To apply, you need to write a 250-350 word essay for each of the ten questions below. If any question is under or over the required length, the entire test may be discarded.
- Introduce yourself and explain why you are a good fit for this internship.
- Explain three positive ways "mana screw" affects Magic.
- Name a popular, existing mechanic and explain how you would make it better.
- From a design standpoint, what was the best thing about the Champions of Kamigawa block?
- From a design standpoint, what was the worst thing about the Ravnica block?
- We design cards for three player psychographics: Timmy, Johnny and Spike. In the average set, who should the most cards be designed for? Why? Who should the fewest cards be designed for? Why?
- Imagine you must eliminate a card type (artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land or sorcery) from Magic. Which one would you choose and why?
- You stumble upon a time machine and travel back to the early 90's. What is the one change you would recommend Richard Garfield make with Alpha? (You must recommend a change.)
- You are forced to move counterspelling out of blue. What color do you move it to and why?
- What is Magic design currently doing wrong? How would you do it right?
When you are ready, click below to launch the web form to enter your answers. Because of the amount of writing involved, we recommend using a word processor to prepare your answers and to save frequently. Then, when you're all set, you can open up the web form below and paste in your answers.
When you are done with your answers, click here to launch the web form. Those that advance to the next round will be notified at the email address they provided in the form.