Date: December 8-9, 2012
Toronto Congress Center (South)
650 Dixon Road
Registration: $40 CAN
Friday, December 7: 3 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday, December 8: 8 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
The Toronto Magic community is pleased to welcome Magic players from around the world this December. Join us in Canada's cultural capital Toronto, Ontario for a Modern format Grand Prix, where cards from every set since Eighth Edition and Mirrodin will appear on the battlefield. The Toronto Congress Center is a stone's throw from Pearson International Airport, perfect for those players arriving by air.
The event will feature promotional items (playmats, foils), a full slate of side events, vendors, artists, and everything else you've come to expect from a modern Grand Prix. And when the cards are put away, the city offers amazing food, beautiful sights, exciting night life, and a host of other amenities.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal (February 2013).
All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: $40 CAN (Note that tournament fees are in Canadian dollars. A service fee will be levied to players paying in US dollars).
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, December 7: Registration 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday, December 8: Registration 8 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Saturday, December 8: Tournament begins at 10 a.m.
- Sunday, December 9: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Toronto is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity release form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage. Forms can be downloaded here (15k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on this form. Publicity releases will be collected during registration.
- Deck lists are required (download a list here)
- Players must use the same deck on both days of the tournament and throughout playoff rounds.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge for this event will be Cristiana Dionisio. The window to apply for judge sponsorship is closed.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Winners of Grand Prix Toronto Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players with a 2012 Pro Tour Players Club level of 1
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #2 (April 2, 2012 – August 19, 2012)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2012 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 20, 2012 – December 16, 2012)
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Visit the Westcan Events site for a complete listing of all public events.
Raymond Swanland, Anthony Palumbo, and Winona Nelson will be in attendance at Grand Prix Toronto.
- Magic card art by Raymond Swanland
- Magic card art by Anthony Palumbo
- Magic card art by Winona Nelson
Detailed travel information to the venue can be found here.
Grand Prix Toronto is brought to you by the dynamic duo of Mike & Jason of Mike & Jason Events. For additional information, please contact (you guessed it) Mike or Jason:
For information about the venue, contact the Toronto Congress Center at 1.416.245.5000 or email@example.com.