Magic: The Gathering
By entering Wizards of the Coast, Inc.’s (“Wizards”) The Great Designer Search (the “Search”), you (“you” or “contestant”) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and any other requirements designated by Wizards.
- No Purchase Necessary. The Search is subject to the eligibility requirements and terms and conditions herein. The Search begins at 12:01 a.m. PST on August 25, 2006. Limit one (1) entry per person. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE A PURCHASE OR PROVIDE OTHER CONSIDERATION TO ENTER OR WIN.
- Eligibility: The following eligibility requirements must be met in order to enter and participate in the Search:
As of August 25, 2006, you must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
As of August 25, 2006, you must be legally eligible for long-term work in the United States for any employer and to live in the United States. Upon request, proof of such eligibility must be provided to Wizards.
You must be fluent in English.
If you qualify for the Final Round, you must timely and fully complete an application, questionnaire, Consent and Release Agreement, and other documents designated by Wizards.
If you are selected as the Winner, you must (i) timely and fully complete all documents as designated by Wizards and (ii) be willing to move and live near Wizards’ Renton, Washington headquarters, at your own expense, for six (6) months beginning in January 2007.
Employees of Wizards, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, agents, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, and fulfillment companies, and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) and members of their same households (related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Search.
- How to Enter: To enter the Search, go to www.magicthegathering.com between 12:01 a.m. PST on August 25, 2006 and 11:59 p.m. PST on August 28, 2006, click on The Great Designer Search link, and follow the on-screen instructions. To complete your entry, you must (a) complete a series of short essays and (b) submit on the provided Web form your essays along with your complete name and e-mail address no later than 11:59 pm. PST on August 28, 2006. Wizards will notify by e-mail only those who have qualified for the Exam Round of the Search. This e-mail notification will include instructions for how to complete the Exam Round. All materials submitted to Wizards throughout the Search are the property of Wizards and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Search Dates and Deadlines:
Exam Round: For those who qualify, the Exam Round includes one or two multiple choice exams that assess contestants’ Magic: The Gathering knowledge. The e-mail sent by Wizards to those who have qualified will include the the Exam Round start and end dates. If Wizards determines a second exam is necessary, it will notify by e-mail those who have qualified for the second exam and include instructions for how to complete it. Upon the conclusion of the exam (or the second exam if there is one), Wizards will notify by e-mail those who have qualified for the Semifinal Round. This e-mail notification will include instructions for how to complete the Semifinal Round.
Semifinal Round: For those who qualify, the Semifinal Round will begin and end on the dates and times specified by Wizards in its e-mail notification sent after the conclusion of the Exam Round. While Wizards anticipates that there will be approximately fifty (50) semifinalists, Wizards retains the sole discretion to change the number of semifinalists. This Semifinal Round will include an assignment that will assess the contestants’ Magic: The Gathering game design abilities. Wizards will notify by e-mail only those who may qualify for the Final Round. This e-mail notification will include instructions for how to compete in the Final Round.
Final Round: Before the Final Round begins, the remaining contestants must fully and timely complete and submit to Wizards an application, questionnaire, Consent and Release Agreement, and any other documentation designated by Wizards. For those who fully and timely submit these documents, Wizards will send an e-mail with instructions for how to complete the first Final Round assignment. While Wizards expects that there will be approximately ten (10) to fifteen (15) finalists, Wizards retains the sole discretion to change the number of finalists. Once each week until there are three finalists remaining, Wizards will eliminate one or more contestants. Wizards will assign a Magic: The Gathering design-related task to the remaining finalists to complete and submit within forty-eight (48) hours. Wizards will notify by e-mail only those contestants who have not been eliminated in the weekly eliminations. When Wizards has eliminated all but three (3) contestants, Wizards will interview each of the remaining contestants. The interview portion of the Search may also include a written component. After the conclusion of the interviews, Wizards may select the Winner.
- Confidentiality. Until the deadline has concluded for completing the then-current portion of the Search, contestants may not discuss that round, including without limitation discussing any assignment or quiz on any online message boards, forums or the like. Failure to comply with this confidentiality obligation may result in disqualification.
- Judging: Each portion of the Search will test the contestants’ knowledge and development and design skills as they relate to Magic: The Gathering. Wizards may consider any materials submitted by a contestant at any time during the Search as a part of any portion/round of the Search (e.g., Wizards may evaluate a contestant’s essays submitted at the entry of the Search as part of the Exam Round and/or the Semifinals).
