Grand Prix San Diego Trials will be run at WPN locations in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 three-round bye to Grand Prix San Diego.
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with local organizer for specific information.
- Extended or Sealed Deck with Booster Draft (or Sealed Deck) Top 8 Playoff (contact local store or check the tournament locator for the format that will be run in that store).
- If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, the Top 8 players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss portion of the Tournament.
- For tournament dates September 29, 2011 and earlier: 6 Magic 2012 boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 3 Magic 2012 boosters per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- For tournament dates September 29, 2011 and later: 6 Innistrad boosters per player for the Sealed Deck portion, 3 Innistrad boosters per player in the Top 8 draft. If a Sealed Deck Top 8 is run instead of a draft, players will play with the same deck they played in the Swiss rounds.
- Deck lists are required
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
Attendance Swiss rounds 8 3, Single-Elimination 9-16 4, Sealed – Top 8, Constructed – Top 4 17 - 32 5 33 - 64 6 65 - 128 7 129 - 226 8 227 - 409 9 410 or higher 10
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 3x, 24K, REL Competitive
- All The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- This is a premier Magic tournament. Organizers and judges of a Grand Prix Trial are not permitted to play in the tournament.
- At least 1 third-round bye at Grand Prix San Diego is offered at each Trial, based on attendance:
Attendance 3-Round Byes Awarded 8 - 32 1 33 - 64 2 65 - 128 4 129+ 8
- Product prizes to be determined by the organizer.
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should call their local contact phone number.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or visit www.wizards.com/customerservice.