Date: August 27-28, 2011
David L Lawrence Convention Center
1000 Ft. Duquesne Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Friday, August 26: Registration Noon - 9 p.m.
Saturday, August 27: Registration 7 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
For the first time since 2003, the Grand Prix circuit returns to Pittsburgh! The David L. Lawrence Convention Center in downtown Pittsburgh, host of the past two Grand Prix events in Pittsburgh, will again play host to the Grand Prix. We’ll have events from casual to competitive all weekend long, and if you’re looking for a little fun outside of the venue, the David L. Lawrence Convention Center is located just minutes from the Strip District or Market Square.
One amazing artist and one special spellslinger add to the activities at the Grand Prix. Pittsburgh’s own Christopher Moeller (Meddling Mage, Pernicious Deed, Umezawa's Jitte) will be in attendance to meet fans and sign cards. Current Magic: The Gathering Director of R&D and former Team CMU member and local-boy-turned-Wizards-employee Aaron Forsythe will be in town to spellsling and bring some Team CMU stories home with him.
In addition to the promotional Maelstrom Pulse, the first 600 attendees who register will receive a playmat featuring art by Christopher Moeller. Additionally, players who participate in Public Events receive a "North American Grand Prix Tour" deck box (while supplies last). This box is the sixth in a series of eight being given away at North American Grand Prix in 2011. These deck boxes are customized with Steve Argyle art along one panel so that when all eight are collected and placed side by side, they create a full eight-piece mural.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Participation Fee: $40
Grand Prix Pittsburgh will feed Pro Tour Dark Ascension in Honolulu in 2012.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, August 26: Registration – Noon to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, August 27: Registration – 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Saturday, August 27: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 28: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Pittsburgh is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available on site. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required. Decklists can be downloaded here (PDF) and will be available on site.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix Pittsburgh is Kevin Desprez. The judge staff is now full and we are no longer accepting applications. Judge certification will be available on site.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on August 24, 2011.
- Winners of Grand Prix Pittsburgh Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on August 24, 2011.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on August 24, 2011.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Friday: Grand Prix Trial Grinders
Entry Fee: $20
Structure: Each single elimination grinder will start when 32 players register, and new grinders will continue to start until registration closes at 8 p.m.
Prizes: 1st place: 3-round bye for the Grand Prix; current set pack prizes to Top 8.
For a complete schedule of Public Events, visit www.professional-events.com.
Christopher Moeller will be at Grand Prix Pittsburgh. Due to circumstances beyond our control, Mark Tedin will not be in attendance. A replacement is in the works and we hope to announce it soon.
Pittsburgh is a well-connected city. It’s location in Western Pennsylvania makes it convenient to get to by air and ground transportation -- and once you’re here, getting around is easy.
From the Airport
Take I-376 E (towards Pittsburgh) through the Fort Pitt Tunnel and across the Fort Pitt Bridge. Take Ft. Duquesne Blvd Exit 6C. Follow sign to Convention/Strip District on 10th Street Bypass. Convention Center located on the right.
From the East | PA Turnpike
I-76 W (PA Turnpike) to Exit 57 Pittsburgh. Take I-376 W to Exit 2B Blvd. of the Allies. Take I-579 N to Seventh Ave /Convention Center Exit. Take Seventh Ave. Turn right onto William Penn Way. William Penn Way becomes 10th St. Convention Center straight ahead.
From the West | PA Turnpike
I-76 E (PA Turnpike) to Exit 28 Cranberry. Follow signs to I-79 S to I-279 S across Ft. Duquesne Bridge to 10th Street Bypass. Convention Center located on the right.
From the North
I-79 S to I-279 S across Ft. Duquesne Bridge to 10th Street Bypass. Convention Center located on the right.
From the South
I-79 N to Exit 59 A Pittsburgh to I-279 N through Ft. Pitt Tunnels and across the Ft. Pitt Bridge. Take Ft. Duquesne Blvd Exit 6C. Follow sign to Convention/Strip District on 10th Street Bypass. Convention Center located on the right.
- Parking options within a 15-minute walk of the Convention Center
- Pittsburgh Parking Authority Garages, including the new Grant Street Transportation Center Garage
David L Lawrence Convention Center
1000 Ft. Duquesne Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15222