Trial tournament.
- Head Judge
Masayuki Kunimitsu (Level 3/Japan)
The Top 8 previously uninvited finishing players at Grand Prix—Matsuyama will each receive an invitation to Pro Tour London (July 8-10, 2005). If a player who wins an invitation to Pro Tour Londonat Grand Prix—Matsuyama has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher. Previous qualification may occur through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid on the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix—Matsuyama will also feature the standard main tournament prize schedule as well as a special Amateur prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur teams in addition to any winnings those teams receive from the main tournament prize schedule . All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $2,400 2 $1,700 3 $1,200 4 $1,000 5-8 $800 9-16 $500 17-32 $250 Total: $17,500 Amateur Division Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $1,500 2 $1,000 3-4 $700 5-8 $400 9-16 $250 Total: $7,500
- Amateur Status
A player is considered to have amateur status as long as he or she has 0 lifetime pro points. If a player has ever been awarded ANY pro points from a Grand Prix, Pro Tour, or World Championship event, that player no longer has amateur status, may not participate in the Amateur Championship or Junior Super Series tournaments, and is not eligible for amateur awards at Grand Prix or other tournaments.
- Eight-person on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
- Other events as to be announced
Eight-Person On-Demand Tournaments
- Standard, Extended: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,000
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
Special Guest Artist
NOTE: The following hotels are not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. The hotels on this list are taken from guidebooks and provided here for your convenience only.
ANA Hotel Matsuyama
Single rooms from ¥7,800
Matusuyama Toukyuu Inn
Single rooms from ¥ 7,140
Tokyo Dai-ichi Hotel Matsuyama
Single rooms from ¥ 7,800