Grand Prix Vienna is brought to you by Gordian Knot Games.
Date: November 29-December 1, 2013
Friday, November 29: 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday, November 30: 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Grand Prix Vienna promises to be one of the best attended Grand Prix of 2013. With loads of amazing Magic events to play in and the wonderful, historic city of Vienna as a backdrop, it can't fail to be incredible. Vienna has a reputation as a vibrant city with great clubs, bars and restaurants as well as museums and galleries for the more discerning player. So remember to preregister (details below) to ensure your place. This Grand Prix will also be your last opportunity to win an invitation to the amazing Super Sunday Series in Seattle.
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Vienna at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Tim Willoughby, Pro Tour Hall of Famer Raphael Levy, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 2 p.m. local time / 1 p.m. GMT / 8 a.m. ET.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour
Born of the Gods in Valencia (February 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: €35
Registration and Schedule
- Preregistration for the event is available from the Gordian Knot Games website.
- Friday, November 29: 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday, November 30: 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
- Saturday, November 30: Grand Prix Vienna begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday, December 1: Day Two begins at 9 a.m.
Players must have a signed publicity and consent form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage and be eligible to receive prizes. Forms can be downloaded here (100k PDF) and will be available onsite. Consent forms are usually collected during registration (contact the event organizer for details).
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day 1 will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day 2 will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit.
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judges for Grand Prix Vienna are Riccardo Tessitori and Kevin Desprez. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through the Magic judge website.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Vienna, the cutoff date will be November 27.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Vienna Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #3 (August 12, 2013 – December 1, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 2 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Gordian Knot Games website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x (excluding casual events such as Grand Melee and Chaos Draft).
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 p.m. we start the Magic Game Show starring Richard Hagon. Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies. Teams can be comprised of between 1 and 4 people.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 4 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in February 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. See the Sunday Series info page for more details.
Winona Nelson and Anthony Palumbo will be attending Grand Prix Vienna. We are also hoping to attract at least one European artist, so check back later for more information.
- Magic card art by Winona Nelson | winonanelson.com
- Magic card art by Anthony Palumbo | anthonypalumboillustration.com
More information can be found on the Messe Wien website.
The closest underground station is Karlsplatz. The ideal exit to entrance D is station "Krieau".
Arriving by Plane
To reach the venue:
- Take the CAT (City Airport Train) to Wien Mitte/Landstraße
- take the U4 line in direction Heiligenstadt
- Get out at Schottenring
- Take the U2 line in direction Aspernstraße
Arriving by Train
From SÜD/OSTBAHNHOF take the underground line U6 towards Floridsdorf to Längenfeldgasse. Then take the U4 line in the direction of Heiligenstadt to Schottenring. Finally it is the U2 line in direction Aspernstraße.
Tournament Organizer: Glen White (Gordian Knot Games)
Phone: +44207 193 6603
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk