The Magic: The Gathering
Av. Paulista 735
Sao Paulo, Brazil 01311-100
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix-São Paulo is Standard Constructed. All DCI
- Friday, July 12th : Registration from 18:00 to 21:00.
- Saturday, July 13th: Late Registration from 7:30-8:30. Tournament begins at 9:00. The tournament will be Modified Swiss style, with 50-minute rounds. The number of rounds will be determined by the number of participants in the tournament. The Top 64 players advance to the second day on Sunday.
- Sunday, July 14th: Top 64 begin at 9:00, with six 50-minute Modified Swiss style rounds. The top 8 will immediately follow, with 60-minute time limits for the quarterfinal rounds and 90-minute limits for the semifinals. The Finals will be untimed.
Players must use the same Standard deck and sideboard in all portions of the tournament.
Juan Del Compare (level 3 certified judge from Argentina)
TOURNAMENT DIVISION AND PRIZES
The main tournament at Grand Prix-Sao Paulo is open to Magic players of all ages, and will award invitations to Pro Tour - Houston to the top 8 players in the tournament.
In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher in that Grand Prix. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI
Grand Prix-Sao Paulo will feature the standard "main tournament" prize schedule as well as a special "Amateur" prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule . All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
A player is considered to have amateur status if he or she has 0 lifetime pro points. If a player has ever been awarded pro points from a Grand Prix, Pro Tour, or World Championship event, that player no longer has amateur status and is not eligible for amateur awards at Grand Prix or other tournaments.
(Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with 28 or more professional points in the 2002 Osaka Pro Standings.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1950 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI ratings published on March 20, 2002.
- Winners of Grand Prix - Sao Paulo Trial tournaments
- Players with 14 or more professional points in the 2002 Osaka Pro Standings.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1850 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI constructed ratings published on March 20, 2002.
- Players with 7 or more professional points in the 2002 Osaka Pro Standings.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1750 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI ratings published on March 20, 2002.
- Eight-person, on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
Rua São Carlos do Pinhal, 200
São Paulo, Brazil
Phone: 55 11 30167500
(Be sure to mention Grand Prix - São Paulo to receive the discounted room block rate.)
JUDGES & VOLUNTEERS
If you are interested in working as a volunteer or judge at Grand Prix-Sao Paulo, please contact Reid Schmadeka at firstname.lastname@example.org or Henrique Santa Rosa at email@example.com for more details on compensation and schedule for the event. Spaces are limited.
TOURNAMENT PREREGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
Contact for Brazilian Players
Henrique Santa Rosa
Phone: +55 (-11) -327-28524
Contact for Non-Brazil Players
Reid Schmadeka, Territory Manager, Latin America
Phone: (425) 204-7636