Grand Prix Warsaw is brought to you by Gordian Knot Games.
Date: August 9-11, 2013
Registration: 150 zł
Friday, August 9: 2 p.m. - 10 p.m.*
Saturday, August 10: 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.*
Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Warsaw is a perfect embodiment of the changes that have taken place in Europe in the past 20 years. It is a city of many faces: a contrasting blend of past and present. The city has a vibrant night life with a musical scene responding to all tastes. From swanky clubs and pubs to the more alternative places for the adventurous, Warsaw will be a fantastic backdrop for your Grand Prix experience.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out into the Magic tournament community, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play some great Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings (prizes subject to change). Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Warsaw at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv with Marijn Lybaert, Raphael Levy, Rich Hagon, and Steven Leeming. The live video stream will start at approximately 1 p.m. local time / 11 a.m GMT / 7 a.m. ET.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Theros in Dublin (October 2013).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Participation Fee: 150 zł
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, August 9: Registration 14:00* - 22:00*
- Saturday, August 10: Registration 08:00* - 09:00*
- Saturday, August 10: Grand Prix Warsaw begins at 09:30*
- Sunday, August 11: Day Two begins at 09:00*
* Times are approximate and subject to change.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Warsaw is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed publicity and consent form to be included in Wizards of the Coast's official online event coverage and be eligible to receive prizes. Forms can be downloaded here (100k PDF) and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian's signature on this form. Consent forms are usually collected during registration (contact the event organizer for details).
- Deck lists are required.
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or fewer players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 64 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 or better record OR the top 128 players—whichever number is greater—will advance to the second day of the event.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3, and have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The Head Judge for Grand Prix Warsaw is Jurgen Baert. Judges interested in working at this event should submit an application through the Magic judge website.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day 1 and Professional on Day 2.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves, and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Warsaw, the cutoff date will be August 7.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Winners of Grand Prix Warsaw Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Magic Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #1 (December 17, 2012 – March 17, 2013)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2013 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 18, 2013 – August 11, 2013)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the 2012 Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the Gordian Knot Games website. All side events will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Third-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Magic Game Show
On Friday at 8 pm we start the Magic Game Show starring Richard Hagon. Registration is free and you can win some cool Magic goodies. Teams can be comprised of between 1 and 4 people.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Two Super Sunday Series tournaments will be held at each Grand Prix, one Sealed Deck and one Standard. The Top 4 players from each will proceed to play in the Super Sunday Series Final Booster Draft. The Top 4 players in Super Sunday Series Final will each be awarded a special Grand Prix messenger bag. The winner of the Super Sunday Series Final will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship, to be held in February 2014 in Seattle with a prize purse of $20,000. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more. (Details about the Championship will be announced later in 2013.).
To be announced.
Arriving by Plane
All planes arriving in Warsaw land at Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport, located some 12 km from the centre of the city. Buses run from the airport to the city centre and other locations.
Arriving by Train
The closest station to the venue is Warszawa Zachodnia (West Warsaw) and is only a short walk away.
Top 64 payout information: GPPrizes@GordianKnotGames.co.uk