The Magic: The Gathering
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix–Singapore is Extended. All DCI
Friday, March 18: Onsite registration is from 4:00 – 9:00 P.M. at Meeting Room 306.
Saturday, March 19: Late registration from 8:30 – 9:30 A.M. Tournament begins at 10:00 A.M. The Top 64 players advance to competition on Sunday.
Sunday, March 20: The Top 64 players begin play at 9:00 A.M.
Level 3, Gallery East (Next to Meeting Room 306)
International Convention & Exhibition Centre
1 Raffles Boulevard
Anthony Scott Waters
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Singapore is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Head Judge
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Singapore will be Wearn Ee Chong, Level 3 from Malaysia.
- Tournament Structure
The structure for Grand Prix–Singapore will be modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds), with the Top 64 players advancing to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- Amateur Status
A player is considered to have amateur status if he or she has 0 lifetime pro points. If a player has ever been awarded any points from a Grand Prix, Pro Tour, or World Championship event, that player no longer has amateur status, and is not eligible for amateur awards at Grand Prix or other tournaments.
- Tournament Divisions and Prizes
Grand Prix–Singapore will feature the standard main tournament prize schedule, as well as a special Amateur division prize schedule. Players who have 0 lifetime Pro Points will be eligible for the Amateur prizes. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $2,400 2 $1,700 3 $1,200 4 $1,000 5-8 $800 9-16 $500 17-32 $250 Total: $17,500 Amateur Division Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $1,500 2 $1,000 3-4 $700 5-8 $400 9-16 $250 Total: $7,500
- Pro Tour Invitations
The Top 8 previously uninvited players will each win an invitation to Pro Tour–Philadelphia. In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher in that Grand Prix. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
- Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with 28 or more professional points in the Columbus 2004 professional standing.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1950 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on December 15, 2004.
- Players with 14 or more professional points in the Columbus 2004 professional standing.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1850 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on December 15, 2004.
- Players with 7 or more professional points in the Columbus 2004 professional standing.
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1750 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on December 15, 2004.
- Grand Prix-Singapore Trials (Full List of Trials)
Friday, March 18: Trials start at 12:00 P.M., 2:00 P.M., 4:00 P.M., and 6:00 P.M. Registration closes 15 minutes prior to each Trial. Maximum 32 players per Trial, single-elimination. The top finisher receives a third-round bye at Grand Prix–Singapore and one display of Betrayers of Kamigawa
boosters. The format is Extended. Cost: S$15
- Pro Tour– Philadelphia Qualifier
Sunday, March 20: Registration closes at 9:15 A.M.; play begins at 9:30 A.M. The top finisher receives US$375 and an invitation to Pro Tour– Philadelphia. The format is Extended. Cost: S$20
- On Demand Tournaments
Eight-person single-elimination, on-demand tournaments will be offered throughout the weekend. Costs: Constructed S$10, Draft S$15, Sealed S$30
Friday, March 4, 2005
Marina Mandarin Singapore is offering room rates from S$160++ (single/double) per night. Please contact Sales Manager Fatimah Abdullah, via Email: email@example.com or Fax: +65-6845-1020, and mention "Magic: the Gathering" to get the preferential rates during this event.
Other hotels in the vicinity of the tournament venue can be found in the area maps below.