Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour – Kobe Qualifier
January 24-25, 2004
The Magic: The Gathering
TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
The format for Grand Prix – Okayama is Extended Constructed. All DCI
- Friday, January 23: Registration from 16:00-20:00. Players who cannot attend registration will be allowed to register on Saturday morning between 08:00 and 08:30 for an additional fee of ¥1000.
- Saturday, January 24: Tournament begins at 09:00. The Top 64 players from Day 1 advance to Day 2.
- Sunday, January 25: Play begins at 9:00. The Top 8 players from Day 2 will play 3 rounds of single-elimination competition to determine the Grand Prix – Okayama champion.
Okayama Orange Hall
http://www.optic.or.jp/oroshi/ (Japanese only)
ACCESS TO ORANGE HALL
• From Okayama station, take the bus bound for "Oroshi Center" or the bus bound for the "Fukushi Center" to the Oroshi Center-mae stop.
• 10 minutes by taxi from Okayama station
• 20 minutes' walk from Okayama station
TOURNAMENT PREREGISTRATION AND PLAYER CONTACT
Players may pre-register online no later than January 14 (Wednesday) at Hobby Japan's Magic home page. (Note: In order to use Hobby Japan's online registration page, your browser must be capable of displaying Japanese.)
Contact for Non-Japanese Players
Ron Foster, Japan Organized Play Manager
The main tournament at Grand Prix – Okayama is open to Magic players of all ages.
If a player who wins an invitation to Pro Tour – Kobe at Grand Prix – Okayama has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation shall be extended to the next-best finisher. Previous qualification may occur through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid on the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
The format for Grand Prix – Okayama is Extended Constructed. All DCI Constructed format rules and Magic Floor Rules announced on October 1, 2003, along with all subsequent updates, will be enforced.
For the latest information on Limited formats, refer to the 2004 Floor Rules.
The structure for Grand Prix – Okayama is modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds, with the number of rounds determined by the number of participants), with the Top 64 players advancing to the Sunday finals for prizes and invitations. After 6 additional rounds of Swiss competition on Sunday, the Top 8 players will face off in single elimination play to determine the Grand Prix—Okayama champion.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative through the season or year.)
Byes for Grand Prix – Okayama are based on the Pro Tour Boston professional standings and DCI ratings as of October 22, 2003. Please refer to the Grand Prix Okayama bye list for details.
Masayuki Kunimitsu (Level 3/Japan)
Grand Prix–Okayama will feature the standard main tournament prize schedule as well as a special Amateur prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
A player is considered to have amateur status if he or she has 0 lifetime pro points. If a player has ever been awarded ANY pro points from a Grand Prix, Pro Tour, or World Championship event, that player no longer has amateur status, may not participate in the Amateur Championship or Junior Super Series tournaments, and is not eligible for amateur awards at Grand Prix or other tournaments.
- Pro Tour – Kobe Qualifier
- Eight-person, on-demand tournaments
- Artist signings
PRO TOUR – KOBE QUALIFIER TOURNAMENT
- When: January 25 (Sunday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 2,000
- Format: Extended Constructed
- Registration: Saturday, January 24 from 17:00.
- Prizes: The top two players will each win an invitation to Pro Tour—Kobe. Additionally, the first place player will earn $250 in travel money.
DARKSTEEL PRERELEASE TOURNAMENT
- When: January 25 (Sunday)
- Entry Fee: ¥ 3,000 (includes sealed deck product)
- Format: Mirrodin Block Limited (Sealed Deck)
- Registration: Sunday, January 25 from 9:00-13:00. A new flight will begin once 32 players have registered.
- Prizes: The first place player in each flight will win 1 box of Darksteel boosters. Additional prizes will be handed out to players with a winning match record.
EIGHT-PERSON ON-DEMAND TOURNAMENTS
- Standard, Extended: ¥ 500
- Booster Draft: ¥ 1,000
- Sealed Deck: ¥ 2,000
SPECIAL GUEST ARTIST
NOTE: The following hotels are not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. The hotels on this list are taken from guidebooks and provided here for your convenience only.
- Hotel Granvia Okayama
1-5 Eki Moto-machi
Single rooms from ¥9,500
- Dai-ichi Inn Okayama
16-17 Eki Moto-machi
Single rooms from ¥ 7,000
- Hotel New Okayama
1-1-25 Eki Moto-machi
Single rooms from ¥ 9,000