All decisions made by Wizards on all matters relating to this Search are confidential and binding. By entering the Search, contestants agree to abide by the judges’ decisions and waive any right to challenge or appeal any portion of the Search. The Winner, if one, will be notified by e-mail or telephone. If the Winner is unable to be contacted within seven (7) days after three (3) attempts have been made, the Winner may be disqualified and a new Winner may be chosen.
- The Internship: Wizards may select one (1) Search contestant to receive a paid internship with Wizards’ Magic: The Gathering Research and Development Department (the “Winner”). Wizards reserves the right to not select a Winner. All expenses incurred as a result of being selected as the Winner, including travel and housing, are the sole responsibility of the Winner.
The Winner will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability and Publicity and any other documentation/paperwork required by Wizards. Noncompliance with these requirements or failure to comply with any terms of these Official Rules will result in the Winner’s disqualification.
- Search Requirements Subject to Change: Because of the unique nature and scope of this Search, and because of the complexity of the administration of this Search, Wizards reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any dates, deadlines, or other provisions or requirements set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing this Search at any time without notice. To remain eligible contestants must comply with all dates, deadlines and other requirements as determined by Wizards in its sole discretion.
- Conditions: Wizards has no obligation to contestants whatsoever. Wizards is under no obligation to select contestants to participate in any portion of the Search. Wizards will not pay any money or give any other consideration to contestants for their participation in the Search (with the exception of the Winner, if one).
Failure to comply with any portion of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. A contestant will be disqualified, at the sole discretion of Wizards, if he or she attempts to (a) enter the Search through any means other than described in these Official Rules; or (b) disrupt the Search, circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, or in any way tamper with any component of the Search. Wizards reserves the right, exercisable at any time in its sole discretion, to disqualify you from the Search should you at any time supply untruthful, inaccurate, or misleading personal information or for any other reason or no reason at all.
Contestants acknowledge and agree that (i) they are the sole author of any materials they submit to Wizards as part of the Search (the “Materials”), (ii) they own the copyright in and to their Materials, and (iii) the Materials do not infringe any third party rights (including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade dress rights, or rights of privacy or publicity). By entering the Search, contestants hereby assign to Wizards all intellectual property rights in and to any Materials. Such Materials are the property of Wizards, and upon Wizards’ request, contestants agree to execute any documents necessary to effectuate such ownership. Contestants specifically acknowledge and agree that Wizards will have the right, without restriction, to use, reproduce, publish and distribute any Materials submitted without payment of any compensation or consideration to any contestant or any other person or entity (except the prize awarded to the Winner pursuant to these Official Rules). By entering the Search, contestants agree that Wizards may post any Materials they provide to Wizards online and has the right to use such Materials along with contestant’s name, city or other personal information on Wizards’ website, products, services, and in any and all publicity and advertising for Wizards, including without limitation this Search or other promotions, without any attribution, notification or compensation to contestants or any other person or entity.
Wizards and its agencies are not responsible for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to, or alterations of, the Materials, or failure to receive any entry information, including without limitation the Materials. Further, Wizards and its agencies are not responsible for late, lost, damaged, destroyed, delayed, illegible, postage-due or incomplete entries, including without limitation the Materials. Wizards reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend, modify or cancel the Search at any time without notice. By participating in the Search, contestants agree to forever release, indemnify and hold harmless Wizards, its current and former directors, officers, employees, subsidiaries, parent, affiliates, divisions, and agencies, from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising from, incidental to, or in connection with the Search, or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, including, without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by contestant or a third party. By participating in the Search, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. The Winner (if one), on behalf of him or herself, his or her executors, heirs and assigns, by acceptance of a prize, agrees to forever release Wizards, it parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees and agents from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses of any kind to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or otherwise.
This Search and these Official Rules will be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of the State of Washington, and you agree to accept the exclusive jurisdiction in the courts of the State of Washington located in King County. Any waiver by Wizards of any provision of the Official Rules shall not be a waiver of such provision for the future. The invalidity or unenforceability of any part of the Official Rules shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any of the remainder of the Official Rules.
- Announcement of the Winner: Wizards will announce the Winner (if one) no later than January 31, 2007 on www.magicthegathering.com.
- Search Sponsor: The Search is sponsored by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., P.O. Box 707, Renton, WA 98057-0707.
2006 Wizards. All rights reserved.