Grand Prix Washington D.C. is brought to you by TJ Collectibles.
Date: June 27-29, 2014
Format: Limited - Theros Block
Entry into the Grand Prix event venue is free of charge.
Online registration available at www.TJcollect.com until Thursday, June 26 at 11:30 p.m.
Onsite registration available on Friday, June 27 from 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
There will be no Saturday registration for this event.
Many Grand Prix offer additional services to participants, such as Sleep-In Specials and VIP packages. Sleep-In Specials allow players with byes to skip the player meeting on Saturday and arrive shortly before their first round begins. VIP packages provide various perks such as complimentary bottled water, special seating, and exclusive artist signings. Details of these services vary from event to event; please check the organizer's site for specifics.Get your promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Truly a Magic-al weekend, the fun begins on Friday! FREE MINI MASTER from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. In addition, there will be non-tournament events starting on Friday with our new Magic Panels, Magic Trivia, Pro Player meet-and-greet, Magic Deck Doctor, and more. The side event schedule is full with an event for everyone serious and casual alike. Wacky Drafts, Standard Showcase, Modern Mayhem, Cobra Commander, Team mini master and Innistrad Sealed Deck provide the opportunity for memorable Magic experiences that lead to a fun filled weekend.
Of course there is the main tournament—GP DC will be one of the only complete Theros Block Grand Prix events in the world! The weekend concludes with one of the hottest events in Magicdom - the Super Sunday Series. Grab a spot at the most exclusive, high-stakes Magic event around—and an all-expenses paid trip to Seattle and Wizards of the Coast to play for a prize pool of $20,000 (under 50 players will be invited!)
The Dulles Expo & Conference Center is located in Chantilly, VA which overlooks Washington, DC. Being just 6 miles from the Dulles Airport gives Chantilly tremendous accessibility. Visit the STEVEN F. UDVAR-HAZY Air and Space CENTER to see the space shuttle Discovery! This area has many hotel and restaurant choices. Three days of varied Magic play makes this a Magic weekend NOT to be missed. Our Grand Prix playmat will be available all three days. Visit TJCollect.com for details. We have confirmed Magic artists RK Post, Lucas Graciano and Lars Grant-West coming, as well as 14 quality vendors on site.
Will you become a god and carve your name in the annals of Magic history at Grand Prix Washington D.C.?
SEE LIVE COVERAGE
Follow live streaming video coverage of Grand Prix Washington D.C. at DailyMTG.com and Twitch.tv. The live video stream will start at approximately 2 p.m. local time / 6 p.m. GMT Saturday.
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to step up your game, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition over three days. In addition to cash prizes, a high Planeswalker Points multiplier, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, the Grand Prix features a host of other activities, including side events and artist signings. Side-event tournaments begin Friday, with the Grand Prix main event running Saturday and Sunday. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
|Place||Prize Money||Pro Points|
| *If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200-2,399 participants, prize money will be paid out to 100th place. If Grand Prix attendance is 2,400 or more participants, prize money will be paid out to 150th place.
Top 4 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir in Honolulu (October 2014).
If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.
All prizes displayed in U.S. dollars. Prizes subject to change.
Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
Participation Fee: $50
Registration and Schedule
- Online Registration until June 26 at www.tjcollect.com
- Friday, June 27: Registration: 2:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 28: Grand Prix Washington DC begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, June 29: Day Two begins at 9:00 a.m.
Registration to the Grand Prix main event closes Friday night. There will be no Saturday registration.
The main tournament at Grand Prix Washington D.C. is open to Magic players of all ages.
Players must have a signed waiver and consent form to compete at Grand Prix Washington D.C.. Forms can be downloaded here and will be available onsite. Minors must have a parent or guardian’s signature on these forms. Minors will not be able to register or play unless we receive a waiver signed by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
- Theros/Born of the Gods/Journey into Nyx Sealed Deck/Draft
- Day One: Sealed Deck
- Day Two and Top 8: Booster draft
- Sealed Deck Product: 2 Journey Into Nyx boosters, 2 Born of the Gods boosters, 2 Theros boosters
- Booster Draft Product: 1 Journey into Nyx booster, 1 Born of the Gods booster, and 1 Theros booster (drafted in that order)
- Deck lists are required.
- If product is not stamped or preregistered, deck registration and deck swap will be performed for the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- Day One will consist of a maximum of 9 Swiss rounds. Day Two will consist of 6 Swiss rounds and the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players – whichever is greater – advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The Top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day Two will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination playoff.
- Top 8 playoff matches will be best 2 of 3.
- Top 8 playoff matches will have no time limit. (Players are still expected to play at a normal pace and complete playoff matches in a reasonable amount of time.)
- The Top 8 players will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting. The Top 8 bracket will be determined using this random seating.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
The head judges for Grand Prix DC are Kevin Desprez (Level 5) and Jared Sylva (Level 4). Judges interested in applying should do so through the Judge Center. Additional questions may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 8x, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive on Day One and Professional on Day Two.
