Date: January 14-15, 2012
Wyndham Orlando Resort
8001 International Dr
Orlando, Florida 32819
Friday, January 13: Noon – 9 p.m.
Saturday, January 14: 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Get a promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Orlando, Florida. The name alone conjures up images of warmth, theme parks, and world-class shopping. And in January, it also should conjure up an image of world-class Magic: The Gathering competition. Just as Orlando has something for everyone, Grand Prix Orlando will have events for everyone, from the GP road warrior to your laid-back kitchen-table spellslinger.
Orlando boasts an average high of 71°F in January, so while the rest of the northern hemisphere is under blizzard advisories or huddled next to the space heater, you can be enjoying three full days of Magic wearing shorts and your favorite t-shirt!
There will also be vendors from all over the country ready to help you complete those last-minute changes to your deck incorporating the new tech you just discovered.
Also, to help leave more cash in your pocket for all the things there are to do in Orlando, Phoenix Games has negotiated a special rate for Magic players at the Wyndham Hotel. When booking your reservation, please call the hotel at 1-800-421-8001 and use the code ‘Phoenix Games’ to receive your super discounted room rate of $89.00 and free parking.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
|Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Avacyn Restored in Barcelona. |
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, January 13: Registration Noon - 9 p.m.
- Saturday, January 14: Registration 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, January 14: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, January 15: Day Two begins at 10 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Orlando is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required.
- Each Player must use the same deck on Day 2 that he or she used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Judges and Admin Staff
The Head Judge for this event is Riccardo Tessitori. The official application window to be considered for either a judge or an admin position has passed. However, if you wish to volunteer for this event, want to discuss testing, or have other questions, please contact Bryan Prillaman.
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players ranked in the top 300 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
- Winners of Grand Prix Orlando Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players ranked in the top 2,000 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players ranked in the top 15,000 in the Planeswalker Points Competitive standings for the corresponding competitive season.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
For a complete schedule of all public events please visit the Phoenix Games website at www.phoenixgamesinc.com. Here you will find not only the event schedule but information to help you plan every facet of your Magic weekend in Orlando.
All Public Events at Grand Prix Orlando will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
The featured artist at Grand Prix Orlando is Matt Stewart. His portfolio includes such cards as Dungrove Elder, Rootbound Crag, Skinshifter and Serendib Efreet in the From the Vault: Exiled set. As other artists are confirmed, they will be added to this page.
Other Hall Attractions
Grand Prix Orlando will also feature a number of VIP Spell Slingers alongside an impressive selection of top vendors from across the nation. For further details on who is attending and other attractions, please visit www.phoenixgamesinc.com.
Orlando International Airport (MCO) is the closest airport located 12 miles from the event site. Players arriving by air can use the shuttle, a taxi service, or rent a car to best reach the hotel. Shuttle service is provided by Mears Transportation Group every 15-30 minutes and is available for about $19 one way or $30 roundtrip. Tickets may be booked online or by calling 407-423-5566. Taxi service from the airport to the hotel will cost about $35 one-way. Rental cars are available at the airport and driving directions can be found below.
From Orlando International Airport: Leaving the terminal, take 528 West (also known as the Bee Line Expressway Toll Road). Exit off 528 West at Exit 2 Universal Blvd. Turn right onto Universal Blvd then make a left onto Sand Lake Road. Wyndham Resort will be on your left side just before reaching the International Drive stop light.
From Florida Turnpike: Exit the Florida Turnpike at I-4 and go West towards Tampa then follow I-4 directions listed below.
From I-4: Take Exit 74A onto FL-482 also known as Sand Lake Road. Head East on Sand Lake Road and go through the International Drive stop light. Wyndham Resort will be on your right with three entrances along Sand Lake Road.
Free parking is available for hotel guests who book rooms within the Phoenix Games Discounted Room Block of $89 a night.
The Amtrak train station (ORL) is located about 13 miles from the event site.
A Greyhound bus station is located about 13 miles from the event site.
For local bus schedules around the Metro Area please visit Lynx Transportation.
Wyndham Orlando Resort
8001 International Dr
Orlando, Florida 32819