Grand Prix Milan is brought to you by TournamentCenter.eu.
Date: June 27-29, 2014
Format: Theros Block Sealed Deck/Draft
Entry into the Grand Prix event venue is free of charge.
Online registration until 22:00 on Friday, June 27 on www.tournamentcenter.eu
On-site registration: Friday June 27, from 14:00-22:00
There will be no Saturday registration for this event.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Travel to beautiful Milan and take part in a weekend of serious Magic fun with a bunch of exciting things to do!
Join the fun in Side Events on Friday with Grand Prix Trials from 12:00 onward. Meet Magic artists and get your cards signed.
Whatever you want to do, Grand Prix Milan will be a weekend to remember!
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Milan at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Tim Willoughby, Riley Knight, Simon Görtzen, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 8 a.m. ET / 12 p.m. GMT Saturday.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400 or more participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir in Honolulu (October 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
Participation Fee: €50
Registration and Schedule
- Online Registration until 22:00 on Friday, June 27 at www.tournamentcenter.eu
- On-site registration: Friday, June 27, from 14:00 – 22:00
- Saturday, June 28: Grand Prix Milan begins at 09:00
- Sunday, June 29: Day Two begins at 09:00
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Milan is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Milan. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
- Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
- Day One: Sealed Deck
- Day Two and Top 8: Booster draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 2 Journey Into Nyx boosters, 2 Born of the Gods boosters, 2 Theros boosters
- Booster Draft Product: 1 Journey into Nyx booster, 1 Born of the Gods booster, and 1 Theros booster (drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The head judges for Grand Prix Milan will be Riccardo Tessitori and Jurgen Baert. Judges wishing to apply for this event should do so through the Judge Center.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Milan, the cutoff date will be June 25th.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Milan Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the www.tournamentcenter.eu website. All side events (except casual events) will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in January 23-24 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
Svetlin Velinov and Johann Bodin are scheduled to attend Grand Prix Milan.
Magic card art by Svetlin Veloniv
Svetlin Velinov Svetlin Velimov works and lives in Bulgaria, and is one of Europe's most talented illustrators and concept artists.
Magic card art by Johann Bodin
Johann Bodin At the age of 28, Johann Bodin became a professional illustrator in 2005. Since then, he has worked on many covers for science fiction and fantasy books for numerous French publishers. Since 2009, he has been illustrating cards for Magic: The Gathering. He also works for video games, press magazines, and is frequently sought-after to develop the artwork for album covers and festival posters.
Artist Schedule Saturday/Sunday: 10:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00 (subject to change based on wait times and artist convenience)
Arriving by Plane
Milan has two main international air gateways, Linate Airport and Malpensa Airport. Sometimes referred to as Milan's additional airports, Bergamo's Orio al Seio Airport (45km east) and Parma Airport (100km south) mostly host budget airlines.
Milan Malpensa Airport is approximately 16km from Malpensa Fiere. By car or taxi, follow the SS36 toward Milan and take the Busto Arsizio-Cassano Magnago exit (approximately 10 minutes). The Malpensa Express is also available; this train provides a link from the airport to the Ferrovie Nord Milano railway station in Busto Arsizio (approximately 3km from Malpensa Fiere). For information, visit www.ferrovienord.it.
You can enjoy a special rate of €60 per night by booking here.
Holiday Inn Express Milan
Via Francesco De Pinedo — Ang. Via G. Oldrini — Case Nuove
21019 Somma Lombardo (VA)
There is a free shuttle service from this hotel to the airport. There will be a shuttle service from this hotel to the venue (see below).
To aid players in getting to the venue, a shuttle service has been arranged between Malpensa Aiport, the preferred hotel, and the venue.
- Malpensa Airport
- Malpensa Fiere
- Holiday Inn Express Milan Malpensa Aiport
10:00–11:00 Shuttle at 10:00 and 10:40
11:00-23:00 Shuttle every 20 minutes
07:30-09:00 Shuttle every 10 minutes
09:00-18:00 Shuttle every 40 minutes
18:00-23:30 Shuttle every 20 minutes
07:30-11:00 Shuttle every 20 minutes
11:00-15:30 Shuttle every 40 minutes
15:30-21:30 Shuttle every 20 minutes
For a fixed fee of €12,50 you can use the shuttle service as much as you want during the entire weekend. Seats on the shuttle are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
To guarantee your weekend shuttle pass, be sure to register online at tournamentcenter.eu before Wednesday, June 25, 12:00.