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center .
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals, card sleeves, and appropriate counters or tokens.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Wednesday immediately before the Grand Prix. (For Grand Prix Washington D.C., the cutoff date will be June 25th.) Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix. Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,500 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame
- Winners of Grand Prix Washington D.C. Trial tournaments.
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 750 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Silver
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #2 (March 10, 2014 – June 1, 2014)
- Players who have accumulated at least 400 Planeswalker Points in the 2014 Seasonal Award Season #3 (June 2, 2014 – August 24, 2014)
Winners of a Trial tournament are awarded two byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down. Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players who accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds. For complete information about Grand Prix byes and their corresponding competitive season, please check the Magic Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Along with the main event, there are additional side-event tournaments to play in at a Grand Prix. Listed below are the side events offered at all Grand Prix on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additional events and a full schedule can be found on the www.TJCollect.com website. All side events (except casual events) will have a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 3x.
Earn a valuable Two-Round bye by winning one of the Last-Chance Trials. Last-Chance Trials are 32-person single-elimination events, starting as soon as 32 players register. For more info, check out the Byes section of this page.
A straight Swiss tournament lasting three or four rounds. Participants get 1 past promo card for playing, then one additional promo card per match win. Format varies by event.
Enjoy a special discount on pick-up drafts on Saturday. Actual times and prices vary by event.
Format at organizer's discretion. The winner(s) earn free entry into the "Super Sunday Series" (see below). Players who also played in the main Grand Prix tournament will get a discount for entry.
Super Sunday Series
Qualifier tournaments for the Super Sunday Series will be held at each Grand Prix. The Top 8 players in the Super Sunday Series qualifier will each be awarded a commemorative Grand Prix water bottle. The winner of the Super Sunday Series qualifier will earn an invitation and travel award for the Super Sunday Series Championship 2015, expected to be held in January 23-24 2015 in Seattle. The Super Sunday Series Championship experience also includes a tour of Wizards of the Coast, dinner with Wizards employees, and more.
Three of the hottest artists in Magic will be joining us at Grand Prix Washington D.C. rk post (the artist for the weekend’s play mat), Lucas Graciano and Lars Grant-West will be available to sign cards, playmats and more all 3 days of the Grand Prix. In addition all will be selling prints, artist proofs, and original art/sketches and doing custom alterations of mats and cards!
- Magic card art by rk post
- Magic card art by Lucas Graciano
- Magic card art by Lars Grant-West
- Magic card art by Christopher Rush
Travel by Car
The event site is 17 miles west of the Washington D.C. Beltway. From I-495 take I-66 West to exit 53B - Virginia Route 28 North. Keep right at the fork and merge onto Route 620/Sully Rd/VA-28 North. Travel 3 miles and then Turn Right on Willard Road. The Dulles Expo Center is on your left. Please note that traffic is a big factor throughout the metropolitan area. Accordingly, 30 minutes traffic-free becomes 60 minutes when traffic peaks.
Miles to Venue from Surrounding Cities:
Baltimore MD - 65 miles
Richmond VA - 120 miles
Philadelphia PA - 166 miles
New York City - 250 miles
Pittsburgh - 250 miles
Raleigh NC - 290 miles
Travel by Plane
Dulles International Airport (IAD) is 8 miles (15 minutes) from the event venue. All hotels recommended on this fact sheet offer free shuttle service to and from the airport, as well as between the hotel and the event venue.
Reagan National Airport (DCA) - 30 miles from event venue. Public transportation available for $7 via Metro Rail with a transfer to the Fairfax Connector Bus. From the airport take Metro Rail's Blue Line (direction - Largo) until you reach the Rosslyn rail station. Transfer to the Orange rail line (direction - Vienna/Fairfax). Exit at the Vienna/Fairfax Station and transfer to the #650, #651, or #652 Farifax Connector Bus. Ask the driver to drop you off at "Sullyfield Circle & Westmoreland St.". Walk .3 miles South on Brookfield Corporate Drive. Turn Right on Chantilly Shopping Center Road. The Dulles Expo Center is on your right. Another transportation option is Washington Flyer Super Shuttle Shared Ride from airport to event venue - $30.
Travel by Train
Amtrak depot, Union Station in Washington DC. - 30 miles from event site. Public transportation available for $8 via Metro Rail with a transfer to the Fairfax Connector Bus. From Union Station take Metro Rail's Red Line (direction - Shady Grove) to the Metro Center rail station. Transfer to the Orange rail line (direction - Vienna/Fairfax). Exit at the Vienna/Fairfax Station and transfer to the #650, #651, or #652 Farifax Connector Bus. Ask the driver to drop you off at "Sullyfield Circle & Westmoreland St.". Walk .3 miles South on Brookfield Corporate Drive. Turn right on Chantilly Shopping Center Road. The Dulles Expo Center is on your right.