The preliminary rounds of the Magic Invitational will consist of fifteen matches (best two out of three) with each player facing off against every other player once. The two players with the best record at the end of the fifteen rounds will meet in the finals. The finals will consist of three matches (best two out of three games each) with the two finalists playing each of the three constructed formats. The winner will be the first player to win matches in two formats. Order of these final matches will be determined by blind voting submitted by the players at the player meeting.
The fifteen preliminary rounds will consist of five different formats: three constructed and two limited. Each format will be used for three matches.
Players will need to construct the following three decks for the Invitational:
- Standard - The following sets will be used for this format: Sixth Edition, Nemesis, Mercadian Masques, Urza's Destiny, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Saga. This format will follow the banned list as of January 1, 2000:
- Classic - All tournament legal expansions will be used for this format. This format will use the banned and restricted list as of January 1, 2000:
Any ante card
Formerly But No Longer Banned
Library of Alexandria
Mind Over Matter
Stroke of Genius
Wheel of Fortune
Formerly But No Longer Restricted
- Block Party - Decks for this format may be from any previous block constructed format. All cards banned in a block constructed format are banned in this format. The following blocks are legal:
Ice Age block (Ice Age, Homelands, Alliances)
Banned: Amulet of Quoz, Thawing Glaciers, Timmerian Fiends, Zuran Orb
Mirage block (Mirage, Visions, Weatherlight)
Banned: Squandered Resources
Tempest block (Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus)
Banned: Cursed Scroll
Urza's Saga block (Urza's Saga, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny)
Banned: Gaea's Cradle, Memory Jar, Serra Sanctum, Time Spiral, Tolarian Academy, Voltaic Key, Windfall
Mercadian Masques block (Mercadian Masques, Nemesis)
All limited events will have a forty card deck minimum size restriction. The following are the limited formats used at the 2000 Magic Invitational:
- Duplicate - All competitors will receive an identical card mix from which to construct their deck.
- Solomon Draft - This is a two player draft format. A randomly selected player begins by flipping up eight cards from the top of the card pile. He divides the eight cards into two piles (the piles need not be of the same size) allowing the other player to chose which pile to draft. The two players alternate dividing and drafting until all the cards have been selected. Each match will have a new draft involving different cards.